Prediction Changes Dogs V North 18/6/2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Poulter injured ?
If not why in the hell did we draft him ?
Played all year and can’t even make an extended bench amongst that lot ?

When‘s training next week , I’m nailing in some stops and making a comeback !
He is 20 and has only been in okay form taking him mid year doesn't mean we have to play him right away

I have seen more depth in a bird bath than the dogs have the moment. If we keep promoting guys that have had so many chances it is ample proof. We desperately need some young talent next season especially speedy midfielders Bont, Libba, Jacko and ADZ are not getting any younger.

This VFL "form" you talk about is smashing an undermanned Cats outfit and really just falling in against Frankston. Not really "form" iny book
And yet none of the young kids did anything against these poor VFL sides hence they're not selected

This is a list management issue not a coaching or selection issue, They are currently the best performing "depth" we have which shows how poor our "depth" is

I’d have more sympathy for those posters if their selection concerns were warranted, but they’re not. It’s not like Bevo’s leaving English to rot in the 2’s.

Saw it with West, saw it with Sweet, seen it with others. When they end up coming in and doing sweet f**k all, Crickets. We’ll eventually see it with Khamis and Cleary, and no doubt hear more Crickets. Then who’s going to be left? Maybe they’ll lose it over Sullivan not getting a game?
I agree with all except Cleary actually performed quite well in his 2 games last year and I think he can make it at the level however West/Sweet/Khamis completely agree role players in bottom 6 teams

To be a top team like Port (who I think will win the flag) or the Pies you need to take the game on through the corridor. To employ this game plan you need speed, good decision makers and players who are elite by foot. The dogs do not have many that fit into this criteria and are forced into a different style of play that probably only succeeds against the likes of Port and Pies if they have below game for their standards.

PS
If Port were not going well enough and we allow them to grab a player like Narkle when we could have had him is dumb decision. He would have been straight into our team.

To be a top team like Port (who I think will win the flag) or the Pies you need to take the game on through the corridor. To employ this game plan you need speed, good decision makers and players who are elite by foot. The dogs do not have many that fit into this criteria and are forced into a different style of play that probably only succeeds against the likes of Port and Pies if they have below game for their standards.

PS
If Port were not going well enough and we allow them to grab a player like Narkle when we could have had him is dumb decision. He would have been straight into our team.
With Dale, Red & JJ we have just as much speed and skill off half back as the Pies & Power. It’s a coaching issue, these teams spread the ground so well, anyone looks quick on a fast break with the overlap. We congest the ground at both ends as is our style, could load up with 100m sprinters and it wouldn’t make a difference to how slow we are

With Dale, Red & JJ we have just as much speed and skill off half back as the Pies & Power. It’s a coaching issue, these teams spread the ground so well, anyone looks quick on a fast break with the overlap. We congest the ground at both ends as is our style, could load up with 100m sprinters and it wouldn’t make a difference to how slow we are

Out those I would only rate Dale as a consistent elite kick. Plus Rozee and Butters are quick good ball users. Also Butters spreads well. LOL

Are we certain we can't lose to the Bye?

Port drop their captain and say nobody is safe, we consistently reward spuds and replace spuds with spuds. I would happily cut eight to 10 from the list at the end of the year, wouldn't care about it being too deep. The sooner it happens the better. Funnily enough all our ins this week would be first to go.

I'm confident we win this week (not confident of any decent margin though).

But IF we were to lose, not only would it be catastrophic on several levels, but the bye's odds would make it an almost unbackable favourite! :laughing:

Out those I would only rate Dale as a consistent elite kick. Plus Rozee and Butters are quick good ball users. Also Butters spreads well. LOL
Has two sisters in the AFLW - one called Marge and one called Flora.

This is a list management issue not a coaching or selection issue, They are currently the best performing "depth" we have which shows how poor our "depth" is

Agree, but surely the coach (especially after 9 years) has a significant say in the composition of the list? He might be constrained by the players currently available, but many posters are saying we have an ordinary list overall. I'd argue that is due to decisions and actions by all of Sam Power, Dom Milesi, Luke Beveridge and Chris Grant.

This VFL "form" you talk about is smashing an undermanned Cats outfit and really just falling in against Frankston. Not really "form" iny book
Fair call but it is all we have got and why we need to play our better players in the seniors in the positions where the TEAM will benefit most by utilising their strengths where we have weaknesses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's saying the selections this week are a list management issue, not necessarily the composition of our list as a whole?
Foxman98 - hope I'm not putting words in your mouth?
Yes pretty much,

This week if you look at what wasn't selected outside of Cleary genuinely only options are a stab in the dark with kids who haven't done anything at VFL level or the same olds who are performing but realistically should've been culled.

