Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates pt2

How would you find Bradley Robert Edwards?

• Not guilty on all

• Guilty on all

• Ciara Glennon - Guilty

• Ciara Glennon & Jane Rimmer - Guilty

• I need more information!

• This is sooo sub-judice, I'm dobbing you in shellyg

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What effect is Seven West Media publicising today, that BRE is hated by fellow inmates, likely to have on BRE and possibly the trial?

Is the front page of the online and paper media possibly being used today, to put more pressure on BRE to plead guilty, or confess, in order to receive continued and more protection in jail once he is sentenced for the at least jail-able crimes he has already pleaded guilty to?

View attachment 884340

View attachment 884341

I think it's pretty unlikley BRE gets to see newspapers, especially when they have articles on him.

Life in Casuarina is very locked down. Every single document prisoners see has to be inspected and approved by prison authorities. I guess - never having been a guest myself - that they aren't allowed radio or TV either.

About the only way BRE could learn of the article is if his parents or lawyer tell him.

rather than a finding of not guilty on the SS charge, is it possible to have a finding that says the prosecution haven't proven there case by lack of evidence, so the charge is dismissed, which then means he can be tried for the crime later?
I’ve been wondering this myself.

So are we expecting to hear the closing address's this week? or will these take some time to prepare??

Yovich might blow us away on closing arguments, something to do with the weather in Gosnells. 😬
I would imagine Yovich would have to come out 'all guns blazing', this is his last chance to gain a not guilty verdict. If he does not and just gives a half hearted closing argument I think we can be pretty sure something is up, like BRE has admitted guilt to him. Through out the trial Yovich has not tried any of the usual tactics, ie: he was not there, he was some where else, it was some one else, it couldnt be him because....he has really only questioned some of the evidence, there was no strong denial it was BRE.

If he does not and just gives a half hearted closing argument I think we can be pretty sure something is up, like BRE has admitted guilt to him.

Yer, I think Jezza's possibly right in that Yovich has been trying to run a defence with his hands tied behind his back. BRE could have fired him though after making admissions and got a fresh one to fight the remaining challenged charges imo.

... I hope that's not a point of appeal.

I think it's pretty unlikley BRE gets to see newspapers, especially when they have articles on him.

Life in Casuarina is very locked down. Every single document prisoners see has to be inspected and approved by prison authorities. I guess - never having been a guest myself - that they aren't allowed radio or TV either.

About the only way BRE could learn of the article is if his parents or lawyer tell him.
Being in jail removed from society without your freedom is supposed to be the punishment, they're not supposed to be subjected to hell on earth for the duration they're locked up on top of that. Provided you can behave yourself & do whats expected, you'll get additional "luxuries" that other less fortunate (read badly behaved) inmates wont have access to.

The security level & the amount of equipment available to prisoners & the policies implemented by the jail would dictate what was provided or they were permitted to have or keep in their cells. Then the security level of the individual, classified by the jail & according to their behaviour also comes into play.

Good behaviour, doing whats expected and making sure the officers job is as easy as possible goes a long way to doing your jail time more comfortably than someone who doesnt want to play nicely with everyone else, but its a fine line between those who have a long sentence and will do whatever they can to make it comfortable & those that are so angry & bitter with a nothing left to lose mentality, they really dont care how they behave or how it effects anyone else.

How easily you do your time in jail is very much up to the individual. Be good and you'll be rewarded, disrupt everyone and you'll have no privileges at all.
IMO, Bradley's Bacon & XBox preferential treatment is all short term benefits for him, and likely longer term pain if he remains in Casuarina.
Xbox's and bacon aren't preferential treatment, its sensationalized bs & I very much doubt anyone sees 24 hour surveillance as "special". We know why his under that regime and so would the other inmates. They would have seen him on the news & know exactly why he's been moved there & there will be alot of interest in him when he's sentenced and that ends.

As for losing his xbox or not having a TV in his cell when that happens, I doubt that. They're both permitted items for prisoners who behave and the article specifically tells us the guards think hes a polite, clean, courteous "non issues" prisoner. He'll keep those things for as long as he stays that way. My guess is he'll eventually be moved into self care and do the majority of his time there with freedom to move unrestricted through his unit, choosing and preparing their own meals.

