News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

"The review will find that Teague will be retained (unless things really go pear shaped) and a change of the majority of assistants is needed come end of year.

Aspects of the gameplan will also be tweaked"
I know you've mentioned previously that unless you're on the inside it's hard to gauge how good they are, but if there's a change of assistants, is there anyone you think might be worth a try. Not just AFL, but WAFL, SANFL etc?

Couldn’t possibly be retained … no basis for it that the eye can see …

No one is in the category of Teague should be retained, no matter what. GWS game was another example where Teague may have lost more support

I know you've mentioned previously that unless you're on the inside it's hard to gauge how good they are, but if there's a change of assistants, is there anyone you think might be worth a try. Not just AFL, but WAFL, SANFL etc?

Difficult in the current game. If replacing Teague, I believe the club will go for an experienced coach and that being the case, he will want his own team, which is a given

Just heard audio of boy's presser. Stats can be so misleading. I think it's time to smash the comfort of the stats bubble with this group.
Example: Crippa says he knows people are upset with the tackle count.however he says, the ground ball stats say we were in the contest. There was effort.
Hmmmmm.
How about throw away the bloody stat sheet and use your intelligent eyes.
Look. Intuitively look.
We all knew it was hopeless...that we were NOT in it. And yet we get this.
Enough is freaking well enough.
It IS broken so fix it.

Just heard audio of boy's presser. Stats can be so misleading. I think it's time to smash the comfort of the stats bubble with this group.
Example: Crippa says he knows people are upset with the tackle count.however he says, the ground ball stats say we were in the contest. There was effort.
Hmmmmm.
Look. Intuitively look.
It IS broken so fix it.
What is annoying is how we piled on 4 goals in the space of a few minutes and everyone was up and running and being creative, then like someone pulled a switch, everyone went back to sleep. It has happened so many times this year. I just don't understand how you can go from so positive, pro-active and confident to unsure, not wanting to pick up a loose man or block a hole or run??

since when?

since when?

3v6wd.gif

Hmmmmm.
Look. Intuitively look.
It IS broken so fix it.
I prefer the "eye test" Crippa!

What is annoying is how we piled on 4 goals in the space of a few minutes and everyone was up and running and being creative, then like someone pulled a switch, everyone went back to sleep. It has happened so many times this year. I just don't understand how you can go from so positive, pro-active and confident to unsure, not wanting to pick up a loose man or block a hole or run??

Think someone in the gameday thread nailed it (apologies, I can't remember who, but they'll probably put their hand up here) when they said that our runs of goals aren't necessarily down to our team suddenly "getting it right", but just as likely to be the opposition switching off for a few minutes because they've piled on a big lead. Carlton suddenly look better, then the opposition switch back on and our ball movement goes to s**t.

Buckley or Lyon for me.
Bucks has said he is pies man thru and thru , and you want him at the blues !!
Mcguane and malthouse came and how did those disasters work out ??

Ross Lyon or Brad Scott is a starting point that it will intimidation to our playing group and there won’t be any small steps

if Lyon can make Zac Dawson ,gwilt , Ryan Crowley , Micheal Walters into players, I could only imagine what he would do with our list

he would definitely weed out the ones that just want a pay check and be content to be on our afl list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think that the first question any review would want to address is whether the glaring problem is the head coach (and just because he's really well liked doesn't discount that option.)

Regardless of the answer to that question, you move onto examining other areas after this.

If the head coach does need replacing then the earlier you identify it, the more market options you are likely to have for a replacement. Additionally there will be more time to conduct an extensive selection process and the new coach will have longer to plan and get the house in order before the new-off season begins.

Last edited:
One thing we don’t need a review to tell us is we are rudderless and desperately need genuine football leadership.

In the spirit of Barassi - and even Hodge more recently for Brisbane - we should headhunt Cotchin to cross to Carlton and captain the squad for a year or two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keep Teague. Bring in a couple senior assistants.
We are going backwards, what is going to be different with the game style, if you look at most of KPI in terms of geninue effort to apply pressure to the opposition we are so far off the pace, most opposition goals are like a training drill.

Keep Teague. Bring in a couple senior assistants.

why should Teague stay? Since Rd 1 2020, what aspect of our play has definitively improved that we can point to as a result of coaching rather than recruitment or individual improvement/maturation?

pablito, I’m quoting your post but the question is open to anyone who thinks Teague should remain coach.

I am not being a smartarse, I’m genuinely interested to hear and see what people believe is working and supports him staying on.

