List Clubs named after workplaces

Remove this Banner Ad

The VAFA had many company teams over the years
http://www.vafa.com.au/history/vafa-clubs-1892-2015/previous-vafa-clubs/

SPC played in the Goulburn Valley Football League (Not sure on the time frame)

Melbourne had a Railways League and a Tramways league. There was also a strong Police League in the 1930's (Police museum has photos)
The Saturday Morning Industrial League and Wednesday Leagues had many good players in the 1930's and the companies could require their employees in the SMIL rather than the VFA, or some players played two games in the same day.

Many Collingwood players played with the local Victoria Brewery team in the 30's. Melbourne had a connection to Millers Ropeworks in the Sunday league in the 1950's. A photo at http://www.boylesfootballphotos.net.au/Millers+Sunday+League+Team+c1954+(SLV+122_210+v1)

I can understand why the big railyards were able to field teams in local competitions for long periods.
I think the VAFA experience shows that workplace teams have existed during many eras.

A lot of the country towns had a fire brigade team. The first year of the Horsham District FL had a team call Armoured Car.
OMFL had Hume Weir (construction crew) and Excelsior (a pub team) .
Korumburra butter factory, (Longlife Social Club in Bacchus Marsh FL),
INF , Metro Farm & Services in Werribee FL.
Sea Scouts in Geelong
6th Scouts in Footscray DFL.

The Melbourne Mid-Week league featured mostly district police teams like Western, Eastern, Prahran and the MFB. Very intense rivalry with some good biffo whilst several crooks, unaware of what they were watching as spectators, were arrested whilst the games were temporarily halted. Finals were always well attended. League folded around the year 2000 I think, mainly related to Workers Compensation concerns.

There was an entire league that was devoted to workplace teams in the '20s and '30s. The Saturday Morning Industrial League featured teams from all the main breweries (Abbotsford, Carlton, Victoria), as well as from other large companies such as Dunlop, General Motors-Holden and Laygols. This was a reasonably big deal at times, with some matches being played at league and association grounds and attracting decent crowds.

I played with the State Bank FC from 1987-1989. The club colours were black with a yellow logo in '87. The Bank had a major corporate branding change in '88 which involved a change in the corporate colours. As a result, the football club changed its jumpers to white with a royal blue yoke in 1988. We played against GTV-9 at their ground in Port Melbourne in '89. Can't remember what jumpers they wore, but I still recall their sniping red-headed ruckman who broke my teammate's nose and snapped my knee. This was in H Grade, which was about the lowest standard of football imaginable.

Must of got kicked off Burnley Park or the old Studios Park as it was called for a time.

In the video clip I mentioned in my earlier post, the GTV-9 team wore white jumpers with the famous dots from the Nine logo in black.

Also, you'd think GTV-9 would have played at a ground in Richmond...

Ahead of their time with clash guernseys, they did wear Richmond colours for a time and then dropped the sash and had nine yellow dots with what could be described as between Black and Navy Blue.

As I said before, I remember them being at Burnley park where the Rosellas played.

The premiers in the NTFL in 1921/22 were Vesteys, named after the owners of the Wave Hill cattle station.

WA Sunday clubs named after workplaces included
Boans (Department store)
Bunnings
Chamberlains
Daily News
Foys
Houghton (Car sales or wine)
MTT (Public Transport)
Movies
PWD (Perth Water Department)
Sandovers
SEC (State Energy Commission)
Sunday Times
Swan Taxis
Vickers Hoskins
Wesfarmers
Winterbottoms

The Victorian Railways had it's own league:

Melbourne Yard
Sunshine VRI
Tottenham Yard
RIO's (railway coppers)

Plenty of great names in that league including
Car & Wagon Shops
Coburg-Essendon-Williamstown Lines (among many other names)
Melbourne Goods
North Melbourne Locomotive Shops
Reservoir-Heidelberg Lines

This league kept chugging up until the late nineties and was one of many workplace competitions held in Melbourne, such as the Tramways FA, Drapers FA, Police FA, Wednesday FL, Industrial FL, and the Post-Tel Institute FL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Melbourne Mid-Week league featured mostly district police teams like Western, Eastern, Prahran and the MFB. Very intense rivalry with some good biffo whilst several crooks, unaware of what they were watching as spectators, were arrested whilst the games were temporarily halted. Finals were always well attended. League folded around the year 2000 I think, mainly related to Workers Compensation concerns.

