Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Good luck to the Mayne man, he got the absolute most out of himself after moving across the country and reinventing himself after a difficult beginning. A consummate clubman you feel our youngsters will have benefitted from his example around the club. Hope he enjoys his retirement and will be interesting to see if he pops up as a coach for one of the WA clubs in times to come. At least a WAFL club next year would be a cert if he wanted it you feel.

A much maligned player throughout his time with us which I've always felt was rather unfair. Was able to reinvent himself into a real roleplayer for us. Always put his body on the line. Who can forget his performance in the 2018 Grand Final. Wore the Black and White as it should, determined and committed.

A quote from 2020 to sum up Mayney:

Thanks mate!

Well done on your career,Mayney.You were never the most talented player,but you always gave 100% whenever you played,and that’s all you can ask from any player.All the best on your retirement,Chris.Enjoy it.

IMO by far the biggest list cloggier CFC has had in a while, key corner stone to Buckley's demise....

But, can't deny he milked every inch of talent from what was given and I congratulate him on forging a long AFL career...He did have his moments!

Bullshit.

I'm sad, but he is not getting any younger. I really loved what he was doing in 2018. His Lunchtime interview was really interesting to listen to, as well. Will miss him

What a great servant this man has been. I'll definitely own the fact that I missed the mark with my early assessment of his value to the team - I didn't want him on the list and I was wrong. He is a 'heart & soul' kind of player and is committed, disciplined, composed & dependable. He has been one of our better performers since 2018, and even though his risk-averse style can frustrate us at times, he's a player that knows his limitations and plays within them for the betterment of the team. Good on him for making the call before time catches up with him.

IMO by far the biggest list cloggier CFC has had in a while, key corner stone to Buckley's demise....

But, can't deny he milked every inch of talent from what was given and I congratulate him on forging a long AFL career...He did have his moments!
Whilst I don’t disagree with this take it’s not the time.

He worked very hard for CFC and is an outstanding bloke from all reports. Let his fans celebrate Mayne’s career.

With his form in ‘21 he easily could have got another year. After a rocky adjustment he ends as a handy player for the pies. Good versatility and reportedly an even better attitude.

Hopefully we can get back to the footy to send him off.

Congrats on a great career Mayney...you always played "bigger than you were" and never took a backward step. The '18GF and that day you stopped Patrick Cripps stand out to me but your professionalism, love of the jumper and your willingness to help others has also set you apart.
Freo's gonna get a wonderful assistant coach next year I reckon!

A few underselling his ability here. Yes, his slow ball movement always drove me mad but that was clearly a directive. He was on track for the Norm Smith in the grand final and would have gone close if we had won. He is in great form at a time when most players are declining in output. I think statistically, this has been his most successful season with regard to possessions, disposal efficiency etc. Enormous courage and clearly dearly loved by his teammates.

Congrats on a great career Mayney...you always played "bigger than you were" and never took a backward step. The '18GF and that day you stopped Patrick Cripps stand out to me but your professionalism, love of the jumper and your willingness to help others has also set you apart.
Freo's gonna get a wonderful assistant coach next year I reckon!
Why don't we grab him as an assistant to who ever takes over?

Wrong!

Selfless decision by a selfless man. Could have gone around again if he wanted to but he’s done the team thing and we’ll be better off for it.

Yep, this. Taking yet another hit for the team. Good luck to him in life beyond footy, hopefully we can rattle up a few wins to send him off.

You don't get to nearly 250 games as a list clogger.

He was a solid B+ player at his best, a leader and clubman, and the sort you need around the club.

Back