Apr 28, 2002
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pick 49 in the 2005 Rookie Draft

stiller.jpg

Twitter

Summary:

* inaugural Queensland team of the year (#10)
* 2007 review (#13)
* 2008 review (#60)
* 50th game (#84)
* concussion (#105)
* 2009 review (#116)
* 2010 review (#143)
* 2011 review (#194)
* 2012 review (#263)
* Delisted (#255)

Contract status: 2010 - 2012

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2006: =12th (27 votes)
2007: 7th (45.5 votes)
2008: =23rd (9 votes)
2009: 17th (20.5 votes)
2010: =22nd (7.5 votes)
2011: 11th (19 votes)

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

This is going to sound ignorant - but I had honestly never heard of this guy. Seems a gun -

This is going to sound ignorant - but I had honestly never heard of this guy. Seems a gun -

Started last year as a first year rookie with not a lot of hype. Got elevated about round 3 -- generally to the surprise of most, as Roe was still a rookie at that stage -- and did ok without drawing a lot of attention. Got a Rising Star later in the season and showed an unusual ability for finding the ball -- averaged 20 possessions a game by seasons end.

Good pace, decent engine for a 20yo, kicks pretty well.

Pretty much caught all of us by surprise, so not that unbelievable you'd missed him.

A champ in the making

http://lions.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5085/Default.aspx?newsId=40046
Top-eight finish the aim: Stiller

Simon White for Brisbane Lions Football Club

The Brisbane Lions can aim for a top-eight finish in 2007, according to emerging utility Cheynee Stiller.

Stiller, who started 2006 as a rookie before being elevated to the senior list and playing 13 games, is one of a clutch of young cubs to emerge at the Gabba in the past two seasons. He is confident he and his fellow youngsters can merge with more seasoned campaigners – including several returning from injury – to form a more competitive outfit.

"I think we are a realistic shot at making the eight," Stiller told lions.com.au. "I suppose a lot of teams will say the same if all their good players are able to get out on the field. But we have a lot of experienced players who should play a fair bit more footy this year and a bunch of younger guys who now have a few games behind them. I definitely think we can look at the finals."

This time last year, most observers didn't envision Stiller being in the reckoning for a regular senior berth – he hadn’t played in either of the Lions' 2006 NAB Cup matches. Even now, after a debut season in which he averaged better than 20 disposals a match, the 20-year-old still believes his spot in the side is one he'll have to fight for.

"I feel like I’m a better player than I was going into last year. I've got another AFL pre-season under my belt and I've had the summer to work on some of my weaknesses," he said.

"But, to be honest, I don't really feel too different to this time last year. I'm a little more confident having played a few games, but there are going to be a lot of guys back from injury and there is going to be competition for spots."

Competition from resuming veterans or not, the Lions' NAB Cup campaign was further evidence of the exciting young talent at the club. While 2006 wasn't a watershed year for the club – only seven wins and a 13th-place finish – Stiller hopes the growing pains associated with blooding 10 debutants, on top of 11 in 2005, have long-term benefits.

"Last year was unfortunate with injuries and the way the team went. But I guess it gave some of us younger guys opportunities to play and helped the club to find a few players for the future," Stiller said.

"Without some of the more experienced guys, like ‘Vossy’ (Michael Voss) and ‘Leppa’ (Justin Leppitsch), who were still playing last year, it's now almost like the younger generation makes up the majority. There is a really good atmosphere around the place and I think we showed that in the NAB Cup. There had been a bit of bad press about us last year and over the pre-season – we wanted to show we didn't deserve it by playing well in the NAB Cup."

Of course the Lions' fortunes in 2007 will also be heavily dependent on the contributions of the club's more experienced players, including recently named co-captains Jonathan Brown and Nigel Lappin, both of whom missed chunks of the past two seasons – in Lappin's case the entirety of 2006 – with injury. Stiller believes the unique five-captain model unveiled by the club last week will have few, if any, drawbacks and plenty of benefits.

"It might look unusual but I really don't think it's going to be strange at all," Stiller said..

"We've had those five guys as the leadership group since the start of pre-season training and we've got used to that. This way there will always be a captain around when you need one. I think it will work really well."

