Strategy Clarko available for 2022, surely we must have a crack

Would you support landing Clarkson and paying out Nicks' last year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If he came to SA, I feel Port might be more attractive as it's a shorter commitment towards a flag. We're a longer term prospect which he might not have enough stamina for.
Given our current list personnel, the age profile and development, we will take 2 or 3 years to open our window. We should be able to hold it open for about 5 to 6 years if we can hold our list together.
It would be ideal if we had a coach come on the same journey with the squad. I don't think Clarko has an 8 to 10 year fire in his belly.

If he came to SA, I feel Port might be more attractive as it's a shorter commitment towards a flag. We're a longer term prospect which he might not have enough stamina for.
Given our current list personnel, the age profile and development, we will take 2 or 3 years to open our window. We should be able to hold it open for about 5 to 6 years if we can hold our list together.
It would be ideal if we had a coach come on the same journey with the squad. I don't think Clarko has an 8 to 10 year fire in his belly.

There is no way Port could afford him.

On top of Clarko's asking price they would have to pay out the remaining 2 years of Ken's contract.

And if they somehow did organise some way to pay for it all they could kiss goodbye to the AFL handouts for the foreseeable future.

Yes. We have gone backwards this season.
Clarko is a once in a generation coach and this is the one chance to make us relevant again.
Players want to play for him. Would result in players wanting to come to the club
Gone backwards? By winning twice the games and being competitive in all but 3? You have clearly forgotten what we were like last year. Every week was like the Essendon game
Having said that, clarko is proven to be a great coach so i wouldn't mind at least asking. I'm not sure he's great at building a list though the last few years at Hawthorn their list management is ordinary

Malthouse from Pies to Carlton. Also Blight failed at St Kilda after us

Most of the other coaches left for a few years and came back, then failed. Bomber Thompson at Essendon, Worsfold at Essendon, Roos at Melbourne
The problem could be the clubs they went to rather than the coach though

Gone backwards? By winning twice the games and being competitive in all but 3? You have clearly forgotten what we were like last year. Every week was like the Essendon game
Having said that, clarko is proven to be a great coach so i wouldn't mind at least asking. I'm not sure he's great at building a list though the last few years at Hawthorn their list management is ordinary
The way the Hawks jettisoned club legends at the (nearly) end of their careers, our senior players would be pretty nervous if he came here. Think Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell etc...
Blight did the same at Adelaide. But how did that turn out? 🏆🏆

Clarko built the list that won 4 premierships.

There is no way Port could afford him.

On top of Clarko's asking price they would have to pay out the remaining 2 years of Ken's contract.

And if they somehow did organise some way to pay for it all they could kiss goodbye to the AFL handouts for the foreseeable future.

The Port Adelaide Football Club are currently an AFL funded club, meaning they qualify for the 6 month pay out rule.

if they wanted to, they could sack Ken Hinkley and would only be required to pay his final 6 months of his contract out.

The Adelaide Crows are not. We are not an AFL funded club. We do not qualify for this rule.

The problem could be the clubs they went to rather than the coach though

they’re not changing coaches because they’re successful

The Port Adelaide Football Club are currently an AFL funded club, meaning they qualify for the 6 month pay out rule.

if they wanted to, they could sack Ken Hinkley and would only be required to pay his final 6 months of his contract out.

? I’d love to know what rule is magically stronger than basic contract law ? Wtf ?

Clarko built the list that won 4 premierships.
Yea I don’t get the can’t build a list, it’s the other end where the problem is, making that decision to go again, they tried to contend again instead of rebuilding again. And they had used up to many picks on players to immediately start another rebuild so have been stuck in limo for a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic coach, probably needs some time away from the game.

Over the last few years, he tends to pull out three or four great coaching efforts a year, and a few head scratchers as well. Has had some magnificent cattle across the journey.

Personally, I think Nicks is doing a good job and were where we should be. There's no shortage of coaches close to being sacked, if if Clarko really wants a job.

Exactly.

There's no point hiring the best coach ever if coaching isn't actually the reason why you are sh*t
Wherever Clarkson goes, he'll be calling the shots, or he'll never go there. I'd expect whatever reasons you're talking about would be something a coach of his standing could get them addressed.

Wherever Clarkson goes, he'll be calling the shots, or he'll never go there. I'd expect whatever reasons you're talking about would be something a coach of his standing could get them addressed.
As an example, do you think we'd allow Clarkson to sack Roo from the board? Even if we promised to give him full control?

The Adelaide Crows are not. We are not an AFL funded club. We do not qualify for this rule.
They still can't afford the $400k the six months would cost.

Plus the AFL has to approve that expenditure.

There is no way the AFL is approving them sacking Kern. Especually when they are in the top 8.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last 5 or 6 games of 2020 we played some of our best footy we've played over the last 2 seasons. I don't think we have improved this year. The rest of the comp except for 2 or 3 teams has gone backwards.

I wonder what would happen if we offered him a 1 year senior coaching consultant position, similar to what we had with Worsfold?

Offer him ridiculous money. He could come home for a year, while taking a step back to reevaluate. Then at the end of 12 months he's free to go where he likes.
Yeah, good idea.
I suggested 3 or 4 rounds ago that the Crows should throw a pile of money @ Clarko ("whatever it takes") and this is a great chance to either get him back here, or in the role you suggested :thumbsu: .
Clarkson >>>> (daylight) Nicks.

Back