List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You can see it. The best of Mitchell is as good as ever, but the baseline is dropping away even 12 months into his time at the club an average day for him is down on what it was. I’m also not sure we’re getting the best as often. He’ll get through 2024 and might make it part of the way through 2025, but Wade will have to be Dumbledore to get him through all of 2025 at the current rate of decline.
as you now probably kno w : ..." An on-going foot issue means that midfielder Tom Mitchell will also be assessed ahead of Friday night’s clash. The ongoing plantar fasciitis issue has been managed well across the past nine to 10 weeks" ... so the " current rate of decline" is nothing to do with form, in fact his output has been great considering the above...

I wouldn’t be knocking back a potentially elite ruck cause they have no track record forward - like looking a gift horse in the mouth

I saw him take a mark inside 50 when he played as a 18 year old for Collingwood VFL.

And took 7 marks yesterday…

What’s more Cameron can rest forward
If he can mark the footy sign him up

Generally, the types of guys you're talking about have had injury issues (like both Fin and Reef have). Connor Stone (GWS), McAsey (Crows) and Zach Reid (Bombers) come to mind.

But there are others. Connor Stevens can't get a game at Hawthorn. Blake Coleman can't get a game at Brisbane. Alex Davies is struggling to crack the GCS senior line-up. Wil Philips and DGB seem to be on the outer at North and Hawks respectively. There are lots of kids on the fringes of senior teams. The trick is finding the gems amongst them and convincing them to come to the Pies.

I've heard of some of them, but wouldn't know if they'd be worth paying a 2nd round pick as I haven't seen then play. Pretty sure Blake Coleman got delisted - so not worth a second round pick. Is Connor Stevens the one who was part of the Ollie deal? - that part of it wasn't a viewed as a second round pick. Phillips and DGB's prices would be interesting - I think we ight find out sooner rather than later.

Finn hasn't had much in the way of injuries. He missed a fair bot of a preseason, but this will be his fourth year where he's been available most weeks.

Generally, the types of guys you're talking about have had injury issues (like both Fin and Reef have). Connor Stone (GWS), McAsey (Crows) and Zach Reid (Bombers) come to mind.

But there are others. Connor Stevens can't get a game at Hawthorn. Blake Coleman can't get a game at Brisbane. Alex Davies is struggling to crack the GCS senior line-up. Wil Philips and DGB seem to be on the outer at North and Hawks respectively. There are lots of kids on the fringes of senior teams. The trick is finding the gems amongst them and convincing them to come to the Pies.
Unless we can guarantee game time, Stone and Reid won't move.

Cooper Stephens at Hawthorn has moved from Geelong and still looks average.

Blake Coleman was delisted from Brisbane at the end of last year and is nothing special at Williamstown. We could have had him for free.

Alex Davies is young and might be an option.

Wil Phillips struggled with injury and looked equally average at North bar a few games.

Grainger-Barras is better as a forward than a defender but Hawthorn now realise they did not draft a star KPP.

Blake Coleman was delisted from Brisbane at the end of last year and is nothing special at Williamstown. We could have had him for free.

Wil Phillips struggled with injury and looked equally average at North bar a few games.

Grainger-Barras is better as a forward than a defender but Hawthorn now realise they did not draft a star KPP.
I think you might be omnipresent, only Fat Jesus has that ability

We got this bloke called Bobby Hill after 4 years of being in and out of the Giants side for a second round pick, worked out quite well.
Bobby Hill wasn’t playing reserves in his 4th year though. He was entrenched in the best 22 at that point but testicular cancer key him out.

as you now probably kno w : ..." An on-going foot issue means that midfielder Tom Mitchell will also be assessed ahead of Friday night’s clash. The ongoing plantar fasciitis issue has been managed well across the past nine to 10 weeks" ... so the " current rate of decline" is nothing to do with form, in fact his output has been great considering the above...
Read the discussion line… Hot tip pay extra attention to the physical demands of his role!

Was in response to "in and out of the side", if you're not playing you're out of the side, it's just an incontrovertible fact.
Funny comparison considering the other two aren’t even in and out of the side…

Was in response to "in and out of the side", if you're not playing you're out of the side, it's just a incontrovertible fact.
Nice try, but it was actually in response to this quote from me:

If they asked to be traded we wouldn't get better unless they play good senior footy during the rest of the year. Can you think of a 4th year bloke playing reserves that you'd want the pies to pay a second round selection for?

Things may change by the end of the year, but:

It's all a bit moot for Macrae. We've signed Macrae for next year and he's unlikely to be chased by another club and thus unlikely to request a trade.

Who knows if there's interest in Reef or if he'll look around. I'd assume that we'll offer him another contract.

There’s something there with Davies, but he looks like a current McInnes type that shows enough to stay on a list for 6 years or so without ever really nailing a spot in a best 23. He’s definitely one I’d only be throwing a 50+ pick at and would be conscious of tying up a list spot for 2+ years with minimal return.

I like REID - if he passes a medical I'd be backing Wade to get him over his injury issues.
He's a huge talent and could come cheap given his history.

