Unofficial Preview Changes v Tigers round 10 2024 @Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What doesn't make any sense is Cam played so well against Melbourne, especially early when he was in the guts which got him into the game, but since then we've hardly seen him in there at all. I don't understand why we didn't continue with it given how well he played. Bit odd really.
Actually Cam only attended three centre bounces in that first quarter against Melbourne which was about usual for him this season. What was different about that first quarter in particular against Melbourne is that there was a lot of stoppages up and down the line from which he was able to provide an influence in. He actually did end up with more inside midfield time (just based on centre bounce attendances) the following week against Geelong but since then we've pushed him out and pushed Berry in.

Cam's now suffering from the double whammy of not being in great form and not having the best role for keeping involved in play, a hybrid marking mid-forward who doesn't get much midfield time.

Actually Cam only attended three centre bounces in that first quarter against Melbourne which was about usual for him this season. What was different about that first quarter in particular against Melbourne is that there was a lot of stoppages up and down the line from which he was able to provide an influence in. He actually did end up with more inside midfield time (just based on centre bounce attendances) the following week against Geelong but since then we've pushed him out and pushed Berry in.

Cam's now suffering from the double whammy of not being in great form and not having the best role for keeping involved in play, a hybrid marking mid-forward who doesn't get much midfield time.
I think that's right , he doesn't seem the type of player who can stop and start. But on the other hand he's not the type of player who starts and keeps going either.

My issue is that when he does get the chance he seems to stink it up at the wrong time.

It's not all about him but it's just so frustrating and must be for him as well. I'd like to throw him on the ball in the 2s and tell him to give everything he's got all day and see if that can kickstart him. We don't seem to have been able to improve the aspects of his game that are preventing him from becoming a good player. i.e tank and skill.

The problem with Rayner and Hipwood is they probably have a great game this week.
Also the problem is if they do then probably have a crap game against the Hawks :)
They both seem lost confidence Hipwood more likely to miss set shots now.
Be good to play a couple of weeks in VFL.
Although probably kill their confidence even more. So who knows

I do think we have toooo many players who play one good game in 4 weeks in the side.
Berry, Bailey, Hipwood and Rayner been joined by Charlie, McKenna and Payne in 2024
So when we have the more stable guys like Neale, Wilmot and Lester have a quiet game we get in trouble.

Berry had a great game so not sure what that means for the Tigers game :)

Joe getting a lot of press although I thought he played a good Joe game.

His centre bounce numbers are down to 10% or something where earlier rounds he was around the 30-40% mark. Berry has clearly taken up that time in the last two weeks. So while its worked great for Berry whose form is great. Its left Cam back in the awkward forward role that he just goes missing for huge periods of time

They most likely play Morris again against Richmond as he did kick 2 goals 1 behind.
However, he only had 3 disposals all kicks nothing after half time.
He did not lay a tackle. One free for one against.
He has good goal sense but may lack fitness for a full AFL game against a good opponent
I am not sure how effective his opponent was.
Let's see how he goes against the Tigers

Reville looks like he belongs at AFL level, but he also needs a better fitness level.
Started off both games very well.
The club managing his TOG. It was 60% Suns and 53% Crows.
Hopefully he keeps his spot.

Sharp not as good as he was against the Suns, but the opposition was of a better quality.

I don't think they drop McKenna as he may not have a tagging role next week with Answerth back.
To find room for Brain i think Wilmot has to finally go to the wing. Then Answerth/Brain takes the best small forward.
Wilmot probably played his worse game for the Lions against the Crows.

So, trying to fit Brain in
Out Prior in Answerth.
Out Sharp or Reville to sub in Brain.
Wilmot to the wing.

I don't think we can continue to play Cam or retain him on the list if he isn't playing as the third tall and/ or given significant midfield time. It just isn't worth it. High half forward roles can be filled for much less coin. Guys like Ah Chee, Lohman, Sharp, Answerth, even Prior, Tunstil or Dev.

Tbh, I'm annoyed we haven't continued with him in the midfield, but it's clear the club isn't prioritising it. Fagan seems determined to have 3 genuine talls, and find other ways to fill out the midfield rotations, for example returning to increasing the load on Neale, Dunkley and Clugga. It feels like a classic Fagan move, back to his original plans when things aren't going as well as hoped.

I'm going nuclear and putting Rayner in the 2's for a few weeks and telling him to bust his gut running around.

My reason hasn't been raised yet. He lets us down with skill or effort errors when he's tired at the end of quarters or the match. Happened again yesterday.

I don't care who we bring in. As long as they're warm and vertical.

Million to one chance of that happening though. Especially against Richmond where he might justify his position by tearing it up.

We'll go with Answerth for Prior.
I agree with you. If Rayner was plonked in the twos for the rest of the season, we would certainly not be left wondering if he had the drive/hunger to take it to the next level. Would be an interesting experiment, and could be the catalyst to give us some return on the club's investment in him.

Prior > Answerth is the easy swap this week. Wouldnt mind seeing Brain get a full game.

Not sure we would starting sub Morris as the third tall. We dont tend to mess with that structure too often.

