Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee I might know something?

Phillips great runner gets the ball ( contested)

Langdon the third intercept marker who?

Treleor 34 disposals lol

De goey underdone
Howe underdone
Crispy great game and took it on but rusty

Mayne cox are warriors

IMO outs
Brown checkers
Ins
Wills seir

You might but bloody near impossible to distil from your nonsensical 2-3-4 word (what I assume are meant to be) sentences.

Some extraordinary melts and over-reactions in this thread.

Crisp was as rusty as i've ever seen, Howe & De Goey not match fit yet, Treloar scrappy (more than usual), JT had a downer, Beams, Sidebottom & Stephenson lacked their usual impact, and we burnt the ball in the forward half.

YET we were in either in the game OR playing the game on our terms most of the day. Maybe Im a glass-half-full kind of guy - but I don't see these players mentioned having as little impact as they did today, into the future.

All I take from this is there is so much upside, no need to panic. IF and When we are playing this way come round 8, then I will start to worry. It is round 1... Take a deep breath and stop making such extreme predictions about the whole season.

You don't make finals/win GF's in round 1. You make finals/win grand finals off a complete body of work throughout an entire season.

Plus Moore looks like an A grade key back we need, Roughead slipped in nicely, and Elliott is back. If the rest of the team lifts to their regular standard, and these players are additions to that, we're only going to get better.

Sorry about the huge message, reading the melts about one game was driving me insane. Everyone chill out, and come and speak to me about our season when we have an actual idea of where we sit - around round 12.
Yep.

But you might have missed the memo, we lost by 70 points not 7 points.

I think we forgot the most basic things, good use of the ball, and good kicking for goal.

Disappointing. Actually the first live game I have been to in over 7 years.

Just real rusty, didn't handle the conditions well at all. Puts the pressure on big time straight away.

Not the end of the world though. It was a carbon copy of the last time we played them. Although last time we had injuries to blame.

Just makes winning one of the next two a non negotiable. If we are 0-3 top 4 is a big ask with the hard fixture we have.

I have been saying since the grand final 2019 won't be our year. We have too hard a draw and we didn't fix the weaknesses on our list.

Get an easier draw and another experienced KPP and 2020 is it.

Not saying I won't hope for the best and support the boys and hope they surprise me like last year, but my expectations are finals, hopefully sneak into top 4.

What are the weakness?

Would be great but suspect not the club's lot in life.

Let's just start with one flag thank you. That in itself will be brutally difficult to achieve.
In my lifetime I've seen 2 wins, 4 loses and 1 draw. Ignoring the draw 3-3 would have been a lot easier to digest (it would have been great seeing that early 2000s group get a flag), 4-2 would have been incredible.

Glad to be back, My tune don’t change. I think Nathan’s a dud and will never win a premiership as coach. Simple as that. I keep looking at games
And easily finding holes in his run and gun game plan. I watch documentaries on the WCE winning a flag and seeing Simpson destroy Nathan’s philosophy at every break. I see a more experienced and well accomplished coach dominate our mid field which they had no right in doing...

yet you guys wanna carrying on like last years lost was unlucky. Please What are we 13 and 3 or something with games under 6 points or less since 2014??

He’s an average coach that got lucky one year because he hires assistant coaches and Nick Maxwell to fix all the stuff he has no idea how to do.

Every swallow has a summer. And didn’t Nathan have a great summer last year. Tell me the amazing amount of head coaches that came from the Bucks coaching tree? None.

I guarantee this playing group won’t reach its potential, which was an easy win vs wce in 2018 and at least a 18-4 season and going back 2 back with beams slotting into the midfield.

But again, when have I ever been wrong... I told you in 2017 we needed to find our next premiership coach, and that Nathan wasn’t it.

You make the mistake of believing we actually care about what you think.
You did your dash last year sport - you are now irrelevant.

Far from the worst but had a shocker tonight. For an unaccountable outside player to go at around 60%DE is a disgrace. Those 2 missed shots on goal really hurt given they should be bread and butter.

There's no doubting Phillips' fitness and endurance, which is a credit to him. But the reality is that he is a terrible kick of the footy. He can't kick more than 40 metres. Most of his kicks are dinky little sideways chips, floaty up-and-unders, or outright shanks. O'Bree and Blair spring to mind as kicking comparisons.

My theory is that opposition coaches are happy for Phillips to run free because he panics and invariably turns it over, often in the worst possible situations/positions. In this era of fantasy footy, too much emphasis is put on disposal numbers. A player like Daniel Wells will do more good with 10 kicks than Phillips will do with 30.

Come finals time, I'd like to see Phillips, Brown, Aish, Mayne and Varcoe from last night's team all having been replaced by Adams, WHE, Sier, Wells and Sharenberg. That will be a Premiership-worthy team.

Last edited:
What are the weakness?

A lack of KPP defenders and forwards. We didn't need another midfielder. As much as I am happy to get Beams back I would have much preferred to get a big defender or a big forward.

Mason is tall but he isn't consistent enough. We will be lucky if he ever plays a game close to that prelim again in his career.
Our small forwards are good but go missing, when the midfield is struggling and can't kick to leads we struggle to score.

Darcy Moore is a potentially great defender but I still would like some backup or just straight up another big defender on the ground. And no I don't count Ben Reid as he will be lucky to play another game.

We still have a good side on paper but there are weaknesses that some teams can exploit.

