Autopsy Come and stay for the Hayward show 48 point win vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good he kicked four again but he was fed by the team.

He has a long way to go before being a consistent B grader

Tony Lockett kicked over 1300 goals being fed by the team, overrated spud. 😂

Love the spread

Still kind of miss the days of forwards kicking 70-100 a year mind you.
Yes, well I was introduced to AFL via Souths and Sydney in 70s, so there have never been days of forwards kicking 70-100 in a season!

I dont think it's quite true that Fremantle were just very inaccurate and that we couldn't miss.

Below is a shot chart that shows that we were generally able to restrict them to shots from distance or from a pretty tight angle. I think most of their shots from general play were really rushed because we put on very good pressure. Particularly in the first half when our big lead was established.

With us our shots are either from the square, more centrally and closer in.

Sure I think in general they might have kicked a few more, and us a few less on a different night. But given the difficulty of the shots each team was able to generate I think we'd probably still have a pretty sizeable lead. Rather than an 8 goal win it could have been 4 or 6 but still pretty comfortable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240511-195428.png
    Screenshot_20240511-195428.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 31
Interesting to read the trackers sometimes, Taylor Adams ran 6 km more than any other player last night on the ground. Certainly working bloody hard
You missed the bigger story here!!

That’s a new AFL record according to the AFL app, and by a good margin.

Adams covered 20.6km during the game, the previous record held by Tom Scully in 2017 with 18.9km

He beat the record by 1.7km

😮 😮 😮

Adams covered 20.6km during the game, the previous record held by Tom Scully in 2017 with 18.9km

😮 😮 😮

Amazing

Absolutely loved the McInerney Clark stoush. Where McInerney gave away a free being aggressive, the. Clark gave the kick back and Justin sprinted away to set up Warner's goal. Was just an example of that aggressive arrogant refuse to be beaten in any moment attitude.
That was ridiculous from the umpire. McInerney didn't go off his line and had only taken a few steps back when the umpire called play on.

😮 😮 😮
Sure he didn’t stick his GPS unit on Robbie Fox as he ran laps post-game?

Just got home from the game.

I must admit, I saw it a bit different to most.

I didn’t see “manic Sydney pressure” as the press has reported. Instead, I saw a Freo side playing an aggressive running game that troubled us - but it did enable us to punish them on turnover.

And if it wasn’t for their wonky goal kicking, the score would have been very close at half time. It was not a dominant performance by Sydney.

Main positive for me - I’m now a JJ convert. He ran with Clarke, as well as spending some time on Young and O’Meara. And whoever he played on struggled.

The only question - can he offer more than a negating role? If he can - he’s going to be a real asset for plenty of years.

And Warner looked incredibly good when he played forward.

I found it curious that Sydney clearly saw Young and Clarke as the key men to contain - not Serong.

Overall, a solid win, but not a dominant win.
sorry lurking on the board. serong is at that lachie neale stage of his development. lachie broke the record for most disposals in a season whilst at freo at similar age. but sides didn't care. paid more attention to fyfe, mundy and steven hill.

freo's game plan is built around gaining territory. then using our defence to prevent anything from happening the other way. we used to be a methodical side at doing this. however, we seem to trying to speed this up.

thus, if you wanna slow us down just sit on high meter's gained players such as young and clark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker's been highly paid for years that helps with the loyalty .

No one is owed or deserves a spot .

Having said that yes he is a great of the club, so who are you cutting for him ?

Not one player he could replace deserves to lose their spot is the flip side of it .
I somewhat disagree. I think a club champion who only lost their spot due to injury, and has proven his fitness and form at the lower level, absolutely deserves a chance to reclaim his spot. Not because it's "owed", because it's earned.

I would suggest he come in for any of Fox, Wicks or Cunningham. I also think Roberts has tailed off and could do with a rest. Some of those aren't like for like, but we can reshuffle to accommodate.

It's easy to say we shouldn't change a winning formula but by the same token, players shouldn't be complacent in their positions just because we're winning.

I somewhat disagree. I think a club champion who only lost their spot due to injury, and has proven his fitness and form at the lower level, absolutely deserves a chance to reclaim his spot. Not because it's "owed", because it's earned.

I would suggest he come in for any of Fox, Wicks or Cunningham. I also think Roberts has tailed off and could do with a rest. Some of those aren't like for like, but we can reshuffle to accommodate.

If that change happened i wouldn't be here going wtf , Time will tell, tough decision.

