Clarkson's legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Pagan coached by Barassi (albeit for a short while) who was coached by Norm Smith.

It all makes sense.

I feel like we are in Inception now

Another self absorbed hawthorn rant, talking about how another teams success was really created or impacted by them. You fellas aren’t dealing with your new found irrelevance all that well....

Please, Sydney supporter, educate us about irrelevance.

Anyone else completely underwhelmed by this stat? Attributing premierships is ridiculous. I'd give him credit for helping develop prospective senior coaches but what they do after that is nearly entirely down to the men themselves. In addition the more years that go by as senior coaches it becomes even less relevant. Eg Hardwick was senior coach at Richmond for what 7 years prior to winning the flag. Who gives a toss about his time as an assistant at that point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo said pagans influence had a greater influence on him ...just sayin

How’s Brendan Bolton going .....

Sorry but Clarke’s success doesn’t mean an assistant will automatically be successful

So many factors

Clarko is a great coach .....admire him , Even if he’s an angry ant lolz.....

Don't forget that the turning point came about because of a former Hawthorn player as well.
Without Woodward guarding space in front of Stephenson Eagles lose by a point

I hope this is sarcasm, Adams shanked the kick and there was no way Stephenson was ever stopping Yeo from taking that mark, runner or no runner.

Time to revisit this thread. Regardless of who wins on Saturday, the last 7 premiership coaches will have been:

Clarkson, Clarkson, Clarkson, Clarkson assistant, Clarkson assistant, Clarkson assistant, Clarkson assistant.

I know Cameron also spent a year with Sheedy at GWS before taking the reins, and a few years at Footscray beforehand. But from his wiki page:

"In September 2010 he accepted an assistant coaching role with Hawthorn, playing an instrumental role in the club as they reached the 2012 AFL Grand Final, which was lost to the Sydney Swans."

It seems pretty clear to me at least, that it was his work with Hawthorn which got him the GWS gig.

Its a wonderful legacy and a credit to the little psycho.

What I have noticed is that Beveridge, Hardwick and Simpson are all really likable people too. Cameron and Fagan too. They are all cut from a similar cloth - almost like school teachers - and have built excellent cultures at their clubs. They win and lose in the right spirit and play hard. Something that should not be taken for granted.

Obviously I am not trying to credit their personalities to Clarkson (though it would wind up a few of the wums itt) but it does make it a lot easier for Clarkson fan's like myself to cheer for his former students and their teams.

The 1983-85 grand final teams were a who's who of coaches and AFL big cheeses (Mainly Hawks but a few Bombers too)

Of all the Hawthorn players who coached, (assistant coach wasnt such a career route those days) I think only Lethal won premierships) I also I think Clarko credits Kennedy with a lot of his mentoring from North days

Hawthorn
B: 7 Gary Ayres 46 Chris Mew 8 David O'Halloran
HB: 29 Russell Greene 20 Michael McCarthy 34 John Kennedy
C: 30 Peter Schwab 16 Terry Wallace 26 Rodney Eade
HF: 11 Gary Buckenara 23 Dermott Brereton 24 Peter Knights
F: 3 Leigh Matthews (c) 21 Michael Byrne 22 Richard Loveridge
Foll: 12 Ian Paton 17 Michael Tuck 32 Colin Robertson
Int: 9 Robert DiPierdomenico 1 Ken Judge
Coach: Allan Jeans
Essendon
B: 9 Shane Heard 28 Paul Weston 17 Stephen Carey
HB: 10 Garry Foulds 30 Kevin Walsh 36 Peter Bradbury
C: 33 Glenn Hawker 1 Merv Neagle 2 Bryan Wood
HF: 23 Rene Kink 25 Roger Merrett 43 Alan Ezard
F: 42 Darren Williams 5 Terry Daniher (c) 18 Paul Van Der Haar
Foll: 27 Simon Madden 32 Tim Watson 20 Tony Buhagiar
Int: 24 Stephen Copping 12 Cameron Clayton
Coach: Kevin Sheedy

The 1983-85 grand final teams were a who's who of coaches and AFL big cheeses (Mainly Hawks but a few Bombers too)

Of all the Hawthorn players who coached, (assistant coach wasnt such a career route those days) I think only Lethal won premierships) I also I think Clarko credits Kennedy with a lot of his mentoring from North days

Hawthorn
Essendon
B: 9 Shane Heard 28 Paul Weston 17 Stephen Carey
HB: 10 Garry Foulds 30 Kevin Walsh 36 Peter Bradbury
C: 33 Glenn Hawker 1 Merv Neagle 2 Bryan Wood
HF: 23 Rene Kink 25 Roger Merrett 43 Alan Ezard
F: 42 Darren Williams 5 Terry Daniher (c) 18 Paul Van Der Haar
Foll: 27 Simon Madden 32 Tim Watson 20 Tony Buhagiar
Int: 24 Stephen Copping 12 Cameron Clayton
Coach: Kevin Sheedy
Excellent points you raise. To examine that Hawks team more closely:

Hawthorn (1983 GF team)

Fully 8 of that team went on to become AFL coaches, and five of those coached at two clubs. I used to think that Tom Hafey produced the most next-generation coaches, but I'm not so sure. Jeans produced a heap too, obviously. Plus quite a few of his St. Kilda players went on to coach. And he coached a year at Richmond too, which would add at least one (Matthew Knights) to his list.

Barassi and Smith must also be in the mix.

Does anyone have a definitive list of next-gen coaches? Sounds like a job for Ron The Bear. I'll just go and activate the signal.

Excellent points you raise. To examine that Hawks team more closely:

Hawthorn (1983 GF team)

Fully 8 of that team went on to become AFL coaches, and five of those coached at two clubs. I used to think that Tom Hafey produced the most next-generation coaches, but I'm not so sure. Jeans produced a heap too, obviously. Plus quite a few of his St. Kilda players went on to coach. And he coached a year at Richmond too, which would add at least one (Matthew Knights) to his list.

Barassi and Smith must also be in the mix.

Does anyone have a definitive list of next-gen coaches? Sounds like a job for Ron The Bear. I'll just go and activate the signal.
8 coaches in that team is impressive. Dermie was once considered a good candidate as a coach; cohld have been 9 if he gave up the media.

North's 1995 list https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/1995/north-melbourne
Has Clarkson, Longmire, Simpson as premiership coaches. Dean Laidley and Darren Crocker have coached at North. John Blakey has been a long time assistant, and pretty sure Anthony Rock did TAC cup, David King assistant at Richmond, and Brett Allison was at?Melbourne. If only North could have gotten one of those premiership coaches back for 2020.

The US does a lot of coaching trees in the NFL... Bill Walsh, Bellichek etc have a strong legacy.

8 coaches in that team is impressive. Dermie was once considered a good candidate as a coach; cohld have been 9 if he gave up the media.

North's 1995 list https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/1995/north-melbourne
Has Clarkson, Longmire, Simpson as premiership coaches. Dean Laidley and Darren Crocker have coached at North. John Blakey has been a long time assistant, and pretty sure Anthony Rock did TAC cup, David King assistant at Richmond, and Brett Allison was at?Melbourne. If only North could have gotten one of those premiership coaches back for 2020.

The US does a lot of coaching trees in the NFL... Bill Walsh, Bellichek etc have a strong legacy.
Dermie would be a terrible coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back