Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing i got is

Collingwood 2 5 17 2 5 17 3 8 26 4 13 37
Box Hill Hawks 4 5 29 14 8 92 16 10 106 23 15 153

Collingwood
Goal Kickers: J. Paine 2, K. Ugle , L. Wallace
Best Players: L. Rounds, J. Thomas, L. Wallace, N. Riddle, J. Witts, M. Clarke
Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: L. Tobin 3, D. Pratt 3, B. Hill 3, L. Lowden 3, M. Thompson 2, T. Gilchrist 2, A. Pattison , M. BAILEY , A. Litherland , L. Hodge , C. Bateman , D. Hughes , M. Hallahan
Best Players: L. Andrews, D. Mirra, X. Murphy, L. Lowden, B. Hill, L. Tobin

Hodgey got a knock or jarred the knee in the third Q. He played in the last so I assume he is good. Hodgey did not do a heap but was moving smoothly.

Bails was very good. Moved well and that was the best i have seen him mark. his tap work was also nice. He looked to have run out of puff by the third so will need some conditioning.

Lukey Lowden finally started playing tall. Took a heap of overhead marks and rucked well. That is as good as I have seen from him.

Changa played off a wing. Just went and his disposal was average at best.

Schneider was heavily tagged. He worked really hard in blocking and did a lot of physical stuff. Looked to have a slight twist to the ankle. Did not get a heap of the pill but was very impressive with his team acts.

Hallahan played on the ball. Not a big possession game but he always looks to block and actively seeks contact.

patto was FB and jBo was next to him. Dunno on JBo. He can be flaky but won or halved most one on ones.

A dominant display by BHH. Having two significant rucks makes a huge difference.

Got the ground 5 minutes into the second quarter. I'm quietly impressed with the work done to Victoria Park. Very pretty ground, now.

Box Hill dominated the Magpies everywhere across the park, especially in the second quarter. The girls and I sat at the Hoddle Street end of the ground and we barely saw the ball as the Hawks had it locked in their forward half. The Hawks midfielders were well on top and it was good to see Muston run around in his familiar style getting plenty of the pill. Hill also was very prominent with run on the wings. Chance looked very rusty in his first game for a while. Hodge played predominantly on the half-forward line throughout the game and did as he pleased, really. Hard to tell whether he's match-fit enough to come into the 22 for Essendon next week, but I think he tends to hold a bit back at this level. He certainly came down very hard on his knee in the third quarter and was limping around very badly for quite some time afterwards. Took him some time to shake it off then sat out most of the last quarter.

Pattison played full-back for the first three quarters then finished the game on the ball and up forward. Looked very good at this level. Bailey and Lowden alternated on the ball and in the forward line. Bailey might be a nice guy off the field, but doesn't take a backward step when out on the ground and he slotted two nice goals. Bailey's attitude rubbed off on Lowden, and Sticks did a fine job feeding the midfielders.

Collingwood put a lot of effort into Schneider, who seemed relatively quiet by his standards, yet other Box Hill midfielders stepped up, including Hallahan, who capped a good game with a couple of goals late in the game. Would have enjoyed himself out there today, I feel.

Box Hill's backline duo of Boumann and Mirra were up to their old tricks, both combining well to repel some feeble Collingwood attacks throughout the game. Boumann had his tail up by the last to peel off his man and run through the corridor for the handball receive and kick into the forward line a few times.

Taylor Gilchrist was prominent in midfield for Box Hill today, more as an outside player and link-man than anything else. Could kick the ball like a mule.

Nice way to warm up for the main event later in the day. Surprisingly, though, there would only have been about a 1,000 people at the ground. I'm sure the VFL would have counted on a few more people being there given it was scheduled as the curtain raiser to the AFL game between the Pies and Hawks.

DF I think you find Big Max only slotted one goal as did Mitch Hallahan.

Liam Tobin contines to impress with 3 goals this week, after a nice effort against Frankston last week.

I remember the ex Sandy Dragon being in the Vic Metro squad in his draft years. Sandy Dragon team mate Taylor Gilchrist is another finding form.

Also Brad Hill just zoomed up and down the ground. The kid can play. There is no way he is 18. I'd have him at 14 tops. He will be unstoppable when he is 16. Hill is still learning and was taking instruction from Hodgey about where to run.

Litherland played off a back flank. I'd have him behind BHH players Mirra and Thompson but on the rare occasions that Litherland takes the game on he looks good.

Doc Duryea thrilled portions of the crowd with his disposal. Chuck another 5 kgs on him and maybe we have a Guerra type.

Did not see any of the senior team at the game. Piss poor effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not see any of the senior team at the game. Piss poor effort.

Given that they played later that day, you could forgive them for sticking to their regular prep couldn't you?

Watching the full game yesterday can help but notice how good MAx BAiley is. Agile and a great mark. Handy around the ground and his spoils go as far as a kick. Hodge was about 3 classes above everyone else. Hill looks like he can play too.

Vic Park is a shadow of its former self, in a good way thankfully.

Schneider copped a cork and was mothballed for the last quarter, nothing serious.
Best game I have seen from Hallahan, topped off the day by bursting away from the centre bounce, running to 50 and kicking a great goal, the boxer might finally be starting to show something.

Taylor Duryea will play senior games next year, his kicking is beautiful to watch, Suckers may have himself a challenger.

How the hell do we keep finding and developing players that are elite kicks?

For the most part we whinge and carry on when we dont play the kids in the seniors, I think we are as good if not better a developing our young talent in the reserves and not exposing them until they are 100% ready.

Hodge is even slower than I remembered.

Great games also from Max and Lowden. Lowden worked his arse off up and down the ground to get to contests, it was great to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back