Changing Of The Guard

Remove this Banner Ad

Howe,Mitchell and Cox are all in trouble for next year,Mitchell maybe alright after a rest but he is having trouble coming up week after week,Howe I think was brought back too soon this year to his detriment.Cox will be 33 next year and will get no faster and although he has not played that long the game just get,s passes you by.

I not sure Taylor will be able to go through the guts much longer I know he was great saturday night but it gets harder to come up each week when you hit 30, I would like to start Daicos,De Gouy and Finn next year in the middle.

Adams is already slowly being weaned off the inside mid role. He’s spent far less time there in 2023 and in fact has reinvented himself as a part time half forward.

I can’t believe people saying quaynor to the wing. It nullifies his greatest strength - one on one marking contests and intercepting, and makes him need to rely on his own ball winning and disposal precision - which aren’t his strengths.
It’s been a constant throughout his career and I’ve never understood it.

Adams is already slowly being weaned off the inside mid role. He’s spent far less time there in 2023 and in fact has reinvented himself as a part time half forward.
Yes I know and he is doing a good job but I would still like to see if Finn is up to it the club has spent 3 seasons developing him and judging by his VFL figures (consistently best 2 or 3 each week) he is ready for a try at senior football and what I mean by this he has earned a chance to play inside mid now.

I think he has been a little unlucky this season with his back issue in the pre season because with a full pre season the club would have had a chance to try him this season.

Yes I know and he is doing a good job but I would still like to see if Finn is up to it the club has spent 3 seasons developing him and judging by his VFL figures (consistently best 2 or 3 each week) he is ready for a try at senior football and what I mean by this he has earned a chance to play inside mid now.

I think he has been a little unlucky this season with his back issue in the pre season because with a full pre season the club would have had a chance to try him this season.

The entire VFL list has been unlucky for the past year and a half due to the senior teams exceptional form and realtively good injury run.. not to mention bringing in five experienced players in the off-season to help us win a flag.

It would be stupid to give anybody “ a try” at this stage at the expense of a proven performer unless there’s an injury or sudden form slump.

The entire VFL list has been unlucky for the past year and a half due to the senior teams exceptional form and realtively good injury run.. not to mention bringing in five experienced players in the off-season to help us win a flag.

It would be stupid to give anybody “ a try” at this stage at the expense of a proven performer unless there’s an injury or sudden form slump.
As I stated I am sure he has earned a chance at inside mid now but I am sure it will not be this season and nor should it be, I am not really concerned with how unlucky the entire VFL list has been so you say but Finn has been unfortunate in that he missed a great deal of the pre season putting him behind others when he needed to put his best foot forward.

I agree it would not be wise to trial Finn this late in the season and that is not what I am calling for this season as I stated from next season I would not mind him at the coalface with Daicos and Jordy.

I Know i'm jumping the gun but if Collingwood win or lose the 2023 GF some players need to move on and make room
The biggest calls will be Pendles Siddy and Howe another year older players can drop off in ability dramatically
As they say it's always better to retire one year earlier than on year later
All big successful clubs do it Richmond Hawthorn etc
This will hurt me as much as it does to all Pie fans but we have too many ready made players waiting in the wings to step into team
Players like Johnson Markov Frampton McCrae Ginivan Reef JC E.Allan Krueger Dean
Premature at best.
Pendles, Sidearse and Howe.
Not one of the players you listed are even remotely "ready made' to step in to those guys roles. Not even remotely close.

As I stated I am sure he has earned a chance at inside mid now but I am sure it will not be this season and nor should it be, I am not really concerned with how unlucky the entire VFL list has been so you say but Finn has been unfortunate in that he missed a great deal of the pre season putting him behind others when he needed to put his best foot forward.

I agree it would not be wise to trial Finn this late in the season and that is not what I am calling for this season as I stated from next season I would not mind him at the coalface with Daicos and Jordy.

You said “ now”.

But whatever.

Premature at best.
Pendles, Sidearse and Howe.
Not one of the players you listed are even remotely "ready made' to step in to those guys roles. Not even remotely close.
This is just like the Murphy discussion in 2021 - where most doubted his ability to step up.
So this idea “they are not ready”, is entirely premature unless there’s a demonstrable deficiency (not experience) compared to the player they’re replacing.

The plan will be to stagger them out.

Howe will be first due to his injury history.

No rush re Sidey and Pendles. Enjoy them.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Know i'm jumping the gun but if Collingwood win or lose the 2023 GF some players need to move on and make room
The biggest calls will be Pendles Siddy and Howe another year older players can drop off in ability dramatically
As they say it's always better to retire one year earlier than on year later
All big successful clubs do it Richmond Hawthorn etc
This will hurt me as much as it does to all Pie fans but we have too many ready made players waiting in the wings to step into team
Players like Johnson Markov Frampton McCrae Ginivan Reef JC E.Allan Krueger Dean

I've never understood this obsession with retiring Pendles. People have been saying the same thing since 2018. He's still having on field impact and his leadership and calmness that he exerts on the team is underrated. You walk taller with players like Pendlebury around you.

We'll be planning for life after Nick before life after Pendles at this rate. Like a fine wine :wineglass:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back