I can see a situation where Roberts fades and Mills takes that spot eventually . But that's presuming everyone stays fit .

i'm curious. what do you guys think of us? a board member said we have a bottom 6 forward line. but a top 4 defense and midfield.

but, might be a bit simplistic. have at it

I just absolutely love our midfield mix right now.

It's sounds premature but I'll take the current version heeney, rowbottom, errol and warner of the jpk, hanners and Jack.

The current incarnation just compliment each other so well.

Heeney is the cleanest player in the comp and somehow become an elite kick over night.

Errol is errol. Laser kicks and a work ethic that is unmatched.

Warner might lack a little polished compared to the other 2 but he the most explosive and powerful mid in the game. Nearly impossible to tackle.

Rowbottom is an absolute work horse and a manic tackler. Whilst he may technically have poor foot skills , he hides it by making smart decisions and biting off kicks he can make.

All are extremely dangers forward of centre and genuine goal threats. An absolute remarkable unit

i'm curious. what do you guys think of us? a board member said we have a bottom 6 forward line. but a top 4 defense and midfield.

Personally, I think you have a core of A-graders (Ryan, Young, Serong, Brayshaw, Clark), some good solid B graders (like Aish, Pearce, O’Meara, Switta), a few good young talents (Jackson, Amiss) - but then it falls away too sharply. The bottom 6-8 just aren’t good enough to allow Freo to be a genuine contender.

Think it's a little more complex with Fremantle. Who is the genuine star that can lift the team on his own back and win it by himself. Fyfe is past it, Serong is an excellent player but his disposals lack hurt. Young has genuine speed and is a fantastic kick can go quiet. Walters has moments of brilliance but doesn't put it together for full games often enough.

I think Fremantle have the potential to be the St. Kilda of this year. Make finals on the back of a kind draw and winning their fair share of 50/50 games but do stuff all once there. It's easy to criticise Longmuir for the disciplined system oriented game he has Freo playing, but he implements that style because of a lack of genuine match winner talent across the board. Freo have genuinely good role players but lack the top end talent to win games because of individual brilliance. It means that the saying you're only as strong as your weakest link is doubly true for Fremantle.

Personally, I think you have a core of A-graders (Ryan, Young, Serong, Brayshaw, Clark), some good solid B graders (like Aish, Pearce, O’Meara, Switta), a few good young talents (Jackson, Amiss) - but then it falls away too sharply. The bottom 6-8 just aren’t good enough to allow Freo to be a genuine contender.
Not so sure that the A graders are genuinely that. Who can turn a match by themselves, even for ten minutes? Brayshaw at one time perhaps. Clark was too easily closed down. We didn't bother running with Serong despite his accumulation. O'Meara was once brilliant but now cooked.
Jackson's shortcomings covered by Serong, Young and Brayshaw to break even on clearances.
Not enough skill/speed on the outside to mount an effective concerted attack I50.
Coach is trying to play to your defensive strength but you can't score enough to win enough games. You've lost runners and need to trade or draft more. Another small forward.
Doing well with what you've got.

Absolutely loved the McInerney Clark stoush. Where McInerney gave away a free being aggressive, the. Clark gave the kick back and Justin sprinted away to set up Warner's goal. Was just an example of that aggressive arrogant refuse to be beaten in any moment attitude.
I couldn't disagree more.

McInerney ought to take a leaf out of Rowy's book or JJ's and focus all his aggression at winning the ball or keeping it off the opposition. I get frustrated with McInerney. He's clearly talented but he comes across as childish off field while he pretends to be tough on-field, mouthing off and generally acting like an arrogant little s**t. Too many times he's given away momentum through a lack of discipline.

He needs to look around at his mature teammates who just get on with the grind. If Jordan Clark hadn't been so rattled by JJ's close attention he could have punished us on turnover and hit a Freo player 70m out in the corridor with our defence out of sorts.

McInerney was bloody lucky Clark fluffed his lines and gifted him a chance at redemption. I expect it'll be brought up when they review the game, if it wasn't at half time. We won't always have the luxury of an opposition who suffered from a collective myopia (and/or diplopia) every time they looked goalwards.

Pretty sure I heard a statistic last night - of their last 136 home games, visiting teams have won 17. So it's almost as rare as an intelligent Crows fan, or a Collingwood fan with a full set of teeth :).
We're resposible for 4 or 5 of those wins? We broke that streak when they had won something like 30 in a row, then we won 3 in a row again a few years later? Seem to have done ok there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back