Not much info around about this, but there was a similar league in the 1920s it appears

It's still very common today to see clubs called Railways around the country, specifically in the country leagues.

But at the start of Australian Rules, lots of clubs originated from jobs. Names and players were drawn from their industry. Quite often these sides struggled to get past the wars or else changed their name. These days it's a rarity to find a club with a name like this.

I'm wondering if there's a decent resource of clubs who used to exist, exist, or changed their names who originally had this sort of name. I remember a few but I can't find them at the moment. League names would be appreciated too, as quite often competitions and associations were drawn up of workplace teams.

Thanks.
I'm wondering if there's a decent resource of clubs who used to exist, exist, or changed their names who originally had this sort of name. I remember a few but I can't find them at the moment. League names would be appreciated too, as quite often competitions and associations were drawn up of workplace teams.

Ballarat Cricket Association still has teams named:

Victorian Railways Industries (VRI)
Fire Brigade
Lucas (was a large but not defunct textile manufacturer, huge employer in the town)

I don't think any of the clubs/teams still have a real affiliation to the industries or businesses that they originated from.

742038 742039

Patience and Nicholson played in the Maryborough DFL late 1930's to late 1940s. They later became the official reserve grade team for Maryborough in the Ballarat Football League.

Last edited:
anyone heard of Denzil Don Football club Denzil Don made leather goods such as footy forty boots

i have a badge with red white and blue leather ribbons attached
I was hoping its footscray

There was an entire league that was devoted to workplace teams in the '20s and '30s. The Saturday Morning Industrial League featured teams from all the main breweries (Abbotsford, Carlton, Victoria), as well as from other large companies such as Dunlop, General Motors-Holden and Laygols. This was a reasonably big deal at times, with some matches being played at league and association grounds and attracting decent crowds.

I played with the State Bank FC from 1987-1989. The club colours were black with a yellow logo in '87. The Bank had a major corporate branding change in '88 which involved a change in the corporate colours. As a result, the football club changed its jumpers to white with a royal blue yoke in 1988. We played against GTV-9 at their ground in Port Melbourne in '89. Can't remember what jumpers they wore, but I still recall their sniping red-headed ruckman who broke my teammate's nose and snapped my knee. This was in H Grade, which was about the lowest standard of football imaginable.
There was also a Wednesday industrial league in tne 1930's. I remember Jack Dyer talking about it and how the extra money came in handy during the Depression.
The Warehouseman's club was around in the mid 1860's and played all the teams including Melbourne, Geelong and Carlton. Their ground was called the Warehousemans Ground which is now named the Albert Ground in St.Kilda Rd. There was also a Civil Service (public servants) club in the early 1860's which H.C.A. Harrison also played with.

Just been doing an allnighter on Trove and apparently there were two of them! A Wednesday Industrial league and a Saturday Morning Industrial league.

These clubs you mentioned, at least Dunlop and Laygols, were in the Saturday comp. Both won flags. And yeah they seemed to play on serious venues for H&Hs, but not necessarily attached to one ground as a "home" ground. There were references to Victoria Park, "the Port Melbourne ground" (Barnet Glass, Burtru, Dunlop), "the Fitzroy ground" (Laygols played a lot of games there), "the Carlton ground" and Richmond City Reserve (dunno where that is but apparently its where Richmond (VFA) were playing, does that means its PRO?) - Victoria Brewery, Carlton Brewery and Havelock seemed to like playing at Richmond.

I remember Jack Dyer on World of Sport talking about the mid week league, and how during the Great Depression it helped keep food on the table.
So I suppose payment of some kind was involved.
I believe Richmond Reserve (now Citizens Park) is behind the Richmond Town Hall.
Carlton once played a home game there in 1896 when the University ground was unavailable.

I remember Jack Dyer on World of Sport talking about the mid week league, and how during the Great Depression it helped keep food on the table.
So I suppose payment of some kind was involved.
I believe Richmond Reserve (now Citizens Park) is behind the Richmond Town Hall.
Carlton once played a home game there in 1896 when the University ground was unavailable.
I know Citizens Park, but I'm flabbergasted Carlton played a game there in the past! I am not sure if it's meant to be the same venue as Richmond City Reserve. Unless VFA Richmond were playing there regularly.

Hello old friend! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back