Opinion Chat GPT’s greatest AFL players of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

I asked chat GPT to come up with responses to this thread, rendering the rest of you obsolete. Sorry.

Post 1: Hey everyone, have you seen the list of the greatest AFL players of all time that ChatGPT put together? It's pretty interesting. According to the AI model, the top five players of all time are Leigh Matthews, Gary Ablett Sr., Wayne Carey, Michael Tuck, and Ron Barassi. What do you guys think? Do you agree with this list or do you think there are other players who should be included?

Post 2: I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with ChatGPT's list. It's hard to argue with the inclusion of Leigh Matthews, Gary Ablett Sr., and Wayne Carey - those three are definitely among the best players of all time. I'm a bit surprised to see Michael Tuck and Ron Barassi on the list, though. While they were certainly great players in their time, I'm not sure if they're in the same league as some of the other players who could have been included. Personally, I would have liked to see Chris Judd, James Hird, or Nick Riewoldt on the list.

Post 3: I think it's important to remember that ChatGPT's list is based on statistical analysis and data, so it's not necessarily going to match up with everyone's personal opinions. That being said, I think the top three players on the list are pretty much universally regarded as some of the greatest of all time. I do agree with the previous poster that it's a bit surprising to see Michael Tuck and Ron Barassi on the list, but I think it's also important to remember their contributions to the game as a whole, not just their individual stats.

Post 4: It's interesting to see an AI model putting together a list like this. While I think it's a good starting point for discussion, I also think it's important to remember that there's more to being a great AFL player than just statistical analysis. Things like leadership, impact on the game, and ability to perform in big moments are all important factors that can't necessarily be quantified by data. That being said, I think ChatGPT's list is a good jumping off point for discussing the best players of all time.

Post 5: I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed to see that there aren't more current players on the list. While it's true that many of the greatest players of all time are from previous eras, I think there are a few current players who could make a strong case for inclusion. Players like Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, and Nat Fyfe are all incredible talents who have had a huge impact on the game in recent years. I'd be interested to see how ChatGPT's model
weighs their contributions against those of players from previous eras.

Post 5: I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed to see that there aren't more current players on the list. While it's true that many of the greatest players of all time are from previous eras, I think there are a few current players who could make a strong case for inclusion. Players like Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, and Nat Fyfe are all incredible talents who have had a huge impact on the game in recent years. I'd be interested to see how ChatGPT's model weighs their contributions against those of players from previous eras.
None of those players are anywhere near top 10.

Top 40 to 60 more realistic.

I was able to get it to give me a list of most dissapointing players of all time

Some examples of AFL players who were highly touted but did not meet expectations include:

1. Jack Watts - a highly rated draft pick who struggled to make an impact at Melbourne before moving to Port Adelaide.
  2. Travis Cloke - a key forward who was a dominant force in the early years of his career but struggled with form and injury in later years.
  3. Kurt Tippett - a talented ruckman/forward who was expected to be a key player for Sydney but was hampered by injuries and off-field issues.
  4. Josh Schache - a highly rated draft pick who struggled to make an impact at Brisbane before moving to the Western Bulldogs.
  5. Jonathon Patton - a key forward who was traded to Hawthorn but struggled with form and injury before retiring due to personal issues.
  6. Jimmy Toumpas - a highly rated draft pick who failed to establish himself at Melbourne before moving to Port Adelaide.
  7. Jesse White - a key forward who struggled to consistently impact games despite showing flashes of brilliance throughout his career.
  8. Harley Bennell - a talented midfielder who struggled with injuries and off-field issues throughout his career.
  9. Tom Boyd - a key forward who was a hero of the Western Bulldogs' 2016 premiership but struggled with form and injury before retiring at a young age.
  10. Liam Jurrah - a talented forward who showed glimpses of brilliance at Melbourne before off-field issues led to his premature retirement.
Just the five beautiful Melbourne Demons there!! What a team!
Count 'em... five!!!

