Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

but but ... Mayne kicked 28 goals one year.
28! thats nearly 30 !!

Seriously though.. he is an upgrade on Blair.. at least with this forward tackler his tackles stick!
Ooh a Blair upgrade, that feels me with excitement.

I was in a fortunate position of discussing the Mayne acquisition with someone at Collingwood and the reasoning behind getting him was because, believe it or not I don't care, he is a very good leader and on field coach. Someone who can guide our young forward line to work with some semblance of organization.
A potential Maxwell for the forward half of the ground.
Sounds great, apart from the fact we could have got someone to do all the stuff you mention at one fifth of the cost .

Sounds great, apart from the fact we could have got someone to do all the stuff you mention at one fifth of the cost .
That's pathetic by the club, who is this guy we missed?

The incompetence never ends!
Grimes wouldn't last a minute at Collingwood with he who isn't to be mentioned outside of the megathread in charge :p

“What's this? 'Extremely high voltage.' Well, I don't need safety gloves, 'cause I'm Nathan Buck...”

tumblr_mjqz6eGM161rkuidwo1_500.png

this is a welcome thread isn't it? why does everyone care what he gets paid, I realise that if its that much it could effect future propositions but why do people feel they know better than the club?
It cant of been that much if you want to compare compo scenarios Richmond got the same band as freo and vickery only got a 2 year 500k deal I'm pretty sure if it was the media speculated 4 year 500k freo would of got a first rounder.

to me the questions is can mayne play well with us and will he do the job asked of him
by the coaches. if the answer is yes, then that's all l care about.
money will take care of it self and not really relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny, we had a more expensive waste of space for the past 4 odd years in Cloke. Yet people want to grill this guy who hasn't had a chance to prove himself in our colours yet. I have more faith he will do the team things and put more effort in than Cloke has. Listen to the type of guy he is when he speaks, we need him on our list. His work ethic on the ground and team aspect is something that shouldn't be undervalued either.

Funny, we had a more expensive waste of space for the past 4 odd years in Cloke. Yet people want to grill this guy who hasn't had a chance to prove himself in our colours yet. I have more faith he will do the team things and put more effort in than Cloke has. Listen to the type of guy he is when he speaks, we need him on our list. His work ethic on the ground and team aspect is something that shouldn't be undervalued either.
Why shouldn't they? Is Chris Mayne in a black and white jersey a different player to Chris Mayne in a purple jersey?

While I always like a bit of defence of a Collingwood player the rewriting of history of another Collingwood premiership player gets tedious. Cloke a waste of space for 4 years which includes hiss 2013 AA year. Still it's more than that, Cloke had a terrible 2016 but it's just ignoring his output to suggest he was a waste of space before that.

More than anything I get annoyed by the continual reference to him not trying over recent seasons. This has become the classic myth. One thing Cloke was always known for was putting in and training hard. His contract didn't work out as hoped but he tried. Not sure on the benefit of continually running down a player who is one of the great forwards Collingwood had had over the last 50 years.

While I always like a bit of defence of a Collingwood player the rewriting of history of another Collingwood premiership player gets tedious. Cloke a waste of space for 4 years which includes hiss 2013 AA year. Still it's more than that, Cloke had a terrible 2016 but it's just ignoring his output to suggest he was a waste of space before that.

More than anything I get annoyed by the continual reference to him not trying over recent seasons. This has become the classic myth. One thing Cloke was always known for was putting in and training hard. His contract didn't work out as hoped but he tried. Not sure on the benefit of continually running down a player who is one of the great forwards Collingwood had had over the last 50 years.
I do agree with the sentiment but in the end Cloke was kicked out of the leadership group. Not a waste of space which is a bit harsh but a wasted investment nonetheless for a playet of his reputed ilk. I will leave it up to the experts and historians to discuss who and what is to blame for that poor ROI.
Meanwhile let's hope Mayne will be better remembered for his on and off field exploits

Mayne will show his worth in the blocking and tackling, the hard work off and on the ball with the main benefactor being young Darcy Moore. He will be good for a few goals too and (touch wood) won't waste opportunities.

For those who watch football and not just possession counts, watch Mayne and what he adds to the offensive makeup going into 2017.

I don't understand how someone makes it on an afl list with bad work ethic and team aspect in this day and age.. i don't understand why any club would recruit a player to teach others on field.. to scrap around the forward 50.. and to avg .8 goals a game. If you're a forward the number 1 deal breaker is 'can you kick goals' if the answer is 'no' then i don't give a s**t about anything else you can do.. that's why i never understood why we went after Jess White.. the bloke couldn't kick a goal at Syd either.. and he's proven that again at Coll. You do not recruit a bloke to apply forward half pressure and to rally the troops.. wtf is that!!! Go get goal kickers please!!!

I don't subscribe to the theory that 'he needed a change' 'he wants to rejuvenate his career'.. that's all way too subjective for me.. we tried it with Jordan Russell.. Clinton Young.. the big Q Stick.. if the runs arn't on the board then cut the crap.. If Mayne was recruited for 'a change would do him the world of good' overlooking his stats over the last couple of yrs.. then that's a seriously very poor decision made by the club.. there was no reason in terms of form to get him to make the move over..

I don't subscribe to the theory that 'he needed a change' 'he wants to rejuvenate his career'.. that's all way too subjective for me.. we tried it with Jordan Russell.. Clinton Young.. the big Q Stick.. if the runs arn't on the board then cut the crap.. If Mayne was recruited for 'a change would do him the world of good' overlooking his stats over the last couple of yrs.. then that's a seriously very poor decision made by the club.. there was no reason in terms of form to get him to make the move over..
All are busts, yes but you can also quote those who have turned careers around at other Clubs, Kennedy at Sydney the highlight. Mayne has been brought in for a reason and before a kick has been made this year wait until we see if the structure forward is effective or not. It is a team game and he has been brought in to fill a role, let's see if it is effective first before supporters write him off.

FTR I was not that keen on drafting him but I can see the value he will/should bring.

All are busts, yes but you can also quote those who have turned careers around at other Clubs, Kennedy at Sydney the highlight. Mayne has been brought in for a reason and before a kick has been made this year wait until we see if the structure forward is effective or not. It is a team game and he has been brought in to fill a role, let's see if it is effective first before supporters write him off.

FTR I was not that keen on drafting him but I can see the value he will/should bring.
At what age did Kennedy make the move to Sydney.. 28? C'mon man.

In this day and age where afl clubs scrutinize their potential draftees and recruits to the nth degree.. then obviously most if not all players have a strong work ethic.. its not the 90s.. so i don't understand why this 'strong work ethic' theory applies to Mayne so much.. why do we feel the need to highlight it as much as we do. It's ridiculous. You can't kick goals.. you shouldn't be on our list.. period!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back