cheating stuffs up games in local footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suzi please respond to my post, it will not go away just because you ignore it

AGAIN, assuming someone doesn't umpire because they make a comment about you.

What is wrong with you???????
Nothing. I just don't like to be ****ing abused by some ******** spectator who thinks that he knows it all.
Go and re-read both posts. I was branded a cheat to which I am not by two ****wits who think that they can go about abusing umpires all the time.

Just like what you are doing.... Give it up, Scott. I know that you umpire in a higher level than me. If your coach saw this thread, you would get into trouble for getting stuck into me, a fellow umpire, in a different league.

One of my mates has goal umpired in the EFL for years and openly cheated in a few games against teams he didn't like. So I can tell you that it definitely does happen.

Nothing. I just don't like to be ****ing abused by some ******** spectator who thinks that he knows it all.

Err, that's hypocrisy at its finest.

Go and re-read both posts. I was branded a cheat to which I am not by two ****wits who think that they can go about abusing umpires all the time.

You were branded a cheat by a one-time poster who was extracting the urine. Everyone else is simply ...... now read very carefully ..... saying that cheating does exist. I've seen it. Jaymin has seen it. Others have seen it. Doesn't mean you do it, in fact you seem very passionate. We are very appreciative of those who take their time out to umpire. But I have NO time for those who deliberately cheat, whether they are simply helping out or not.

clarkson2scott, is this how I understand your view:

chump.jpg

c2s, Ive hardly posted on this board since I realised how pointless arguments with supporters are...my general rule in life is never to comment or make judgements on subjects you know nothing about, or have never experienced...which is why its hard for supporters to comment on umpiring as they dont know what its like to make split second decisions in the heat of the moment.

For SS and Jaymin, c2s is getting fired up because calling an umpire a cheat is the ultimate insult...yes Ive been abused before, a f***ing white maggot was hard to take, but I refrained from reporting the player as I felt he was in the moment (being a local league final), but if a player called me a cheat, I would take his number straight away!

In your eyes cheating does exist, but if an umpire is found to be cheating, he would be removed straight away from the umpiring group, and would find it hard to umpire anywhere ever again! Yes I have never seen an EFL game, but have met a couple of umpires from that group through representative games...to say an umpire would cheat is rather ludicrous, and if an umpire does cheat he should give it up, because thats not what we are there for...strangely enough we love the game as much as players and supporters do, we take your abuse, because no one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes...but to call an umpire a cheat isnt on and you should stick to calling us white maggots

*end rant*

Fair enough, but what about if we refrain from using the word 'cheating' and put it a different way.

Do you think it is possible for an umpires decision making to be impaired in any way that would stop them from doing their job correctly? By this I mean, maybe an umpire would be slightly more willing to pay a free kick against a team whose supporters had been getting verbally stuck into him all day? Or perhaps an umpire would put his whistle away if a player with a reputation for being a thug gets tackled slightly high?

While I do not agree that there has never been a single case of an umpire deliberately cheating, I will concede that it these are once-in-a-blue-moon incidents and for the sake of the argument we can discount them.

Now, what would you say regarding my point above, that an umpires impartiality may occasionally be impaired, whether consciously or subconsciously, by external factors, such as crowd behaviour?

I'd prefer if you reply, Bourne, rather than Suzi, because I know already know who is going to give an answer worth reading.

Haha I like that idea...stuff

I cant speak for all umpires, and yes I dont like thinking about an umpire 'cheating', but if you analyse every game of football ever played, Im sure there have been some decisions that could be seen as cheating. You couldnt say that cheating has never happened, because somewhere along the road it would have, and most likely at local level, but for people to say it happens all the time, and is a regular occurrence, thats a bit extreme and is why umpires on here get a little protective and fired up.

Of course emotion comes into it, footy is an emotional game, everyone gets caught up...as I said before no one is perfect and we all make mistakes, so yes it would be fair to say that 'once-in-a-blue-moon, an umpires judgement could be affected, whether it be due to the crowd or players involved.

Its interesting to hear some supporters views on what umpires are like...they think we like to have little meetings about who we are going to give free kicks to, and if the free kick count is uneven, we have to even it up...every umpire growing up has followed football, and would have followed teams, but the best umpires put that to the side and pay each kick on its merits, not what the crowd thinks or which players are involved.

You get mainly a lot of idiots in the crowd who have had so much to drink and go around abusing the umpires.
You lot have got no idea.

We do not have meetings to discuss how to cheat. I see you pulled that one out of your arse. :thumbsdown:

If we didn't have umpires there wouldn't be a game. We would have people who were sitting in the stands coming out to umpire a game of footy, not knowing what they are doing.

Only idiots brand people cheats. Especially those who don't have the guts to join an umpiring association to know what really goes on....

It's those fools who deliberately go around abusing the umpires, whether they play or are spectators. You lot don't know the rules.
You wouldn't know that there is a zero tolerance on abuse towards umpiring.
In fact the people that go around abusing the umpires at junior matches are a disgrace. THose of you who choose to abuse umpires all because your kid plays for a team costs young kids who want to umpire games of footy.
So if you go around calling somebody a cheat when you are at the footy think of this, would you go around calling your kids cheats if they did something wrong? If the answer is yes then you seriously need to get your head read.
If the answer is no then why do you do it? Grow up the lot of you.