Far from the worst but had a shocker tonight. For an unaccountable outside player to go at around 60%DE is a disgrace. Those 2 missed shots on goal really hurt given they should be bread and butter.
He has enough shots to be good for a goal or two per game. Mids kicking goals is huge for momentum, instead repeat behinds kills it. Like Treloar, if he nails those we're better for it and sides will have to hold him more accountable.

I have kept of the board until now and haven't read all the posts but my take was we missed Adams and Sier, our inside mids, we were rusty and it was good to see Elliot back and Moore play out a game. I won't panic before I see how we perform against Richmond.
I don't quite understand how being 'rusty' rates as an excuse. What about Geelong? Wouldn't they have been rusty? Ironically the 2 you single out for praise - Elliott and Moore - would have been rustier than anyone else. And we were favourites to win and many posters were impressed by the team on paper. If we beat Richmond then, you're right, there is no need to panic. But if not then the Geelong game will be recalled as one that we needed to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lack of KPP defenders and forwards. We didn't need another midfielder. As much as I am happy to get Beams back I would have much preferred to get a big defender or a big forward.

Mason is tall but he isn't consistent enough. We will be lucky if he ever plays a game close to that prelim again in his career.
Our small forwards are good but go missing, when the midfield is struggling and can't kick to leads we struggle to score.

Darcy Moore is a potentially great defender but I still would like some backup or just straight up another big defender on the ground. And no I don't count Ben Reid as he will be lucky to play another game.

We still have a good side on paper but there are weaknesses that some teams can exploit.

Darcy Moore All Australian CHB if he stays healthy now Rance is down.

I don't quite understand how being 'rusty' rates as an excuse. What about Geelong? Wouldn't they have been rusty? Ironically the 2 you single out for praise - Elliott and Moore - would have been rustier than anyone else. And we were favourites to win and many posters were impressed by the team on paper. If we beat Richmond then, you're right, there is no need to panic. But if not then the Geelong game will be recalled as one that we needed to win.
Despite the poor play we still should have won that game. We didn’t run out the game physically, they did.

He hasn’t played well in a while. He’s a poor ruckman statistically speaking and he isn’t having any impact around the ground. Add to that he gives away 3-5 frees a game. He may come good or he may become Fraser 2. This is an important year for him.

Que?

Is anybody here a member of the Collingwood pages on Facebook?

The amount of whining and calling for Buckley's head is completely ridiculous. It's really pissing me off.
The poison of social media.

It gives voice to the perpetually miserable.

Best avoided.

Bigfooty needs a rhino hide as well at times.

(You do get a few of the lunatics at times.)

Melbourne are struggling against Port Adelaide right now.Richmond struggled against Carlton in the second and third quarters.It just goes to show that you can't take anything for granted in today's football.You can't just turn up to a game and expect to win.I think our players had something of that attitude last night and they paid the price for it.They all looked very relaxed,smiling and grinning as they went up the race before the game.While Geelong players had their game day face on and looked very serious about what they were going to do.The difference in intent was very noticible to me.

Not sure where the 4th clanger comes from, but CD counts frees against in their clanger total - so 3 of 4 Varcoe's clangers weren't disposal related.

100%DE agrees with you.

I think round 1 will be proven to be full of anamolies, our game included. It's just as raffle because teams are so out of sorts as it's the first game with real pressure. I'll start to worry in a few weeks.

Mayne was putrid tonight which is so disappointing after such a good run of games late last year and one of our best on ground in the GF (0 clangers and had the most tackles).
On what basis could you call Mayne's game putrid? Lord, one reads some mindboggling posts on this forum.

Also I must rant that the supporters were a complete embarrassment for a couple of reasons last night:

- booing Gary Ablett Jr, one of the finest players we have seen and ever will see, and for absolutely no reason whatsoever either. It happened last year which pissed me off, but what really got on my nerves is that the only reason I can think of as to why Ablett got booed is because of the manner in which he left Gold Coast when only five and a half months ago, Dayne Beams returned to Collingwood in a comparatively worse manner. This is a champion of the game who has never done wrong and is a fantastic bloke, and that's twice now that he's been booed and we've gone on to lose. Embarrassing.

- the 'Coooollingwooood' chant makes me cringe cringe cringe. Took a six point lead mid-way into the final term and decided that it was an appropriate time to belt it out as if we were seven goals up. Rightly so, Geelong fans were performing their own rendition right before the final siren. Thoroughly deserved. Surely lessons are learnt after the embarrassment of singing it after every goal in the grand final but apparently not. I was embarrassed to be sitting there and legit, as soon as I heard that chorus ring around the ground, I knew it was curtains, and I was correct as Parfitt kicked an equaliser about fifteen seconds later. Comical.

Why? The chant is for the players to let them know we are behind them-it isn't a celebration of victory. Would you cringe had they chanted the old fashioned "Coll-ing--wood-clap-clap-clap?" or is that cheer permissible? Thank God the supporters don't all think like you-we would clearly have silence throughout most games.

Lacked cohesiveness.
Bit like Blair over the last couple of years , if Aish is playing coming round 22 I’ll be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? The chant is for the players to let them know we are behind them-it isn't a celebration of victory. Would you cringe had they chanted the old fashioned "Coll-ing--wood-clap-clap-clap?" or is that cheer permissible? Thank God the supporters don't all think like you-we would clearly have silence throughout most games.
I cringed too. Was way too early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back