Cheynee has started the year in great style. He continues to be a ball magnet with over 20 possessions per game in each of the first two rounds. What has been most impressive for me though is the improvement that he has shown in other aspects of his game. I have noticed that in each of the first two rounds and in the preseason he was given a specific defensive task which seemed to be his number 1 priority. He has concentrated on shutting down his player first and foremost and as the game progresses work more into the game offensively. As a consequence he has much better awareness of where his man is and is much quicker to pick him up or move to his defensive assignment.

His disposals also seem to have improved nicely from last year. He is hurting teams with his disposals much more than last year as now he is consistently hitting his targets and just as importantly picking the right target to go to. Another thing which is evident is that he is moving things on much quicker than last year as well.

At the end of last year he was one of the main culprits of the Lions young guys tendency to stop, prop and slow everything down and allow oppositions to recover and match up. This year is has shown great judgement in when to slow things up, when to move it on and when to take on the man himself.

If he continues to develop as he has been he might well be a champion of the competition. He has all the tools and is working very hard to address the problems that existed in his game.

Link

Matthews likened Harding's speed and ability to clear the ball from congested areas as reminiscent of Jason Akermanis, while Stiller, who was tagged yesterday, "just worked and worked and worked and eventually broke (Ryan) Crowley".

Link (warning - this is an Afl.com link)

Stiller chance to play

3:05:00 PM Mon 21 May, 2007
for lions.com.au

Cheynee Stiller may yet line-up for the Lions this Saturday night against Collingwood despite spraining his ankle on the weekend.

Stiller fell awkwardly on his ankle after a marking contest during the final quarter of Saturday's match against the Bombers and failed to take any further par in the match.

He was cleared on any major damage and will be hoping to recover by Saturday night.

4kw5zt3.jpg

6hd5nxx.jpg

Cheynee Stiller and Josh Drummond were both picked in the inaugural Queensland Team of the Year.
That team is a bit of a joke. Mitch Hahn was named in the centre but has barely played all year. Bushy was named as ruck rover - barely played on-ball all year. Harding was named rover - dropped more often than red-headed teenager.

It's a nice idea but I don't think Queensland footy is developed enough to make this team worthy.

Link

2007 Queensland Team of the Year

8:46 AM Wed 12 September, 2007
Ron McDonald
for lions.com.au

Stiller, who played all 22 games for the Lions in 2007, was delighted to have gained selection in the team, which will be selected on an annual basis and announced at the AFLQ Awards Dinner each September.

“It’s a nice honour and reward for having a good season,” Stiller said.

“Queensland footy has gone ahead in leaps and bounds over the last few years and it’s a credit to AFLQ that they now have enough players in the AFL to put a team together. Probably a few years ago they wouldn’t have been able to do that.”

stillerdu1.jpg

End of Season Player Review

After playing 13 games as an elevated rookie in 2006, Stiller started the year on the senior list for the first time. He had a consistent year, playing all 22 games and getting 14 disposals or more in every game bar one. He was one of our leading disposal getters for the year, averaging 20.2 a game, and finished 7th in the B&F.

But Stiller is the type of player that can be a big possession getter without you really noticing. Although he is phlegmatic and not very flamboyant, this is also indicative of his strengths and weaknesses. He is a terrific runner which allows him to find space to receive the ball (he was 2nd in marks for the Lions in 07). But while he doesn’t shirk the contest, he is not a big winner of contested ball, and while he is a nice kick on his left, he can probably get better at knowing how best to kick it to advantage.

Cheynee now has 35 games under his belt (playing the last 33 straight) and being a prolific possession getter has already been tagged on occasion. One area he has improved throughout the year is the ability to play on quickly, and if he can continue to improve the hurt factor in his game he has the makings of a very good player.

stillerhw3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from Bozo, Chinny is the least posted about player on this board.

2008 will be the Year of the Stiller.

He had a great year in 2007 building momentum for future years though. He may not get the coverage of other young players, but that may be a positive. We all saw what happened after Sherman, who never had a problem being talked about, had a slower year.

Although I didn't post much on this thread I think I did talk him up plenty in my match reports. His ability to find the ball and his improving disposal makes me think he will become a very important player for us. He seems like the natural successor to Nigel at the moment.

I really rate this kid now and am pretty confident that when he has the ball he usually uses it better than most. Has good composure and i think the match committee pretty much has him in the top 22, a decision i am very comfortable with. If he maintains his form whilst stepping up another level, we could be seeing the makings of a left footed Nigel Lappin as per Quigs' comments - a big call, but if he is half as good as Nige, i am satisified.

