Teams Cincinnati Bengals - Who Dey

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Where are the Bengals placed?

Just saw that, damn - that would have to be close to the hardest schedule next season.

Every season tosses up different scenarios, no such thing as harder schedule than previous as playing in the AFC North is tough enough..... this year was no walk in the park either so it's back to the drawing board for Marvin Lewis who'll need to upgrade the roster to have any chance of defending their title... smart teams progress. Is Cinci a smart team... we'll find out in the off-season.

Cincinnati Bengals 2010 schedule:
Home: Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Miami, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, San Diego
Away: Baltimore, Cleveland,, Pittsburgh, New England, N.Y. Jets, Atlanta, Carolina, Indianapolis

The Bengals D improved remarkedly, the running game was their strength and
they swept the division. But on the flipside, only 4-6 against teams outside their own division. Can't see Cinci sweeping the AFC North next season. No sireee.

That's not that tough a schedule really. You would think they would be favourites in the bolded games. Plus also a chance in the underlined games.

Well I noticed you posted in another thread cheering Jets win and next to your avatar you have Jets!! Just a week after posting Bengals thread!
Fair enough f you want to change teams but to jump to the team that knocked your previous team out?? Are u changing to Adelaide Crows now?;)

Well I noticed you posted in another thread cheering Jets win and next to your avatar you have Jets!! Just a week after posting Bengals thread!
Fair enough f you want to change teams but to jump to the team that knocked your previous team out?? Are u changing to Adelaide Crows now?;)

Oh ok. I'm just on the Jets for the playoffs. I'll be back on the Bengals next season. I have a soft spot for the Jets after going to the Jets-Titans game in October and getting a Jets jersey. But I'm a Bengals man through and through.

The QB has exactly 1 threatening wide receiver. They need another one.

Though Palmer has never looked the same since his injury.

Henry had CTE when he died

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5333971

Chris Henry, the Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver who died in a traffic accident last year, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) -- a form of degenerative brain damage caused by multiple hits to the head -- at the time of his death, according to scientists at the Brain Injury Research Institute, a research center affiliated with West Virginia University.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5333971

important when it comes to the discussion on what to do with concussion. Henry never suffered from one while playing the NFL and at WR you would expect as many hits as other positions. Is the NFL an inherently dangerous sport? What does this mean going forward in dealing with head trauma in players?

Re: Henry had CTE when he died

When you have THE worst tackling style of any professional tackling sport, things like this are bound to happen.

I wouldn't say NFL Football is inherently dangerous, certainly not moreso than, say, AFL which is a 360 degree sport with no helmets. I also wouldn't say head trauma in NFL is 'more' dangerous than boxing or MMA.

When you have THE worst tackling style of any professional tackling sport, things like this are bound to happen.

I wouldn't say NFL Football is inherently dangerous, certainly not moreso than, say, AFL which is a 360 degree sport with no helmets. I also wouldn't say head trauma in NFL is 'more' dangerous than boxing or MMA.

THE Worst? how about 'unrestricted' ;) AFL = WORST!! :p accidental fingernail infringements makes netball look vicious!!

But on Henry.. the research should be more comprehensive rather than 'put the focus' just on NFL and it's hard hitting ways, like how many other WR's suffer the same condition. Lynn Swann ought to have CTE if that's the case, considering the ol' Raiders' brutal treatment of him. Boxing is clearly where CTE is most common.. logic says so.

I just don't understand how this is possible wearing a modern helmet.

They are taught to lead with the head, though, aren't they? I think having helmets is making guys careless. If they'd kept to minor protection or none at all, you wouldn't use your head as a weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE Worst? how about 'unrestricted' ;) AFL = WORST!! :p accidental fingernail infringements makes netball look vicious!!

I'm talking about the style, leading with the head is no way to tackle someone...as that English fullback will tell you when Jonah Lomu ran over him in the 95 World Cup.

I'm talking about the style, leading with the head is no way to tackle someone...as that English fullback will tell you when Jonah Lomu ran over him in the 95 World Cup.

Ah, the SPEAR! Very dangerous indeed!! In rugby it looks like this:

[YOUTUBE]OsXJyDHFKn0&hl[/YOUTUBE]

In Gridiron terms: More like the one @ 0.29 amongst some vicious licks...hmmmm the one @ 2.51.. :( but it is a Ratbird!! :D

[YOUTUBE]eK58rXM1X50&hl[/YOUTUBE]

ive also thought the tackling style was suspect in the american game. coming from a rugby background, it was something i had to get used to.........leading with the head across the body rather than behind it as in the rugby codes. but it needs to be done that way due to the padding. otherwise, the tackler will either bounce off, be brushed off with a stiff-arm easily, or will just end up effecting am ineffective arm tackle with no oomph behind it.

leading with the head across the body is the most effective way of bringing the ball carrier down. wearing the helmet allows players to do it this way, unlike rugby where the style would result in concussion and death on most occassions.

Falling off the truck wouldn't have helped, must have had some influence on the results.

Not having read any article and being limited to what I've heard on ESPN I believe the medical staff had said that the damage they were talking about was not caused by the fall. Happy to be corrected.

I do remember ESPN analyst, Mike Wilbon, saying he won't be letting his boy play football.

Not having read any article and being limited to what I've heard on ESPN I believe the medical staff had said that the damage they were talking about was not caused by the fall. Happy to be corrected.

I do remember ESPN analyst, Mike Wilbon, saying he won't be letting his boy play football.

You are right (at least, that is what I have read). CTE is apparently caused by repeated blows, not one fatal one.

It seems as though the fall from the truck wasn't made worse from CTE. It just became apparent after an examination of his brain after the fall.

I just don't understand how this is possible wearing a modern helmet.

Because as the old argument against mandatory helmet use in Aussie Rules goes, you can wrap an egg in all the protection in the world, but if you shake it the yolk will still break.

Similar to shearing forces in car accidents. All the airbags and crumble zones in the world won't save you.

So what would be some positive changes that could be made?

e.g. no tackle during practise (as advocated by some).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back