Cleveland Cavaliers - Wine & Gold bby

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to know exactly what happened though and how you can end up trading a contracted player like Kyrie when the other star can walk at the end of the year anyway? WHy would you not tell Kyrie stiff s**t, sit out for a year we have you for two anyway and play the game of chicken?

Who knows, trouble is why trade for him if you are the lakers or whoever when you just get him for nothing in the off season.

Also imagine the backlash if you were the owner who traded him away, then you look the bad guy and the person who crippled the team and the economy, wont ever get full value for him.

I think if you have a guy this good you probably hold onto hope you can get him to stay

Unless Lebron takes a paycut his options are limited, maybe he stays..... I would say his legacy looks better if he stays, but modern NBA players dont give 2 shits about that

Sure you are going to take a public relations hit in the short run. But the thing is, Lebron left us on the hook last time. People remember that. I would have taken the offensive prior to the start of the season. Either sign a deal/commit to a deal or I have to do what is best for the name on the front of the jersey.

He is a superb talent and still plays at an elite level---but letting him hold the franchise hostage a second time around is a failure of Ownership.

I would like to know exactly what happened though and how you can end up trading a contracted player like Kyrie when the other star can walk at the end of the year anyway? WHy would you not tell Kyrie stiff s**t, sit out for a year we have you for two anyway and play the game of chicken?

Lebron wanted him gone. Simple as that.

Sure you are going to take a public relations hit in the short run. But the thing is, Lebron left us on the hook last time. People remember that. I would have taken the offensive prior to the start of the season. Either sign a deal/commit to a deal or I have to do what is best for the name on the front of the jersey.

He is a superb talent and still plays at an elite level---but letting him hold the franchise hostage a second time around is a failure of Ownership.

Oh dont disagree with the logic, but guess at the end of the day is it Lebron for a year and hope he stays or trade him (presuming he agrees) for a bag of chips, because again he would have to agree and basically pick where he goes which limits the return, so trade him to the lakers and get what? Luol Deng back? and maybe nance and clarkson

well if that was honestly the case then you take Kyries side surely...

I take the side what is in the teams best interests. If Lebron won't commit and I have Kyrie locked up for 2, then Lebron goes. It would have taken major stones by Gilbert, so it was never likely he would do anything other than get rid of Kyrie.

Gifting him to Celtics is a whole other screwup altogether.

Oh dont disagree with the logic, but guess at the end of the day is it Lebron for a year and hope he stays or trade him (presuming he agrees) for a bag of chips, because again he would have to agree and basically pick where he goes which limits the return, so trade him to the lakers and get what? Luol Deng back? and maybe nance and clarkson

I would have asked Lebron for a list of 4 teams.

I would have notified those teams that Lebron was to be had.

You leverage the teams against each other....LA, you don't want him....ok well Houston is on the other line, etc..

You can deal with multiple teams as the Cavaliers have to get pieces to fit around Kyrie to make the $$, picks and players work.

A deal can get done and I don't agree with the premise the Cavs would get nothing. Not if they played their hand correctly.

And if Lebron balked at agreeing to be dealt to 1 of 4 teams, I would tell him that was okay too. You can play out the season and do what you have to do---but Kyrie is not going anywhere and I will unload as much salary as I want. You will get us in the playoffs---but you will not win a title. Clock is ticking on your title chase.

Your call LBJ.

People won't give up a lot for a guy who if they wait 12 months, they can get for free. Also a guy unlikely to sign an extension, so they only get him for 12 months.

LeBron is the only guy that has made Cleveland relevant. He's going to be calling the shots. To treat him like you are saying to treat him would be a joke.

And just to be clear, I am not saying he is not an elite talent. Nor am I saying that what he did bring to Cleveland a couple years ago wasn't special.

He is and it was.

But, I straight up would have said we will not be doing a repeat of 2010. To steal a phrase....either your in or your out.

People won't give up a lot for a guy who if they wait 12 months, they can get for free. Also a guy unlikely to sign an extension, so they only get him for 12 months.

LeBron is the only guy that has made Cleveland relevant. He's going to be calling the shots. To treat him like you are saying to treat him would be a joke.

You are kidding yourself if teams would not trade for Lebron. It is always ALWAYS better to have him on your team then to take a chance in free agency.

Simply isn't true you could not get a return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are kidding yourself if teams would not trade for Lebron. It is always ALWAYS better to have him on your team then to take a chance in free agency.

Simply isn't true you could not get a return.

I'm not saying you couldn't get a return. But it's unlikely to be pushing for a championship. Which is what they thought they would have if they kept him.

I'm not saying you couldn't get a return. But it's unlikely to be pushing for a championship. Which is what they thought they would have if they kept him.

Well it goes back to error in Ownership. You have to recognize you would take a step back for a year. If you trade him to the West and you haven't strengthened Boston--really only Toronto is in the way.

Could you get to the Finals---ehh maybe. But yes, you are playing a longer game if you deal him prior to the season.

All reports I've read have been LeBron told the Cavs to bring Irving to training camp and he's work it out with him.

Reporters/people in the know in Cleveland will absolutely positively do nothing to cause Lebron to be "upset" for fear of "causing him to leave".

Truth will out itself in July. You can quote this post then and we will see.

Well it goes back to error in Ownership. You have to recognize you would take a step back for a year. If you trade him to the West and you haven't strengthened Boston--really only Toronto is in the way.

Could you get to the Finals---ehh maybe. But yes, you are playing a longer game if you deal him prior to the season.

Long games are so hit and miss in the NBA. Trade LeBron > Cavs end up sucking > Kyrie leaves in two years > Back in the draft.

You need to go with a good shot. With LeBron you have a good shot 90% of the time. Then there is the whole "bad PR". Then there is the whole drop in Cavs value by $200M.

And LeBron is still a 50/50 to resign anyway.

My main issue is watching a total repeat of 2010---hell might even be the same bounce out and tear off the jersey in the Garden scene.

I know Gilbert made his decision but I hate watching this all over again

Long games are so hit and miss in the NBA. Trade LeBron > Cavs end up sucking > Kyrie leaves in two years > Back in the draft.

You need to go with a good shot. With LeBron you have a good shot 90% of the time. Then there is the whole "bad PR". Then there is the whole drop in Cavs value by $200M.

And LeBron is still a 50/50 to resign anyway.

1) I don't think you can say Kyrie is gone in 2 if you hand him the team

2) You take the hit---again, if you lead with Cleveland I did not want a repeat of 2010 and Lebron wouldn't commit to this city--most understand. Some will not. Christ, some are going to blame Gilbert for "running him off" regardless. This reason should be bottom of list for an Owner worth a damn.

3) No Kyrie and No LBJ---yep. With Kyrie drops but not off the ledge.

4) To steal a Hawk Harrelson line from Chicago White Sox broadcasts: "He Gone"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back