Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) and the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Or the evidence may become overwhelming and they’ll be forced to change it or see participation drop off a cliff.

I mean, none of this conversation is about choosing to do it.

I’m sure they’d have a crack at modifying the game.

The evidence for the damage cigarettes and alcohol does to you is pretty overwhelming too, still seem to be fairly available and not banned..

Vast majority of players from 70s, 80s and 90s are absolutely fine. This is because they played before the area of the league trying to protect the head, so they didn't purposely try and lead their head into other players in order to get cheap free kicks. The modern players are stuffed, because they ram their head into opponents to get free kicks because the league now try to protect the head.
How do you know they are fine? That’s quite the assumption to be making.

CTE isn’t able to be diagnosed until the player has died. Studies on this sort of stuff in the AFL is still very recent.

Frawley had it. Several players from that era have spoken of long term issues relating to head knocks they copped throughout their career. There would be more who probably aren’t fine who would have CTE because the effects on their brain weren’t blatantly obvious to them or their families and they put it down to ageing.

Based on what has been seen overseas in other sports I’d say a long term study on deceased AFL players from those eras would produce some frightening results. You’re talking about a time when concussion was viewed like a sprained ankle.

We probably pay more attention to Selwood because he’s a big name, but jeez I can’t remember another player who so consistently leads with the head. I shudder to think how many hits he’s had. Thousands.
There was someone claiming to be a doctor on the radio a few years ago who claimed there was already evidence of cognitive decline when it came to Selwood when hearing the difference in his speech over the years.

The question I have on CTE is what research is being done on people who didn't play sport and have no history of concussion. We do know that there have been people who played contact sport and had a history of concussion who didn't have CTE. Are they doing the research on both sides to come to a conclusive outcome.

The question I have on CTE is what research is being done on people who didn't play sport and have no history of concussion. We do know that there have been people who played contact sport and had a history of concussion who didn't have CTE. Are they doing the research on both sides to come to a conclusive outcome.
I was cleaned up in a hit and run a couple of years back. Was found unconscious and ****ed up. Anyway I’ve always been happy go lucky, and still sorta am, but I have black dog days. It’s ok I guess. I see them coming and deal with it in my own way, but the best I’ve ever got from a neurologist is that they won’t have the answer without an autopsy. Wait! What?

Compulsory one match break introduced.

It’s just the beginning.
'bout time.

Bizarre and utterly baffling that they haven't done this sooner.

Even more baffling is that their 'experts' still don't realise that you don't need to be actually concussed in order for damage to occur.

You can suffer trauma without actually being concussed.

Anyway, hopefully the next step will be to introduce the 'Tom Lynch Rule' that makes it illegal to cannon into the back of a bloke's head with your forearm.

It's simply unbelievable that the 'head is sacrosanct' yet he is allowed to do it eaach week. Just extraordinary really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back