Preview Changes/Preview – Round 8 vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're 5-2 with decent percentage. Why wouldn't we be sitting in 4th?
Who have we beaten? The only side we’ve beaten that will probably play finals is Port. We’ve lost to Brisbane who are now a genuine chance not to play finals. Sydney we actually weren’t awful but they got hold of us late.

The next two games will give us an indication, a proper indication, of where we are. If we somehow beat Geelong I’ll totally give credence to our top 4 position, however, I am not getting excited by our percentage when we’ve beaten one ok side.

Love doing these never actually gonna happen changes:

Out: Sparrow, Billings
In: Tholstrup, Sestan

Geelong absolutely smashed Carlton on the turnover. Would prefer some lively half forwards who can focus on applying pressure and getting to the feet of our talls than Sparrow and Billings chugging along in the wake of their opponents.

Following week we need to get McAdam in for one of those half forwards, and if Petty doesn’t show something replace him with Fullarton
I like your optimism but Sestan and
Tholstrup won’t make a dent against Geelong. Even still, is it worth a go? Maybe. We simply need to win in the middle and get some decent coverage from Petty.

50+? We rarely get genuinely spanked anymore, probably be more like the Brisbane game where Fritta will kick a few late out the back and keep the margin respectable.

Hopefully we can pull a 2018 and blow them away though, Weid 20 and 3 incoming.
That would genuinely be amazing. I still remember that Tuohy goal after the siren that year.

Who have we beaten? The only side we’ve beaten that will probably play finals is Port. We’ve lost to Brisbane who are now a genuine chance not to play finals. Sydney we actually weren’t awful but they got hold of us late.

The next two games will give us an indication, a proper indication, of where we are. If we somehow beat Geelong I’ll totally give credence to our top 4 position, however, I am not getting excited by our percentage when we’ve beaten one ok side.
I think it appears that teams cannot win more than 3 games on the trot.

They just cannot maintain the defensive intensity for more than 3 weeks in a row. This IMV is why we didn't matchup on the Lions; coming refreshed from a loss.

This year the top 4 is imperative, for the double chance.
The top Teams are so close in capability.

Not sure I agree with the last point. 2017-18 Oliver destroyed teams that way. It was really how he moved through traffic and was able to win the ball and find someone on the outside in one motion that made him special. I think trying to make him something he's not has made him lose a bit of that magic.

Agree totally.

After headless did that poll to vote on the period demon fans liked the best, and most came in with 2015-18 I’ve been rewatching a lot of those games. Oliver is magical at his own thing. Trying to tell him to be Chris Judd, or Fyfe, or whoever is unhelpful.

Who even cares if he doesn’t have enough of an all round game to be called the best mid in the comp? It’s media who create that crap. Oliver hasn’t weighed into the debate. He’s plenty good enough at what he does well, and has some awards to go with it.

I'm not normally one to quote myself from yesteryear, but I remember this discussion about Oliver's kicking has come up before, found that I posted in June 2020 (it was in response to posters who were suggesting to trade him).

"Nah we can't trade the best proponent of the handball currently in the game, what we need to do is tell the other midfielders to get on their bikes like 2018 and back him to find them with his hand pass, which can be accurate over 10-15 metres to players on the move. Also it feels like he or the coaches or both listened to commentators in 2018 who kept saying he needed to kick the ball more to become a complete player, but why, he was a gun because of his handpass, his kicking is average, though he could just go for goal more inside 50, which goes for the whole team really."

I suppose the dump kicking was fine through 2021-2023 as it was part of the overall game plan, now that the game plan is changing, this old issue is new again

I have a severe dose of MFCSS. I just can't see us winning. I put $100 on Jee-long, but hopefully I lose that bet!!

I agree that TMac will start on Cameron. If Cameron gets 'off the chain' then perhaps one of youngsters (McVee or Howe) will be switched onto him. I could also see Petty having a run if he's doing nothing up forward.

Which coach decided that Disco in the forward line was a good idea?

I have a severe dose of MFCSS. I just can't see us winning. I put $100 on Jee-long, but hopefully I lose that bet!!

I agree that TMac will start on Cameron. If Cameron gets 'off the chain' then perhaps one of youngsters (McVee or Howe) will be switched onto him. I could also see Petty having a run if he's doing nothing up forward.
Petty barely touched it against an ordinary Tigers defence. He's not getting near it against Geelong. We're better off dropping him tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man we've had some stinkers against Geelong the past few years, Max missing after the siren, Touhey kicking after the siren, also some frustrating losses where it really felt we should have gotten over the line, last season a good example.

Just glad we're playing them at the G, probably our only hope of a good result.

Good thing about this team is that we can actually do it if we put it together, a very very good team under the surface.

Still back Geelong, but hoping we can surprise most of us here.

Man we've had some stinkers against Geelong the past few years, Max missing after the siren, Touhey kicking after the siren, also some frustrating losses where it really felt we should have gotten over the line, last season a good example.

Just glad we're playing them at the G, probably our only hope of a good result.

Good thing about this team is that we can actually do it if we put it together, a very very good team under the surface.

Still back Geelong, but hoping we can surprise most of us here.
I’m looking forward to it. Will tell us a bit about how we are travelling - the traditional ANZAC Eve scrag v Tigs doesn’t provide much.

Oddly I think we might look okay in this one, but that might be because I’m odd

Not a shred of optimism over here, I reckon we're ****ed.

I'm optimistic we CAN beat them, but obviously don't think we're highly likely to actually do it.

Our game style at it's best can beat theirs IMO. We just haven't got our game style humming atm.

Form can turn around in the space of a game though.

I think we will win.
I think randomly winning this game against Geelong is exactly the kind of thing we could do, hence welding me in for god only knows how long.

Not impossible though. I think our defence stands up okay and has done for some years. Kick straight though, it would be nice to get the best return from scoring opportunities.

Tbh i don’t really care if we beat Geelong or not, it’s all about beating Carlton the week after for me. If we can do that i’ll be ecstatic.
If we beat both I will immediately attempt to strangle myself to go out on an epic high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back