Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Hi guys

Thought it'd be interesting to compile a list of coaches who didn't play at the highest level.

I've made a start below, please post those who I've overlooked and I'll add them to the OP.

Cheers

John Todd, West Coast: 1988-1989

Col Kinnear, Sydney: 1989-1991

John Cahill, Port Adelaide: 1997-1998

Wayne Brittain, Carlton: 2001-2002

Neil Craig, Adelaide: 2004-2011

Brendan McCartney, Western Bulldogs: 2012-2014

Brendon Bolton, Carlton: 2016-2019

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thought it'd be interesting to compile a list of coaches who didn't play at the highest level.

I've made a start below, please post those who I've overlooked and I'll add them to the OP.

Cheers

John Todd, West Coast: 1988-1989

John Cahill, Port Adelaide: 1997-1998

Wayne Brittain, Carlton: 2001-2002

Neil Craig, Adelaide: 2004-2011

Brendan McCartney, Western Bulldogs: 2012-2014

Phil Walsh, Adelaide: 2015

Brendon Bolton, Carlton: 2016-2019

Interesting concept, but a few things worth pointing out.

Highest level is an interesting discussion point. Not wanting to open that can of worms, but Phil Walsh did play ~100 games of VFL Football in the 1980's.

People like John Todd, John Cahill, and throw in Graham Cornes as an honourable mention (5 VFL games) had extensive playing and coaching history in their home states. Neil Craig played over 300 SANFL games in the 80's and was a state captain.

John Cahill also coached Collingwood in 1983-1984. Perhaps the first VFL coach recruited from outside Victoria?

So rule a line under all this.

The other three, Brittain, Bolton and McCartney is more of an interesting place to start from. The career progression of these three coaches is something I thought we would see more of going forward with the ever increasing coaches boxes, until the virus put the kibosh on all that.

Highest level is an interesting discussion point. Not wanting to open that can of worms, but Phil Walsh did play ~100 games of VFL Football in the 1980's.

People like John Todd, John Cahill, and throw in Graham Cornes as an honourable mention (5 VFL games) had extensive playing and coaching history in their home states. Neil Craig played over 300 SANFL games in the 80's and was a state captain.

My apologies re Walsh, I didn't know that but I've since corrected it.

Great point re Todd, Cahill et al. Although a not a coach, Cometti didn't play in the national league, but had a decorated career for West Perth in the WAFL.

My apologies re Walsh, I didn't know that but I've since corrected it.

Great point re Todd, Cahill et al. Although a not a coach, Cometti didn't play in the national league, but had a decorated career for West Perth in the WAFL.

Guilding the lily a bit with Cometti. Yep he could play, but he was no Dempsey / Whinnen, not too sure what he was decorated with. He played Reserves footy at Footscray.

Todd is a legend, won a Sandover Medal at 17 / 18. He could play ( State Footy with buggered knee ) and coach ( mad bugger with some of his ideas ). Walks on water in Black Ducks territory, except when Ronnie Boucher is on the scene !!!.

Col Kinnear! Highest level of footy was in the Ammos for Old Uni High. Recruited to coach Coburg 2s from there, then Coburg seniors to a flag. Then coached the 2s at North, then the blues. Got the top job at the swans in 1989, pretty amazing ascent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back