Preview Changes for Rd 11 v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps the penny has dropped after all.

If Allen plays the majority of the game in defence whilst Naitanui is on the ground, then this becomes a very balanced squad.

Brander finally named in the backline, it will be interesting to see if that holds true during the match - I have long believed that a rebounding role from defence is the position he would be best suited towards, so I will be keeping an eye on in regard to this.

If both Allen and Brander are being used as defenders, then it frees up Nelson to go as a run-with player through the midfield - most likely to Parish (who since Round 3 has been averaging 33 disposals, 8 clearances and 8 score involvements per game).

When Parish has had 30+ disposals this year, Essendon are 4-1; with the lone loss being by 2 points to GWS away.
Conversely, when Parish has failed to get 30 disposals this year, Essendon are 0-5.

Shut Parish down and the midfield battle should fall our way, allowing the forwards opportunity to be decisive in determining the result. With a healthier array of ground level players, the team's forward half stoppage game will also be far more imposing, which will translate territory dominance into scoreboard impact.

If the weather does not intervene too significantly I would not be surprised if this ends up being the club's best four quarter performance of the season thus far.
Brander playing the 2020 Jack Lukosius role? A fridge boy can dream

Waterman and Rotham are not smalls or medium nor midfielders either.

190ish and 193cm.

Rotham has been decent, Snake needs to get a bit more match fit and get played as a lead up 3rd tall.

Jones for Waterman is a no brainer in the wet. Sorry its against your bro but team first.
There I was thinking Brander played on the wing - semantics is it? But generally i agree. But the game is evolving. Bont? Green form DGS had 27 and 2 goals he is the same height as JD and at 18 about 3kg lighter. Its how you play not how long you are pronate

Waterman and Rotham are not talls. One a forward one a defencer so their selection is not relevant to the midfield were we are weakest. Waterman to me isnt a AFL level regardless.
Brander is a young mid who shows enoung to be persevered with.
Edwards is tall and is not ready for AFL but has to play because we dont have Fatty. We need the height to combat the 200sm ish forwards our short opponents seem to have.

Given that I cannot see how a bunch of players that cannot perform unde rWAFL level pressure should be given a go over players who are doing ok at AFL level in relevant positions.

Two of the players mentioned are both out this week

I can't even imagine how hard I will melt if Yeo goes down.

This reeks of desperation imo
WC are so cautious now with their long term injuries, I’m sure Yeo will be ready to go.
I’m definitely not expecting 20 possessions first up, but I do expect him to bring a lot of physical pressure around the contest which should bring other players into the game.

How good is it going to be seeing Yeo out there. Really hope he doesn't die.

Brander being retained after last weeks shamozzle is a pleasant surprise.

Normally he'd be straight on Simmo's hit list after a tough away loss, with some gimp moments to boot.

I'll be wanting Ah Chee to do something special this week. He popped up with his blue moon game vs the Hawks but since then he's been average. Had 5 clangers vs the Giants which was a team high, and didn't lay a single tackle. He also also went at 50%DE yet only had 37 metres gained :shrug:

Makes sense leaving him in instead of Jake for a wet game, but going forward ideally i'd be switching that around.

I can't even imagine how hard I will melt if Yeo goes down.

This reeks of desperation imo
Remember 2012 or 2013 when natanui had OP ?

Didn't play the first couple of months then he finally came back and lasted about 10 games before he had the bite the bullet and have surgery.

I'm getting those vibes with the yeo situation

Geez I hope we dont immediately cook Yeo with his inclusion. Feels like the MC are rushing players back in to address our flagging season.

WC are so cautious now with their long term injuries, I’m sure Yeo will be ready to go.

Are we?

It looked like we rushed Hurn and Ryan back in for last week and they both played like they needed to see WAFL minutes, and then after being told Yeo's gotta play at least another match in the 2s he finds himself in the 22 following another crap loss on the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we?

It looked like we rushed Hurn and Ryan back in for last week and they both played like they needed to see WAFL minutes, and then after being told Yeo's gotta play at least another match in the 2s he finds himself in the 22 following another crap loss on the road.
Hurn was fine, Ryan was lazy and nether player reinjured themselves. Also 2 All Australian players why the * wouldn’t you select them, when they are fit and ready to go. You think it’s a better idea to have a player that gets $20,000 a week to sit on the sidelines and lose more condition when they are fit and ready to go.

Reckon Yeo might spend more time forward than we think. Allen back means the forward line won't be too tall

or does Yeo spend more time down back?? It wasn’t that long ago we were saying he was another failed attempt at turning a halfback flank into a midfielder.

Geez I hope we dont immediately cook Yeo with his inclusion. Feels like the MC are rushing players back in to address our flagging season.

There's no more chance cooking a bloke playing him in AFL as there is in WAFL. Its not like players automatically slow down or only run in straight lines when they are playing WAFL. I can remember Kerr rolling his ankle returning through WAFL and from memory that was all she wrote for him that season. The issue is whether the match committee think he has done enough to contribute to the team playing less minutes than whoever he is going to replace.

Last edited:
There's no more chance cooking a bloke playing him in AFL as there is in WAFL. Its not like players automatically slow down or only run in straight lines when they are playing WAFL. I can remember Kerr rolling his ankle returning through WAFL and from memory that was all she wrote for him that season. The issue is whether the match committee think he has done enough to contribute to the team playing less minutes than whoever he is going to replace.
That's a good point. The WAFL boys might not have as much fitness as AFL as they aren't full time (though I think they are still pretty fit these days) but they're definitely out there to play 100% and hurt you if they get the chance. It's a semi-pro league after all and one of the highest grades of Football in the country.

It's probably because covid lockdown in Melbourne will impact the fixtures meaning we might play tigers a week earlier, so they decided to play him now so he gets that extra week of match fitness to be ready. Just a thought. Either way injury-free Yeo with 1% fitness is still better than most of our boys. LOL
Here's hoping! (image of a returning Shuey limping from ground)
We need him...

We should be playing Yeo in the 2s for the rest of the year just to be sure he's right to go, can't take any chances.

He scan still get injured/pull up sore from playing in the WAFL. Cameron just died last week in fact.

It's not like we can ask Yeo to go half paced in the WAFL or anything, he's a bull and a sex object.

All we can do is manage his loads/TOG, whether that's at AFL level or WAFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back