Too often honest mistakes or general incompetence is mistaken for cheating, particularly at lower levels where the impartiality of umpires is not always guaranteed.

At the higher levels the amount of scrutiny, including the keeping of copious number of stats, limits the ability for a corrupt official to last long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do not have meetings to discuss how to cheat. I see you pulled that one out of your arse. :thumbsdown:

*insert unnecessary pointless rant here*

First off, calm the f*** down you hero, this is a public forum where people like to engage in friendly banter...and I stepped in when I thought it was going too far...secondly I am an umpire, at a level higher than you, so dont tell me Ive got no idea!

...they (implying supporters) think we like to have little meetings about who we are going to give free kicks to, and if the free kick count is uneven, we have to even it up...

I never said we actually did, READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE YOU POST! I think someone is a little cranky about not making the finals :cool:

Ok, now we are getting off topic and getting into the abuse side of things, which is a rather large and time wasting topic...its a sad burden on the culture of football, and something that is always going to be there whether us UMPIRES like it or not...so walk away from your computer for 5mins, make a cup of coffee and just breathe :thumbsu:

c2s, Ive hardly posted on this board since I realised how pointless arguments with supporters are...my general rule in life is never to comment or make judgements on subjects you know nothing about, or have never experienced...which is why its hard for supporters to comment on umpiring as they dont know what its like to make split second decisions in the heat of the moment.

For SS and Jaymin, c2s is getting fired up because calling an umpire a cheat is the ultimate insult...yes Ive been abused before, a f***ing white maggot was hard to take, but I refrained from reporting the player as I felt he was in the moment (being a local league final), but if a player called me a cheat, I would take his number straight away!

In your eyes cheating does exist, but if an umpire is found to be cheating, he would be removed straight away from the umpiring group, and would find it hard to umpire anywhere ever again! Yes I have never seen an EFL game, but have met a couple of umpires from that group through representative games...to say an umpire would cheat is rather ludicrous, and if an umpire does cheat he should give it up, because thats not what we are there for...strangely enough we love the game as much as players and supporters do, we take your abuse, because no one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes...but to call an umpire a cheat isnt on and you should stick to calling us white maggots

*end rant*
I am sure that you probably missed out on a final or during the year a senior game all because you didn't want to report the guy for calling you a cheat.
Most tribunals do generally stick up for the umpires and if they don't then the head league (VCFL in our case), should make it a big issue.
So when you report a player for calling you a cheat that player can get a hefty suspension because of their choice of using threatening and abusive language towards you.

Too often honest mistakes or general incompetence is mistaken for cheating, particularly at lower levels where the impartiality of umpires is not always guaranteed.

At the higher levels the amount of scrutiny, including the keeping of copious number of stats, limits the ability for a corrupt official to last long.

Well said rooboy!

I am sure that you probably missed out on a final or during the year a senior game all because you didn't want to report the guy for calling you a cheat.
Most tribunals do generally stick up for the umpires and if they don't then the head league (VCFL in our case), should make it a big issue.
So when you report a player for calling you a cheat that player can get a hefty suspension because of their choice of using threatening and abusive language towards you.

Ovens & Murray Senior Grand Finals before moving onto bigger things is a bit hard to argue with...but back to your post, once again read thoroughly, I said...

...yes Ive been abused before, a f***ing white maggot was hard to take, but I refrained from reporting the player as I felt he was in the moment (being a local league final), but IF a player called me a cheat, I would take his number straight away!

I wasnt called a cheat...this was actually at a lower level than O&M...some common sense should prevail in these types of situations, zero tolerance wasnt in full flight at this stage, hence no report, the team was 10 goals down in an elimination final, so I let it go...yes times have changed, and now I would think twice about reporting the player...

But as I said, abuse is a WHOLE new subject that isnt worth going into, beacuse the views from umpires and supporters are poles apart...I stopped posting on this board for this exact reason, pointless argument...so lets keep the umpire bashing to a minimum and discuss relevant topics such as inquiries about decisions on the weekend and finals appointments!

Actually if we removed all of your posts there would be a decent discussion in here

Where do we stand on the infamous James Hird vs West Coast game in 2004 where McLaren and the other 2 umpires didn't give Hird any Brownlow votes when he was obviously best on ground that night. (34 disposals, 7 marks,3 goals inc 15 odd possession in last quarter when game was there to be won)

It was the week after Hird at criticised the umpires.

Cheating is probably too strong a word but surely the manipulation of the voting could have had massive affect on the Brownlow, betting, etc.

It just goes to show that the umpires are not always ethical and follow the rules to the letter of the law.

Have my doubts there. Considering most of them are you idiots calling umpires cheats. :rolleyes:
No, he would be right.

You've added close to no intelligent discussion to this thread other than "umpires don't cheat, la la la la la I can't hear you."

That and the fact your inability to understand that we're not saying "umpires are cheats" as a whole - I mean, christ, I'm an ump - we're saying that cheating has and does happen. To suggest otherwise is naive, if you believe we live in a perfect world with no violence, rape, racism, etc.

Cheating is probably too strong a word but surely the manipulation of the voting could have had massive affect on the Brownlow, betting, etc.

You could argue that Hird manipulated or at least influenced the voting by commenting on the umpires.

A similar sort of thing seems to have happened with people like Buckley or Williams where they have talked their way out of votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back