Cheynee Stiller's the one to watch, Nigel Lappin says

Article from:
sm_sundaymail.gif

By Damien Stannard
February 17, 2008 12:00am

IN Melbourne's AFL circle the only Brisbane Lions players with household names are Simon Black, Jonathan Brown, Nigel Lappin, Jamie Charman and Luke Power.

Jed Adcock, Rhan Hooper and Jared Brennan could be anything but they are not there yet.

According to Lappin, there is one player whose blissful anonymity is about to be shattered – Cheynee Stiller.

Stiller is entering his third season on the club's list after averaging more than 20 disposals in each of the past two years.

To put that in perspective, three-time club champion Black averaged 12 and 18 touches in his first two seasons.

Last year, Stiller finished seventh in the club's best and fairest after playing in every game yet the Queenslander still sneaks under the radar.

Opposition coaches prefer to apply their taggers to Black, Lappin and Power.

"That won't happen forever. He'll start playing more of an active, getting role," Lappin said.

Stiller joined the club from the Northern Eagles and was promoted to the primary list in 2006.

Other 2005 draftees have had a higher profile but none have worked harder.

Carlton's Marc Murphy was that year's top pick and Magpie Dale Thomas went at No.2 yet neither can boast the Lions' wingman's statistics.

"There's a lot of guys who are paid more than him who don't do as good a job," Lappin said.

"He's very loyal and I hope he stays around the club a long time and the club stands by him."

Respect travels both ways between the two.

Both are elite runners and use the ball well and Stiller openly admits he models his game on the Lions co-captain.

"I've always admired Nigel as I was growing up and since I've been at the club I admire him more," the 21-year-old said.

"I suppose I benefit from having so many good players in the midfield. Nigel came back last year and this year we've added Travis Johnstone.

"We're able to rotate the midfield and if one of the players is down there's always someone else to step up."

Stiller was among the fittest at the club during the pre-season winning the 3km time trial in 9min 57secs.

He is proud of his pre-season efforts but wants to play a more versatile hand this year.

"Possession stats are good to evaluate your game and you like to get good numbers but things like tackles, spoils and defensive pressure are more impressive," he said.

Stiller wants to offer coach Leigh Matthews an extra on-ball option as well as the ability to play in defence.

Such gut-busting fitness and multi-skilling will come in handy during the Lions' NAB Cup campaign, with coaches only allowed to make 16 rotations each quarter.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23225037-5003410,00.html

0,,5892477,00.jpg

There is a full-page article about Stiller in this week's Inside Football (yeah i know its a trash rag but it helps kill the break between lectures).

I don't have time to type the whole article because its a page long, but the key points are...

- He was a highly vaunted talent in both Aussie Rules and Rugby League as a kid. He was selected in under 12 rep sides for both and had to make a choice... he went with Aussie Rules.

- Since he made the change he doesn't even watch Rugby League on TV anymore, as he finds its two 'monotonous' and 'two-dimensional' compared to AFL with too much running in straight lines. There is more 'thinking' involved in AFL.

- He has been playing with groin niggles for the past two years. These niggles have now been sorted and he has had his first unhindered pre-season this year. Reckons he pushed his young body too hard in the first couple of years, but now feels like his body has caught up.

- The Lions rate him as a key player in the new generation.

- He said that the Lions are excellent at finding the balance between giving young guys senior experience but not over-doing it.

- Also said that he is one of several players approaching the 50 game milestone and that with the dropping of the 'kid' title he will be expected to perform at a high level on a consistent basis.

- The article points out that he has averaged just 20 possessions a game over his first 35 games, Simon Black averaged 16.

- His name is pronounced Chay-nee, not Shaney.

always liked the way stiller goes about his game, and is very simular to how nig plays his game. nothing wrong with getting another nice link man in our team.

while he has sometimes been a lil poor with his disposal, it certainly isn't any worse than others in our team the past 2 years and he is still learning. it will improve. he manages to find it 20 times a game which is a very good base to start with.

was a guy who sat a few rows behind us last year who always trash talked stiller bout his disposal. half the time it wasn't his fault, there wasn't much to kick to or it was a very outnumbered contest.

but i can't say ive never seen him give up or not have a go, and thats a good starting base too. will only improve

Remove this Banner Ad

Back