Given we are in the 8 and still challenging its a no brainer to go with what is performing as putrid as it looks

Fair call but it is all we have got and why we need to play our better players in the seniors in the positions where the TEAM will benefit most by utilising their strengths where we have weaknesses

So you're blaming the coach? I'm not in the sack Bevo camp, but I agree, team selection and placement is one of several major issues. The problem is how to address that, and who can ask/direct the coach to play players in optimal positions.

Just out of curiosity. Does any stats genius here know what Bevo's win/Loss ratio is against Ratten?

'The problem is how to address that, and who can ask/direct the coach to play players in optimal positions.'

Surely it's on the coach to play players in their optimal positions.

Without sounding like a complete apologist for our visually and intellectually challenged selectors, surely we would have to assume that the 3 inclusions would at least be marginally better than what was served up last week by the 3 outs.
So, isn't that a definition of a plus rather than a minus? Straws - clutching at?

Last edited:
I think he's saying the selections this week are a list management issue, not necessarily the composition of our list as a whole?
Foxman98 - hope I'm not putting words in your mouth?
The coach may have some involvement in the list composition but this is actually the responsibility of others headed by the list manager.

Week to week selection is about putting the best available team on the ground, though it is a shock how bad it looks, this is about the best available team we could put on the park. Even if we say Cleary is unlucky he is not currently significantly better than Crozier.

How we prepare and execute this week is a combination of the coaching and playing group.

How we prepare for the remainder of the season is up to the coach and the area I have the biggest concern with setting up compared to the top teams, with too many players no in their natural positions and a forward line where we seem to look at players individually not as a goal scoring group (Ie Collingwood's Forward line) and a backline where we play too many players with limited attributes which is further exacerbated by our injuries (Ie Melbourne's Back Line) and a midfield that lacks speed and those who have speed are careless with their skills (Ie Port Adelaide)

I have no problem with us selecting Hannan but will be annoyed if he doesn’t play mainly forward.

Please don’t reward his 5 goal effort by playing him at half back, Bevo.

Our depth is not great at the moment as we have too many solid VFL players who can't step up to the AFL.

The one player who I believe is being played in the wrong position is Khamis. I would be playing him as the 3rd defender in the VFL. He looks better being lead to the ball and intercepting. I would love to see him switched to this role for the second half of the year to see what he can do. If it works you could get away with two key defenders and playing Khamis 3rd tall. He looks all lost in a VFL crowded forward line playing closest to goal for most of the year.

Its no coincidence that we won 7 from 8 games when these three were all playing in the same time.

Nor is a coincidence that we've lost 3 in a row without 2 of them.

We have an absolute dearth of players who can play these attacking utilities across the ground. The situation is so bad that we lose all momentum as soon as we lose just two running players.

The reality is that with the rotating smorgasbord of bog average mids that we have on the fringes of the side. There isn't a single player who can be guaranteed to be on the list for reasons other than the need for warm bodies to make up the numbers over the next couple of years.

For all of the pie in the sky discussion about trading for this un-contracted player or that un-contracted player. If this club doesn't clean out and address the quality of its midfield depth, then its on a precipitous slide back into years of mediocrity.

Without sounding like a complete apologist for our visually and intellectually challenged selectors, surely we would have to assume that the 3 inclusions would at least be marginally better than what was served up last week by the 3 outs.
So, isn't that a definition of a plus rather than a minus? Straws - clutching at?
Probably but we're also playing North rather than a top 2 side so these players are likely to provide more than their dropped counterparts last week.

It will paper over cracks and Bevo will get all excited again by taking care of a significantly worse team by 5-6 goals in unconvincing fashion.

The only one of the extended bench that would really piss me off being included would be McComb. Not an AFL player, doesn't have a spot on the field for us and is a poor ball user when he does get it. Just a good VFL player, but he doesn't need to feature again at AFL level for us IMO. Hannan meh, been playing pretty well in the VFL but I don't want him in the team, at worst hopefully only being considered as the sub.
If McComb is to ever make it, he needs his attack on the ball and man to be Clay Smith like. That has to be is one wood and point of differentiation within our squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back