Will most prisoners have access to the West Australia newspaper across the whole WA prison population?

Probably in the general prison population, but remand prisoners are in complete lock-down to prevent anything predjucing their trial.
Being in jail removed from society without your freedom is supposed to be the punishment, they're not supposed to be subjected to hell on earth for the duration they're locked up on top of that. Provided you can behave yourself & do whats expected, you'll get additional "luxuries" that other less fortunate (read badly behaved) inmates wont have access to.

The security level & the amount of equipment available to prisoners & the policies implemented by the jail would dictate what was provided or they were permitted to have or keep in their cells. Then the security level of the individual, classified by the jail & according to their behaviour also comes into play.

Good behaviour, doing whats expected and making sure the officers job is as easy as possible goes a long way to doing your jail time more comfortably than someone who doesnt want to play nicely with everyone else, but its a fine line between those who have a long sentence and will do whatever they can to make it comfortable & those that are so angry & bitter with a nothing left to lose mentality, they really dont care how they behave or how it effects anyone else.

How easily you do your time in jail is very much up to the individual. Be good and you'll be rewarded, disrupt everyone and you'll have no privileges at all.

Xbox's and bacon aren't preferential treatment, its sensationalized bs & I very much doubt anyone sees 24 hour surveillance as "special". We know why his under that regime and so would the other inmates. They would have seen him on the news & know exactly why he's been moved there & there will be alot of interest in him when he's sentenced and that ends.

As for losing his xbox or not having a TV in his cell when that happens, I doubt that. They're both permitted items for prisoners who behave and the article specifically tells us the guards think hes a polite, clean, courteous "non issues" prisoner. He'll keep those things for as long as he stays that way. My guess is he'll eventually be moved into self care and do the majority of his time there with freedom to move unrestricted through his unit, choosing and preparing their own meals.

I've found this resource that explains a lot more about prison life in W.A. Though it's a bit light on remand prisoners.

https://www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/Prisoner_Handbook.pdf

I would imagine Yovich would have to come out 'all guns blazing', this is his last chance to gain a not guilty verdict. If he does not and just gives a half hearted closing argument I think we can be pretty sure something is up, like BRE has admitted guilt to him. Through out the trial Yovich has not tried any of the usual tactics, ie: he was not there, he was some where else, it was some one else, it couldnt be him because....he has really only questioned some of the evidence, there was no strong denial it was BRE.
If he hadn’t admitted guilt to Yovich. Then I think Yovich would’ve already been more vocal like you said. I honestly don’t see the closing argument being anymore intense then what was dished up during the majority of the trial.

Some good points raised, certainly sensationalized bs. The papers run similar stories over here about prisoners of notoriety. Prisoners do have TVs and Xboxes etc but really, you're living a caged lifestyle. Having worked in one for several years it is quite depressing sometimes working there each half day, and for a prisoner having given up your freedom and a million other cosies we take for granted. Those Xbox games will certainly get boring after playing the same ones (likely chitty PG rated ones) for 15 years in a row, together with the food which will make you porky, looking at steel fencing all day, regimented daily routine forced upon you and your neighbours being a group of top blokes.

Working is a necessity doing any form of long stint so he's going to have to integrate somehow if he wants to stay sane. Conversely that may be overridden by being segregated diminishes the stress regarding the fact that you might get got. I'd take more comfort in knowing he will have to be residing with other prisoners and constantly feel stressed about looking over his shoulder to add a little more weight to his eventual sentence.

This may sound silly but I think this video sums up what I think when things like this article make it seem like he's got it good, or he thinks he’s good for having certain things.

What does everyone think Yovich will say during his closing argument?
All I can think of is that he’ll re hash the incompetent actions from certain people over the years. Might also re run the “never visited Claremont” line (although I highly doubt it). I’m definitely not envious of his situation. It’s not like he has a jury to convince. In all due respect, 12 everyday people are easier to convince then Judge Hall. We’re talking about an astute man that’s been presiding over this highly publicised case.

