collard is the only surprise

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
In all the musings over keeping Pettifer over Goo or Meyer ...none of that makes any sense...EVERY player needs to assessed on their OWN merits...Gou, Meyer and Casserley spoke for themselves in terms of performance...I would seriously doubt any will lob anywhere on a primary list, at best rookie...However Collards axing suprises me ...he killed it when playing in the thirds as you'd expect and then when elevated to VFL seniors featured in the best on a few occassions. i would have thought ticked all the right boxes and am very surprised we have cut our losses after 1 season:confused:

meyer was a bit of a suprise for me. i knew there was a chance he would have gotten delisted but i didnt think he would.

meyer was a bit of a suprise for me. i knew there was a chance he would have gotten delisted but i didnt think he would.

yes and No, was on the list for 4 years and all he had to show for it was a few promising ressies games late this year...Not an awful lot to go on building a case around occupying a precious spot on a list:confused:

In all the musings over keeping Pettifer over Goo or Meyer ...none of that makes any sense...EVERY player needs to assessed on their OWN merits...Gou, Meyer and Casserley spoke for themselves in terms of performance...I would seriously doubt any will lob anywhere on a primary list, at best rookie...However Collards axing suprises me ...he killed it when playing in the thirds as you'd expect and then when elevated to VFL seniors featured in the best on a few occassions. i would have thought ticked all the right boxes and am very surprised we have cut our losses after 1 season:confused:
I think Collard showed he wasn't committed enough. But I'm still not content about the Goo. You say his performances spoke for themselves but the whole idea of him is that he was a project player, and you don't delist project players after one season just because their form isn't great. No-one would have expected him to tear it up this year. There's gotta be more to it.

I think Collard showed he wasn't committed enough. But I'm still not content about the Goo. You say his performances spoke for themselves but the whole idea of him is that he was a project player, and you don't delist project players after one season just because their form isn't great. No-one would have expected him to tear it up this year. There's gotta be more to it.

there prob was, the personal baggage wouldnt help sustain the luxury of a spot on a AFL club list...sad but true:confused:

at the coburg box hill game gourdis was behind me in the line to the canteen and all he was talkin about was the skanky coburg blondes and other players missus's at the club eg sarges. seemed to me he only one thing on hes mind.

he killed it bc of his class, however always looked extremely lazy, barely broke into more than a slow shuffle off the ball.

doesnt have the work ethic or heart to be a player, shame bc he has the talent.

good riddance

meyer i thought was showing something at coburg in the 2nd half of the season and wouldnt have minded giving him one more year. gourdis its a shame but ill back the club on this as we dont know what the full story is.

not happy with the cull though several more shouldve gone

at the coburg box hill game gourdis was behind me in the line to the canteen and all he was talkin about was the skanky coburg blondes and other players missus's at the club eg sarges. seemed to me he only one thing on hes mind.

Have you seen the girlfriends of most AFL players?! :eek:

Any 18yo male would say the same thing!

yes and No, was on the list for 4 years and all he had to show for it was a few promising ressies games late this year...Not an awful lot to go on building a case around occupying a precious spot on a list:confused:
I don't get it Bo, you say a few promising games in the ressies not a strong case for occupying a spot on a list, but suggest in the OP that Collard should have stayed because he had a few strong games in the ressies to end the season.

However Collards axing suprises me ...he killed it when playing in the thirds as you'd expect and then when elevated to VFL seniors featured in the best on a few occassions. i would have thought ticked all the right boxes and am very surprised we have cut our losses after 1 season:confused:

Considering Meyer had an fairly serious injury as a reason he struggled for the first 3 years at the club, it could be argued that neither of them did enough this year to warrant either of them staying on a list.

From what I have heard, neither of them really put in the sort of effort required to be on an AFL list. If Collard was as dominate as you suggest playing thirds then why did it take him so long to get elevated up to Coburgs senior side? Form obviously wasn't the problem, perhaps fitness was.

The ultimatum was layed down, Collard was told he basically could not afford an "off-season" and to train over the summer. Hes come back overweight and unfit and I guess the axing is a result of this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I have heard, neither of them really put in the sort of effort required to be on an AFL list. If Collard was as dominate as you suggest playing thirds then why did it take him so long to get elevated up to Coburgs senior side? Form obviously wasn't the problem, perhaps fitness was.

collard was with us for 12 mths and from all reports arrived a long way off the pace...for that reason he was played in the thirds where he killed it and despite not being elevated to senior VFL earlier, he continued to be prominent ea week...was only late in the season he played burger seniors where once again he began to feature...To me he showed sure signs and geunine progress...Meyer case was nothing like it...In the whole time at tigerland Meyer would have featured amongst best players less than 10 times I would say....I tellya this is an important indicator and more than likely saved JON who would have been in the best in at least half the games he played

collard was with us for 12 mths and from all reports arrived a long way off the pace...for that reason he was played in the thirds where he killed it and despite not being elevated to senior VFL earlier, he continued to be prominent ea week...was only late in the season he played burger seniors where once again he began to feature...To me he showed sure signs and geunine progress...Meyer case was nothing like it...In the whole time at tigerland Meyer would have featured amongst best players less than 10 times I would say....I tellya this is an important indicator and more than likely saved JON who would have been in the best in at least half the games he played
Doesn't matter how long the player was with us, what matters is how they went about proving they wanted to be there. As I said Meyer had been suffering with a hip injury for the first few years he was at the club, only had it diagnosed and treated properly this time last year. That being the case he only really had this year to show he wanted to be part of it. Unfortunately he either couldn't or chose not to put in the effort required.

Collard was flicked by the Dockers after 1 season and was given a second chance by us. Despite having the talent he also chose not to put in the effort required to be an AFL footballer and seemed more than happy being a big fish in a little pond, playing Coburg seconds for most of the year, where his talent made up for his lack of fitness.

That being the case with both of them I am glad they are gone. This club is on the verge of something special and needs everyone to be pulling their weight, Collard and Meyer didn't.

he played good in VFL reserves so why would we want him on your list if he struggles to get a game at Coburg seniors what chance has he got of playing at AFL level?

Doesn't matter how long the player was with us, what matters is how they went about proving they wanted to be there. As I said Meyer had been suffering with a hip injury for the first few years he was at the club, only had it diagnosed and treated properly this time last year. That being the case he only really had this year to show he wanted to be part of it. Unfortunately he either couldn't or chose not to put in the effort required.

Collard was flicked by the Dockers after 1 season and was given a second chance by us. Despite having the talent he also chose not to put in the effort required to be an AFL footballer and seemed more than happy being a big fish in a little pond, playing Coburg seconds for most of the year, where his talent made up for his lack of fitness.

That being the case with both of them I am glad they are gone. This club is on the verge of something special and needs everyone to be pulling their weight, Collard and Meyer didn't.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back