Big ToumpAss at # 6, unlucky!! I hated that campaigner!!!

list in order richmonds 2017 premiership team, with 1 being the best player and so on

Sure, here's a possible list in order of the Richmond Tigers 2017 AFL Premiership Team, with 1 being the best player and so on:
  1. Dustin Martin
  2. Alex Rance
  3. Trent Cotchin (captain)
  4. Jack Riewoldt
  5. Dion Prestia
  6. Shane Edwards
  7. Kane Lambert
  8. Nick Vlastuin
  9. Daniel Rioli
  10. Bachar Houli
  11. David Astbury
  12. Josh Caddy
  13. Toby Nankervis
  14. Brandon Ellis
  15. Kamdyn McIntosh
  16. Nathan Broad
  17. Dan Butler
  18. Jason Castagna
  19. Shaun Grigg
  20. Jacob Townsend
  21. Jayden Short
  22. Dylan Grimes
  23. Connor Menadue
  24. Tyson Stengle
  25. Ivan Soldo
  26. Sam Lloyd
  27. Anthony Miles
  28. Corey Ellis
  29. Shai Bolton
  30. Reece Conca
  31. Oleg Markov
  32. Callum Moore
  33. Tyson Rioli
  34. Jack Graham
  35. Ryan Garthwaite
Note that this is just one possible ranking, and opinions on the relative performance and importance of individual players can vary.

ChatGPT is an AI language model. It shouldn’t be used as a substitute for free thought or objectivity. That said, News Ltd could do worse than use it to replace Mark Robinson.
Example 1:
Sure, here's a hot take article on a weekend of AFL football called 'The Tackle':

"The Tackle: A Weekend of AFL Football that Defines the Art of Defense"

Football is a game of skill, strategy, and athleticism, but when it comes down to it, it's the defense that wins championships. And nowhere was this more evident than in the thrilling weekend of AFL football that just passed, where defenders took center stage in a display of tackling prowess that left fans on the edge of their seats.

From the opening siren to the final whistle, the best defenders in the league showed why they are the unsung heroes of the sport. They hounded their opponents with relentless pressure, chased them down with lightning-fast speed, and delivered bone-crushing tackles that left their opponents gasping for breath.

The weekend's action was a masterclass in the art of tackling. Defenders took risks, flying in from all angles to bring down their opponents. They put their bodies on the line, launching themselves at their targets with the precision of a missile strike. And they did it all with the kind of intensity and passion that can only come from a deep love of the game.

Some of the standout performances of the weekend came from defenders who simply refused to let their opponents get past them. Players like Marcus Bontempelli, who tallied up an incredible 17 tackles in a single game, and Darcy Moore, who looked like a human wall as he shut down every forward who came his way.

But it wasn't just the individual efforts that stood out. It was the teamwork, the coordination, and the communication that made the difference. Defenders worked together like a well-oiled machine, anticipating each other's moves and covering each other's backs. They showed that, when it comes to defense, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Of course, it wasn't all smooth sailing for the defenders. There were moments when they mistimed their tackles, or got caught out of position. But even then, they never gave up. They picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, and went back to work, knowing that the next tackle could be the one that turned the game in their favor.

In the end, it was the defenders who had the last laugh. Their efforts paid off as they held their opponents to low scores, ensuring victory for their teams. And while the forwards may get the glory, it's the defenders who know that they are the true heroes of the game.

The weekend of AFL football we just witnessed was a testament to the power of defense. It showed that, when it comes down to it, the tackle is the heart and soul of football. And it's the players who are willing to put their bodies on the line, to take risks and make sacrifices, who will ultimately come out on top.

Example 2:
Why James Hird Should Consider Coaching Essendon Again

It has been nearly a decade since James Hird resigned from his position as coach of the Essendon Football Club. Hird's tenure at the club was marred by the supplements saga, which resulted in him being suspended from the game for 12 months. Despite the controversy surrounding his departure, there are several reasons why Hird should consider coaching Essendon again.

Firstly, Hird has a deep understanding of the club and its culture. He spent more than a decade as a player at Essendon, captaining the club to its most recent premiership in 2000. Hird's passion for the club is evident, and his knowledge of its history and values could prove invaluable in rebuilding the team's culture and success.

Secondly, Hird's coaching record at Essendon was impressive. He led the club to two finals appearances in his four seasons as coach, and had a win-loss record of 55-35. Hird's tactical acumen and ability to inspire his players were key factors in the club's success during his tenure.