Do think that if we stay in similar form that when Bailey returns, Rayner is the one I would be questioning pushing out
I know we're all excited about Logan Morris, but you're seriously considering pushing out Rayner but Morris retains his place?!? Granted Morris took his chances on Sunday and kicked 2 goals... but 3 kicks, no handballs, no tackles - doesn't push out Rayner in my book. Even Kai - kicked 1 goal, same number of possessions as Cam, same number of tackers, but went at 33% disposal efficiency. He was a bit more flashy, but not necessarily better output.
Cam has been down, but he does have runs on the board, and will take some seriously poor football for a longer stretch before one of the recent debutants or fringe players (Tunstall, Madden, Prior) push him out!

I don't think we can continue to play Cam or retain him on the list if he isn't playing as the third tall and/ or given significant midfield time. It just isn't worth it. High half forward roles can be filled for much less coin. Guys like Ah Chee, Lohman, Sharp, Answerth, even Prior, Tunstil or Dev.

Tbh, I'm annoyed we haven't continued with him in the midfield, but it's clear the club isn't prioritising it. Fagan seems determined to have 3 genuine talls, and find other ways to fill out the midfield rotations, for example returning to increasing the load on Neale, Dunkley and Clugga. It feels like a classic Fagan move, back to his original plans when things aren't going as well as hoped.
I don’t mind giving it a go with Rayner as the genuine third tall for a period.
Meaning Logan Morris is out of the team either to sub or back to being an emergency.
If that doesn’t work for Cam, he really is sitting on the edge of selection and maybe undeserving of being selected at all on current form.
I don’t think him and Morris being both forward works with the smalls around as Cam really doesn’t play as a small and get to the drop of the ball enough to warrant being selected as a small.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we're all excited about Logan Morris, but you're seriously considering pushing out Rayner but Morris retains his place?!? Granted Morris took his chances on Sunday and kicked 2 goals... but 3 kicks, no handballs, no tackles - doesn't push out Rayner in my book. Even Kai - kicked 1 goal, same number of possessions as Cam, same number of tackers, but went at 33% disposal efficiency. He was a bit more flashy, but not necessarily better output.
Cam has been down, but he does have runs on the board, and will take some seriously poor football for a longer stretch before one of the recent debutants or fringe players (Tunstall, Madden, Prior) push him out!
I was more assuming they play in the current structure of playing a third tall and then Rayner as a small/medium. Morris structurally is more important then Rayner and in terms of small forward/mids - Bailey and Lohman have impressed me more recently. In that circumstance Rayner is the weakest link

If we are willing to put Rayner properly in as third tall (like worked well in finals last year), then I'm happy to go that way and drop Morris at some point.

I don’t mind giving it a go with Rayner as the genuine third tall for a period.
Meaning Logan Morris is out of the team either to sub or back to being an emergency.
If that doesn’t work for Cam, he really is sitting on the edge of selection and maybe undeserving of being selected at all on current form.
I don’t think him and Morris being both forward works with the smalls around as Cam really doesn’t play as a small and get to the drop of the ball enough to warrant being selected as a small.
I'd rather have Cam than Morris in that role purely because Cam's a lot stronger ,experienced more liable to pull out a good game. But no reflection on Logan who needs more time.

It's a shame Cam did his ACL because we'd know for sure by now whether he was up to extended M/F time.

Logan has a few strings to his bow for a taller forward , looks like another pre season or two could do wonders.

Last edited:
Don’t know about Wilmot to the wing. He’s been super at half back since he went there early last year. He started wing last season and was just ok. For now I would be sticking with Reville. But I can definitely see them giving Brain a start and moving Wilmot to the wing this week.

Don’t know about Wilmot to the wing. He’s been super at half back since he went there early last year. He started wing last season and was just ok. For now I would be sticking with Reville. But I can definitely see them giving Brain a start and moving Wilmot to the wing this week.

And he would’ve played wing last week if Starce didn’t get injured

Personally I think Rayner's game against Melbourne has been overrated, both here and in the media. People have been waiting 6 years for a break out game from a #1 pick and jumped on the smallest glimpse. Watching it a second and third time there was a bit of right place right time with ball bouncing this way all he needed to do was accelerate to the ball and keep running. His inside 50 delivery on that game was a lot of just kick it long as well. What we see from him every other week is what you get when everything doesn't line up for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
His first quarter was great but he had 3 fairly average quarters after it. So while I was really happy for him, I wasn’t sold on the quality of his game because it wasn’t a 4 quarter performance.

Reville has shown some good signs but such low ToG% isn't conducive to being able to play on the wing. Its been hard to judge so far but at the moment it looks like Reville isnt quite fit enough to play wing yet

Dev and Answerth available, Bailey a week away

Ashcroft listed as 6-8 weeks

If fit does Dev play? Maybe a good sub option

Play him instead of Reville?

Prior for Answerth. Unfortunately Prior just doesn’t have it, candidate for delisting I’d say.

8 weeks takes Ashcoft to almost 12 months post his ACL which makes sense given the way our season is going and how important he is for our future.

On team balance you'd play Reville every day of the week but as far as being AFL ready you'd suggest Dev is more likely to perform
Reville looks a better ball user and seems to have good game sense, but questions on if he is fit enough.

Dev is fit enough and provides better pressure. But his ball use is questionable and seems to struggle to win the ball anywhere but onball (not that he plays in that role enough to tell).

Interesting question on what the team needs more at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back