One thing we don’t need a review to tell us is we are rudderless and desperately need genuine football leadership.

In the spirit of Barassi - and even Hodge more recently for Brisbane - we should headhunt Cotchin to cross to Carlton and captain the squad for a year or two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And get his great mate Kreuzer to come out of retirement for those two years to play along side him.

We are going backwards, what is going to be different with the game style, if you look at most of KPI in terms of geninue effort to apply pressure to the opposition we are so far off the pace, most opposition goals are like a training drill.
why should Teague stay? Since Rd 1 2020, what aspect of our play has definitively improved that we can point to as a result of coaching rather than recruitment or individual improvement/maturation?

pablito, I’m quoting your post but the question is open to anyone who thinks Teague should remain coach.

I am not being a smartarse, I’m genuinely interested to hear and see what people believe is working and supports him staying on.
No point sacking him, can't keep doing the same thing and expecting the whole club to change. The coach is one man. He's the 4th permanent one in 10 years. Nothings changed in 10 years. It'll just be history repeating itself.

Bring in Lyon or Clarkson in the head role and they'd be out the door in a few years.

Something else is needed, change thats harder and greater than just blaming 1 bloke, sacking him and thinking it's job done. Because if we do that we're going to be in the same position in a few years again.

And don’t say because the players like him and backed him in today’s train wreck of a press conference! What a disgrace that was …. Blah blah blah from all of the “leaders”

Teague is out of his depth and out of ideas…. Worst coach in press conferences I’ve ever heard speak and if that’s how it translates to the group it’s no wonder we are where we are! He’s an amateur presenter and public speaker and that’s what coaching is so how are we all surprised if we’re being honest. Listen to every other coach interact with the media and then listen to Teague.

The board needs to go too - they’re the ones who heard him present his philosophy and explain his philosophy and they gave him the job. Board is inept and along with Teague they need to go instead of being the part time sycophants that they are! At the end of the day it’s not Teagues fault but he’s not up to the job.

No point sacking him, can't keep doing the same thing and expecting the whole club to change. The coach is one man. He's the 4th permanent one in 10 years. Nothings changed in 10 years. It'll just be history repeating itself.

Bring in Lyon or Clarkson in the head role and they'd be out the door in a few years.

Something else is needed, change thats harder and greater than just blaming 1 bloke, sacking him and thinking it's job done. Because if we do that we're going to be in the same position in a few years again.
The past is irrelevant to the decision, we need to make the right decision, the list is in reasonable shape some tinkering in terms another quality midfielder but we are not doing all the intangibles that make a good team that work together.

l believe most people are of the view a major across the board shake up is required.

thanks for answering 👍🏻

to paraphrase your first point : I dont find an aversion to sacking coaches - while understandable - a valid reason for not doing so.

I don’t for a second believe the root of all woes is one person but at the same time he’s thereto do a job and I can’t for the life of me see how he’s doing it to an acceptable standard.

Disagree completely. Just because we’ve sacked coaches in the recent past doesn’t mean it’s not warranted this time.

The game plan is not working
The team is not playing together
There’s no structure in place which allows the team to defend competently at AFL level
Statistically we are pretty much bottom 4 in every category.

Read that again and let me know if you truly believe Teague who is a rabbit in the headlights at this point In time is the man to lead us out of this?

Ross Lyon or Clarko are the only coaches with the nous and aura that can lead us out of this mess. Good assistants will come if either of these coaches are given the job. No ones coming to work under Teague. No one who’s anyone is coming to work under this guy he’s a laughing stock at the moment. On fox footy they’re quite nice in how they say it but they very kindly say he’s out of his depth strategically - no assistant is coming to work under him.

The board is at fault from the first time i heard him talk I knew they cocked it up, there was no process or anything AFAIK - the tail wagged the dog the players wanted him the fans wanted him the Teague train was rolling and they gave him the job. There’s no chance he out pointed Voss in a presentation on football and discussing the game … no chance in the world … you just listen to him try and explain what we’re doing and you know there was no process it was all marketing.!

The past is irrelevant to the decision, we need to make the right decision, the list is in reasonable shape some tinkering in terms another quality midfielder but we are not doing all the intangibles that make a good team that work together.

l believe most people are of the view a major across the board shake up is required.
Nah disagree. Learn from the mistakes of the past and apply the lessons to future decision-making.

Back him in, surround him with senior support who have been to the top and know what it takes to succeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back