Thirdly, Hird has had time to reflect on his mistakes and learn from them. He has publicly acknowledged the errors made during the supplements saga and the impact they had on the club and its supporters. Hird's willingness to take responsibility for his actions and his continued passion for the game suggest that he could be a valuable asset to the club if given the opportunity to coach again.

Of course, there are also valid concerns about Hird's potential return as coach. Some may argue that the controversy surrounding his departure from the club would make it difficult for him to regain the trust of the players and supporters. Others may worry that his return could stir up negative emotions and further damage the club's reputation.

Ultimately, the decision to bring Hird back as coach would need to be carefully considered by the club's board and management. It would be important to ensure that the move is in the best interests of the club and its stakeholders.

However, if Hird were to return as coach, he would bring with him a wealth of experience, knowledge, and passion for the game. He has already shown that he has what it takes to lead Essendon to success, and given the right support and resources, he could do so again. It may not be a popular decision, but it could be a bold move that pays off in the long run.

News Ltd could save themselves a few 6 figure salaries and get old mate chatters to churn out this dreck.

Last edited:
Which AFL footballer is better, Buddy Franklin or Daniel Sipthorp

It's difficult to directly compare Buddy Franklin and Daniel Sipthorpe as they play different positions and have different styles of play. However, both players are highly skilled and have achieved great success in the AFL.
Buddy Franklin is known for his incredible speed, agility, and goal-kicking ability. He has won multiple Coleman Medals for being the league's leading goal-kicker and has been named to the All-Australian team multiple times. He has also been a key player in winning premierships with the Hawthorn and Sydney Swans.
Daniel Sipthorpe, on the other hand, is a dominant ruckman known for his strength, athleticism, and ability to control the midfield. He has won multiple All-Australian selections and has been a key player in the success of the Brisbane Lions.
Both players have their own strengths and weaknesses, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference when comparing them. In terms of individual achievements, Buddy Franklin has won more individual accolades, but Daniel Sipthorpe has been a consistent performer over a longer period of time.

what are sipthorpes achivments

Daniel Sipthorpe has achieved a number of accolades throughout his AFL career. Some of his notable achievements include:
  • Three-time All-Australian selection: Sipthorpe was named in the All-Australian team in 2010, 2011, and 2013.
  • Brisbane Lions Best and Fairest: Sipthorpe won the Merrett-Murray Medal, which is awarded to the Brisbane Lions' Best and Fairest player, in 2011.
  • Brisbane Lions Player Life Member: Sipthorpe was awarded Life Membership of the Brisbane Lions in 2015 for playing 150 games for the club.
  • AFL Premiership player: Sipthorpe was a member of the Brisbane Lions team that won the AFL Premiership in 2003, 2004, and 2006.
  • AFL Rising Star nominee: In his debut season in 2002, Sipthorpe was nominated for the AFL Rising Star award.
Overall, Sipthorpe has had a successful career in the AFL, and his contributions to the Brisbane Lions have been a key part of their success in the early 2000s.

who did brisbane defeat in the 2006 grand final

In the 2006 AFL Grand Final, the Brisbane Lions defeated the West Coast Eagles by a margin of 26 points. The final score was Brisbane Lions 15.18 (108) to West Coast Eagles 12.13 (85). This was Brisbane's third Premiership in a row, making them the first team in the AFL era to achieve this feat.

what happened in the third quarter of that game

The third quarter of the 2006 AFL Grand Final between the Brisbane Lions and the West Coast Eagles was a crucial period of the game, which saw the Lions gain a significant advantage over their opponents.
The Lions started the quarter with a two-point lead, but quickly extended their lead with several goals, including a crucial goal from forward Jonathan Brown. The Eagles fought back with some goals of their own, but the Lions were able to maintain their lead with strong defensive efforts.
One of the key moments of the quarter came when Brisbane midfielder Simon Black, who was later awarded the Norm Smith Medal as the best player on the ground, kicked a long-range goal from outside 50 meters to put the Lions 20 points ahead. The Lions continued to dominate the quarter, kicking four goals to the Eagles' two, and went into the final quarter with a 32-point lead.
Overall, the third quarter was a pivotal moment in the game, as the Lions were able to build a significant lead and put themselves in a strong position to win their third Premiership in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back