There’s something there with Davies, but he looks like a current McInnes type that shows enough to stay on a list for 6 years or so without ever really nailing a spot in a best 23. He’s definitely one I’d only be throwing a 50+ pick at and would be conscious of tying up a list spot for 2+ years with minimal return.
Davies playing in a position that has the likes of Rowell. Anderson. Miller. Now you add in Graham. With Humphrey will play in the middle sometimes.
Just hard for him to get a crack in there. And they're all young too. Nobody thats retiring soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like REID - if he passes a medical I'd be backing Wade to get him over his injury issues.
He's a huge talent and could come cheap given his history.
Essendon would be keen to hold on to him I would imagine. Sometimes it's disheartening seeing the tall talent on quite a few AFL lists

I've heard of some of them, but wouldn't know if they'd be worth paying a 2nd round pick as I haven't seen then play. Pretty sure Blake Coleman got delisted - so not worth a second round pick. Is Connor Stevens the one who was part of the Ollie deal? - that part of it wasn't a viewed as a second round pick. Phillips and DGB's prices would be interesting - I think we ight find out sooner rather than later.

Finn hasn't had much in the way of injuries. He missed a fair bot of a preseason, but this will be his fourth year where he's been available most weeks.

Finn was back last preseason, untimely hammies the year before from memory.

"Who Replaces Nathan Murphy"

Last edited:

I’m just listing names off the top of my head in response to a line of discussion. There’ll be others. These are the types we should be heavily exploring in terms of trade targets.

Davies playing in a position that has the likes of Rowell. Anderson. Miller. Now you add in Graham. With Humphrey will play in the middle sometimes.
Just hard for him to get a crack in there. And they're all young too. Nobody thats retiring soon.
I agree it’s tough at GC in that space, but I don’t think he’s done enough in the 20 odd games he’s had for them, or anyone else really, to suggest he’s a long term midfielder of the competition. Basically he’s speculative until he makes it from here and I’d get the “why” of us chasing him I just wouldn’t be holding my breath.

I’m just listing names off the top of my head in response to a line of discussion. There’ll be others. These are the types we should be heavily exploring in terms of trade targets.
It'd be interesting to see whether the late bloomers tend to come from early picks like the guys you mentioned - or from late picks. I suspect it'd be more often the latter.

Weitering as a #1 pick is not too dissimilar to Marc Murphy and Kreuzer as #1 picks. Quality 200-300 game players but not the best player in their draft nor the best players in their position. Their type of talent/output can ultimately be found with later draft picks.
If you’re going to be comparing Weitering to Marc Murphy in terms of ability, impact or positional value, I think we can just agree to disagree and move on.

Kreuzer was cruelled by injuries and we never saw his best. I think the league has moved on from spending #1 picks on ruckmen anyway.

It'd be interesting to see whether the late bloomers tend to come from early picks like the guys you mentioned - or from late picks. I suspect it'd be more often the latter.

I suspect you’re right.

I’d just be looking at those that are starved of opportunity but look like they are playing above the level at VFL and in a position of real need. For me the two that stand out are Moyle and then Max Gruzewski at the Giants.

You’re always looking for top end talent so that’s where Bailey Smith comes in.

Then role players potentially open to returning to VIC. If our defenders look short eg we have concerns on Dean and Eyre then I’m looking at someone like Worrell at the Crows.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Funny comparison considering the other two aren’t even in and out of the side…
You're they guy who thinks Paddy Dow the 7 years in the system yet to establish himself and at his second club is better than Finn & Reef. I'm surprised you're still showing your face after that howler and it was a howler, let's be honest and a real credibility killer.

When I say a worthy #1 pick, I mean you'd generally hope they end up at least top 3 in their draft and becomes a multiple AA in their position. Weitering as a #1 pick is not too dissimilar to Marc Murphy and Kreuzer as #1 picks. Quality 200-300 game players but not the best player in their draft nor the best players in their position. Their type of talent/output can ultimately be found with later draft picks. I could be wrong and he could still end up getting there by the end of his career, but I'd much rather Curnow/Mckay just from Carlton's 2015 draft at this stage of their careers.
To me thats an unrealistic expectation. To say with 1 pick, even though its no 1, you want a top 3 player means that 1 pick is pitted against maybe 60-80 other picks depending on the year. Odds are stacked against you achieving your aim.

Even to use multiple AAs alone as the criteria for a worthy no 1 pick means there have only been 5 worthy no 1 picks out of the 40+ taken since 1981. Reiwoldt, Hodge, Delidio, Goddard and Gaspar. Not much better than a 10% hit rate. MURPHY, Delidio, Reiwolt, Cooney and Goddard probably the ones that make top 3 in their draft, few weak years there though.

Mark Murphy was a great no 1. At this point in time out of that 40+ only Hodge and Reiwoldt stand clearly above him. If you were offered a guarantee your no pick would play 300 games, win 2 B&Fs, win an AFLCA best players, captain for 6 seasons and have an AA and AA squad to their name you would take it without hesitation.

Weitering after 160 + games, 4x AA squad and 2 x B&F is a gun and a superior no 1 pick. He will go down as one of the very best

No 1 pick is clearly on the data the best pick. They play way more games than any other pick and win more accolades. However you need to be realistic with how much you can expect. 156 games on average as it stands now. A good one and you get a 200 game player who has a record of being an A grade player.

Top 3 in the year and mult AAs you have hit the jackpot. Murphy v close.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back