Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the heck are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But you're so wrong. Nobody has missed out. Onky the injured Knight and cooked Gibbs aren't in our best 22 despite being 0-5. Gibbs might yet return and Knight when fit. Why does Poholke get only 2 games and then Crocker who finally looked ok miss so that Mackay returns to the 22. What is the future value? Explain please.
There is no future value to Mackay playing, none.

Would Ben Hart returning from suspension have anything to do with our selection policy reverting to backing in senior players in the last two weeks?

Crouch brought straight back in (and Poholke and Jones banished from the midfield), Hartigan and Mackay brought back in.

Would Ben Hart returning from suspension have anything to do with our selection policy reverting to backing in senior players in the last two weeks?

Crouch brought straight back in (and Poholke and Jones banished from the midfield), Hartigan and Mackay brought back in.
Could be on the money. If we can now get back Campo we may be able to get Douglas and Thommo to strap on the boots again.

As I think DABM said, if we've dropped Crocker and Poholke, somewhat unfairly IMO, we have to decide that's it for them. I'd like to see them get more time, but in Myles case in particular if you're not gonna play him in midfield then don't bother at all.

I have a feeling Murphy would've been dropped regardless, but can understand people won't agree. And Walker, well yeah he's done. I think Sloane will get a rest in a couple of weeks, at least that's a feeling I got from the news report last night.

I think Murphy would've been dropped too, but understand the opposing views on that.

Stengle in makes our forwardline more dangerous, if we can get it there. McAsey should play forward but suspect we will line him up on Oscar Allen. Good to see him back in any case.

Really excited to see Moose get a game. Kid has talent and despite injury issues I'm glad we stuck with him.

Then Davey Boy....... The only half palatable way I can take this is if we intend to play our entire squad this year.

Even then that barely helps.

Can you imagine Mackay puts in a BOG performance this week. God help us

Even if he does I don't think the selection vindicates itself for a long term policy. I suspect the selection is based around standards in some form but I think there are other ways of doing that. It is a really poor and concerning selection.

I also don't really get that we need leadership as let's be honest we have had poor on field leadership for a number of years so we are almost better letting the young guys find their way. We also do have enough senior experience as it is.

I don't get dropping Paholke. I am not saying he will ever be anything but let's not get to the end of the year and not know. Let's just play him for a run of games over a month. That is of course unless we have already decided we are going to cut him. Even if we only see him as depth over the next few years, we should still play him in my opinion.

Then Davey Boy....... The only half palatable way I can take this is if we intend to play our entire squad this year.

It was him or Gibbs IMO, they've lost another experienced player and they wanted someone else in to provide onfield leadership

It also won't surprise me if it's because Sloane is a late out.

It's not ideal, but its hardly melt worthy or given we've brought in 3 younger players and a new debutant a change to what Nick's has done for the last 4 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I think DABM said, if we've dropped Crocker and Poholke, somewhat unfairly IMO, we have to decide that's it for them. I'd like to see them get more time, but in Myles case in particular if you're not gonna play him in midfield then don't bother at all.

I have a feeling Murphy would've been dropped regardless, but can understand people won't agree. And Walker, well yeah he's done. I think Sloane will get a rest in a couple of weeks, at least that's a feeling I got from the news report last night.

I think Murphy would've been dropped too, but understand the opposing views on that.

Stengle in makes our forwardline more dangerous, if we can get it there. McAsey should play forward but suspect we will line him up on Oscar Allen. Good to see him back in any case.

Really excited to see Moose get a game. Kid has talent and despite injury issues I'm glad we stuck with him.

It's not just that we brought back Mackay and dropped Crocker and Poholke. It's that our structure is also, by nature of the selections we made, forcing Jones and McHenry to play significant time in the forward line

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Laird - Hartigan - Hamill
C Mackay - Sloane - Smith
HF McHenry - McAsey - Lynch
F Stengle - Frampton - McAdam
R O'Brien - M. Crouch - B. Crouch

I Kelly - McPherson - Jones - Keays

So assuming Mackay is playing wing and Keays as a mid rotation, that still leaves two defenders on the bench. Unless we are planning to play blokes like Hamill and McPherson out of position.