Some good points raised, certainly sensationalized bs. The papers run similar stories over here about prisoners of notoriety. Prisoners do have TVs and Xboxes etc but really, you're living a caged lifestyle. Having worked in one for several years it is quite depressing sometimes working there each half day, and for a prisoner having given up your freedom and a million other cosies we take for granted. Those Xbox games will certainly get boring after playing the same ones (likely chitty PG rated ones) for 15 years in a row, together with the food which will make you porky, looking at steel fencing all day, regimented daily routine forced upon you and your neighbours being a group of top blokes.

Working is a necessity doing any form of long stint so he's going to have to integrate somehow if he wants to stay sane. Conversely that may be overridden by being segregated diminishes the stress regarding the fact that you might get got. I'd take more comfort in knowing he will have to be residing with other prisoners and constantly feel stressed about looking over his shoulder to add a little more weight to his eventual sentence.

This may sound silly but I think this video sums up what I think when things like this article make it seem like he's got it good, or he thinks he’s good for having certain things.

Totally agree. Hideous places. Full of dickheads for the most part. Doesn't matter who you are on the outside, if you have a semi intact brain, you realise what a colossal waste of existence being in jail is and you forgo any antics, overlook what everyone else is doing & whatevers going on around you, put your head down & do as much as you can while your there to facilitate getting out as quickly as possible. Do every course you can. Work your way to the top tier jobs so you can buy things for yourself without relying on money being put in for you and work towards making your way down to medium, minimum, paroled & out of the system, then making damn sure you never go back.

Jail is jail afterall. You can make it as good for yourself as possible by keeping to yourself and doing the right thing, but you cant leave. Everything you want you have to ask for and can only hope you'll get it at sometime, preferably sooner than later. You're told what to do and when to do it. You're told when to eat, when to stop eating, when to work, when you can phone your friends and family, when you can see a doctor, when you can have visitors, how many & for how long. Rules attached to everything. Little privacy, have to compromise constantly, surrounded by fools, getting strip searched regularly, everything needs approval from someone. Bars, locks, handcuffs, searches, squat, cough, lift your you know whats... etc etc etc... Its groundhog day every boring, frustrating, tedious, regimented day of your life.
But, if you do the crime....

If they took away the TVs, Xboxes, packs of cards, games, books, Cds, DVDs, photo albums, stereos, instruments (depending where you are), phones, pens, art supplies & all the other things people probably dont realise they can get access to and probably dont think they should have, things start to go bad very quickly. Safety disappears, assaults increase, mental health deteriorates & suicide becomes a very real consideration when people lose all hope & have no self worth.

BRE hasn't really had a taste of exactly what his life will be like yet, he's kept away & being protected at least until sentencing. But there's enough who'd love to say they put the CSK in his place and that he got what he deserved & its for that reason & for all the unfortunate things they could do to him, I hope to god it doesn't happen. I dont want him to be protected, I want him in gen pop with all the folk that land there and I want him to feel nervous & unsure of himself until groundhog day eventually overwhelms him & thats the day he might begin to really think about what he's done. Once that kicks in I dont care what happens to him. Harsh......perhaps, but certainly fair for someone who's done what he's admitted to doing let alone anything else he may be found guilty of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree. Hideous places. Full of dickheads for the most part. Doesn't matter who you are on the outside, if you have a semi intact brain, you realise what a colossal waste of existence being in jail is and you forgo any antics, overlook what everyone else is doing & whatevers going on around you, put your head down & do as much as you can while your there to facilitate getting out as quickly as possible. Do every course you can. Work your way to the top tier jobs so you can buy things for yourself without relying on money being put in for you and work towards making your way down to medium, minimum, paroled & out of the system, then making damn sure you never go back.