I just don't see who is rotating forward if it's not explicitly McHenry and Jones. There are only four actual forwards in the team (Framtpon, Lynch, Stengle and McAdam) with one opportunistic first year swingman (McAsey).

I could see us playing at least 3-4 young players totally out of position. Hamill and McPherson will have to play more wing or pure midfield time, because we have six senior defenders that can't/shouldn't play anywhere else (Brown, Talia, Doedee, Laird, Hartigan and Kelly). We also have again, Jones and McHenry destined to forward roles.

If we were absolutely dead set certain on bringing back Mackay, debuting McPherson and needing to make changes for Walker and Murphy, surely this line-up would have made more sense.

Out: Walker, Murphy, Kelly, Laird
In: McAsey, Stengle, McPherson, Mackay

Alternatively if we desperately wanted to drop Poholke for experience, we should have brought back Gibbs, not Mackay (instead of dropping Laird in the above changes)

I also don't really get that we need leadership as let's be honest we have had poor on field leadership for a number of years so we are almost better letting the young guys find their way. We also do have enough senior experience as it is.

I dont know if you can say we have had poor on field leadership for years. Tex, Talia, Sloane, Betts, Douglas, Lynch are all guys that prior to form dropping off have, in my opinion, offered plenty of leadership. Its more a case of our young players not having the opportunity to play in the senior team with them. Now that they are getting a crack, its more important than ever that senior players lead. Granted, there are many seniors letting us down for various reasons, and we don't have a whole lot of options. Try Mckay!

Playing Mackay is likely to be a flimsy defence against any tanking accusations. Taking out that much experience and only bringing in kids probably isn't a good look for the competitive nature of the comp. And...uh leg speed...ish?

Why would Sloane get a rest in a couple of weeks? You'd think as each week passes he'll be less injured. Bad corkie and ankle should be done. If he's going to rest, now and the previous 3 weeks were the time to do it. Poholke a disturbing decision, we need more midfield grunt, not less. How Matt Crouch any different last week to the week that had him dropped? I mean, we've named 6 defenders on the field and at least 3 on the bench. Sloane and Smith are the only wingers in the 22, meaning our total midfield rotation is Crouch, Crouch, Keays, Jones and McHenry. That's just not enough in modern football. Especially how unlikely the 2 young guys are to see serious minutes.

You know what would be so AFC? McPherson and Hamill get forced to play ahead of the ball so Mackay can play half back where he gets his shitful 15 touches kicking to contests or empty space and the kids then get dropped in a couple of weeks having failed to live up to the expectations that we have of half forwards.

Why would Sloane get a rest in a couple of weeks? You'd think as each week passes he'll be less injured. Bad corkie and ankle should be done. If he's going to rest, now and the previous 3 weeks were the time to do it. Poholke a disturbing decision, we need more midfield grunt, not less. How Matt Crouch any different last week to the week that had him dropped? I mean, we've named 6 defenders on the field and at least 3 on the bench. Sloane and Smith are the only wingers in the 22, meaning our total midfield rotation is Crouch, Crouch, Keays, Jones and McHenry. That's just not enough in modern football. Especially how unlikely the 2 young guys are to see serious minutes.

You know what would be so AFC? McPherson and Hamill get forced to play ahead of the ball so Mackay can play half back where he gets his shitful 15 touches kicking to contests or empty space and the kids then get dropped in a couple of weeks having failed to live up to the expectations that we have of half forwards.
Wouldn't mind seeing Hamill on the wing TBH.

As for Sloane, I think it was Smith who said it but I'll believe it when his name isn't on the teamsheet.

I've seen so many people complaining about playing our draftees in the 'graveyard' forward position. You all realise _someone_ has to play there?
Apart from the top few draft picks most youngsters have to work their way to the mid-field, if they're good enough.
So many using this as an excuse, maybe they're not up to it. That said it's only an excuse for draftees that there's an agenda for like Gooch. Maybe he's just vanilla and doesn't work hard enough.

Did you pay the $100 bet that Gibbs would get a run before Hamill or McPherson? - Strike Two

To be fair he’s acknowledged the loss of the bet to me but I have yet to decide where the $100 is to go so I’ve not yet followed it up. Need to cut some slack there.

Back