Jail is jail afterall. You can make it as good for yourself as possible by keeping to yourself and doing the right thing, but you cant leave. Everything you want you have to ask for and can only hope you'll get it at sometime, preferably sooner than later. You're told what to do and when to do it. You're told when to eat, when to stop eating, when to work, when you can phone your friends and family, when you can see a doctor, when you can have visitors, how many & for how long. Rules attached to everything. Little privacy, have to compromise constantly, surrounded by fools, getting strip searched regularly, everything needs approval from someone. Bars, locks, handcuffs, searches, squat, cough, lift your you know whats... etc etc etc... Its groundhog day every boring, frustrating, tedious, regimented day of your life.
But, if you do the crime....

If they took away the TVs, Xboxes, packs of cards, games, books, Cds, DVDs, photo albums, stereos, instruments (depending where you are), phones, pens, art supplies & all the other things people probably dont realise they can get access to and probably dont think they should have, things start to go bad very quickly. Safety disappears, assaults increase, mental health deteriorates & suicide becomes a very real consideration when people lose all hope & have no self worth.

BRE hasn't really had a taste of exactly what his life will be like yet, he's kept away & being protected at least until sentencing. But there's enough who'd love to say they put the CSK in his place and that he got what he deserved & its for that reason & for all the unfortunate things they could do to him, I hope to god it doesn't happen. I dont want him to be protected, I want him in gen pop with all the folk that land there and I want him to feel nervous & unsure of himself until groundhog day eventually overwhelms him & thats the day he might begin to really think about what he's done. Once that kicks in I dont care what happens to him. Harsh......perhaps, but certainly fair for someone who's done what he's admitted to doing let alone anything else he may be found guilty of.
agree, people who say prisoners should not be allowed these everyday commodities, don't have a full understanding of how life works. To be locked away as such, with nothing to take away the boredom or to take your mind off your situation you would soon go mad or get very resentful! The prison atmosphere would go down hill very quickly. Keeping busy whilst in prison by working is not enough, everyone needs some 'down time'.

Probably in the general prison population, but remand prisoners are in complete lock-down to prevent anything predjucing their trial.
Remand prisoners aren't in complete lock down. Hakea is run like any normal jail. There's even some on short sentences who stay there the whole time. If anything the conditions are more relaxed because they havent been sentenced. For one, they can have visitors every day. Most of the others are 2 visits only on weekends. They can also have more money put into their accounts to spend each week than the others. You have alot more rights on remand than you do when your sentenced.

Remand prisoners aren't in complete lock down. Hakea is run like any normal jail. There's even some on short sentences who stay there the whole time. If anything the conditions are more relaxed because they havent been sentenced. For one, they can have visitors every day. Most of the others are 2 visits only on weekends. They can also have more money put into their accounts to spend each week than the others. You have alot more rights on remand than you do when your sentenced.
Would love to be a fly on the wall and observe when he realises that he’s in there for life (providing he is found guilty etc).

I remember as a year 11 student visiting a minimum security years ago. Talking to prisoners whilst studying Legal Studies. I can definitely say you could feel the restrictive environment that is in place. Has that strong vibe about it. Ah well, Do the crime, Do the time. No sympathy here.

I remember the big fuss about his bacon and egg breakfast. As he was a remand prisoner he wasn't allowed that and he got it as a gift from another prisoner (serving time?) who bought it from his earnings. That was part of the reason BRE got moved into higher isolation.

I remember the big fuss about his bacon and egg breakfast. As he was a remand prisoner he wasn't allowed that and he got it as a gift from another prisoner (serving time?) who bought it from his earnings. That was part of the reason BRE got moved into higher isolation.
In regards to the Xbox, Would that come out of his “prison money”. The small allowance that they get? Or would it be a freebie?

In regards to the Xbox, Would that come out of his “prison money”. The small allowance that they get? Or would it be a freebie?
Could be either, depends on what the prison has generally & available at the time. Some things come in from the outside as personal items & become prison items when people get released and they're left behind for others, depends where you are. I'd be inclined to assume its his own & someone probably brought it from home for him.

Thanks Diva and OES. I was thinking along both of your lines.
Imagine the “Can I have a Big TV? I’ll pay you back... I promise. 😜

If I was him I would not be accepting any “gifts” in there, especially not food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back