Cometti retired too early

Remove this Banner Ad

geoffjennings79

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dulcet tones of D.Cometti:
"And after that goal, the Dogs lead the 2018 grand final by 23 points, looking for a three-peat. No-one gets an effective touch at the centre bounce, but it's taken by Lib-er-a-tore, hand balls to Bon-tem-pelli, kicks out wide to Mullinger-McHugh, keeps moving and handballs on to Lip-inski, who kicks to the top of the square where it's marked, and I hope I'm pronouncing this correctly, by B-o-y-d..."

I was really disappointed with Cometti's Grand Final call. He was lacking enthusiasm. Just didn't show the same effort as what the other guys on the commentary team did. In saying that, I'd choose him every day of the week over Zambellis.

I was really disappointed with Cometti's Grand Final call. He was lacking enthusiasm. Just didn't show the same effort as what the other guys on the commentary team did. In saying that, I'd choose him every day of the week over Zambellis.
Nah, sorry mate, have to disagree - "the stadium holds it's breath, it's a goal! And the western suburbs ... Etc"
Left Macavaney's faux dribble trying to make it sound exciting for dead. If I could erase most of BMc's commentary from the DVD it would be so much better, his tone is sickening.

People were claiming he undercalled the end of the GF.

Having watched the different commentaries now I've noticed something - the callers were looking for soundbytes at the end to be recycled. He wasnt. He was in the moment. I think that is much better.

Last edited:
Nah, sorry mate, have to disagree - "the stadium holds it's breath, it's a goal! And the western suburbs ... Etc"
Left Macavaney's faux dribble trying to make it sound exciting for dead. If I could erase most of BMc's commentary from the DVD it would be so much better, his tone is sickening.

I think that bit of commentary will be remembered as much as Mike Williamsons 'Jesaulenko'. Was a really nice way for him to go out. BT has about 1/50 th of Dennis' vocabulary

People were claiming he undercalled the end of the GF.

Having watched the different commentaries now I've noticed something - the callers were looking for soundbytes and the end to be recycled. He wasnt. He was in the moment. I think that is much better.

Agree 100%
The Iconic plays of the last quarter - particulaly Boyd's goal needed no verbal theatrics. Dennis's understated commentry allowed all viewers to conjure their own mental snapshot of the moment when time stood still, before they , the MCG crowd and the Western Suburbs erupted!!

Has been a great caller Dennis, but call of GF was very ordinary. Gerard Whately, Peter Donegan, Rex Hunt outstanding commentary, left Dennis for dead.

Gerard Whately is in my humble opinion the best by a mile. I've heard a lot of his call, the other guy calling with him wasn't that good. Mark McClure for special comments is awesome too. Still look for the full ABC call?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Thought his last quarter was ordinary excluding his call of the Boyd goal.

"The boy from East Fremantle!" Dennis, we know you're a WA boy but he just put us in a winning position in a Grand Final (even though it was overturned). Give us something more than that.

Then his "He misses. But they don't miss out" was uninspiring too.

If anyone has seen Neil Kearney's piece on Cometti during the GF, Dennis pretty much hints at the fact he's a Bulldog at heart, and bowing out with us winning the flag is a fitting finale. Being a pro, I think he was trying to maintain neutrality, so was in a catch-22 - he couldn't be seen to be barracking, so went for under-statement.

If anyone has seen Neil Kearney's piece on Cometti during the GF, Dennis pretty much hints at the fact he's a Bulldog at heart, and bowing out with us winning the flag is a fitting finale. Being a pro, I think he was trying to maintain neutrality, so was in a catch-22 - he couldn't be seen to be barracking, so went for under-statement.
Makes sense. He was pretty happy when we beat the Hawks and the bias spin wouldn't of shown because of Bruce's love for Hawthorn

Has been a great caller Dennis, but call of GF was very ordinary. Gerard Whately, Peter Donegan, Rex Hunt outstanding commentary, left Dennis for dead.
In Cometti's defence, he knew it was his last GF call and wasn't going to try and come up with the big zinger one-liner to sign off with.
Given the reality of exactly what the team had done to get through the final and win, perhaps he didn't really need to say too much at all.
He remained reserved and didn't go over the top, letting the images and the moment speak for them selves.
In retrospect, he will remain one of my favourite ever callers and, given the fact that we won the game, I couldn't really care if he read out the sheep dip report from the Shepparton Gazette.

P.S. if BT is to step up, I hope he continues his potty mouth work akin to his call of Tom Boyds last quarter goal on the M's

In Cometti's defence, he knew it was his last GF call and wasn't going to try and come up with the big zinger one-liner to sign off with.
Given the reality of exactly what the team had done to get through the final and win, perhaps he didn't really need to say too much at all.
He remained reserved and didn't go over the top, letting the images and the moment speak for them selves.
In retrospect, he will remain one of my favourite ever callers and, given the fact that we won the game, I couldn't really care if he read out the sheep dip report from the Shepparton Gazette.

P.S. if BT is to step up, I hope he continues his potty mouth work akin to his call of Tom Boyds last quarter goal on the M's

You've hit the nail on the head here.

Watch the other calls and you'll note that they were reserved, and then when the siren sounded they started screaming (i.e. looking for a soundbyte to be packaged up and put into promos). Den didn't do that, he left the call for the moment, as it should be.

You've hit the nail on the head here.

Watch the other calls and you'll note that they were reserved, and then when the siren sounded they started screaming (i.e. looking for a soundbyte to be packaged up and put into promos). Den didn't do that, he left the call for the moment, as it should be.
I know that Dennis has a soft spot for the club so I think he would have had a smile on his face and been happy to walk off into the shadows with the result of that game as his final piece of work.
In some ways it's no different to the way Bevo way quick to step back from the photos and leave it all to his boys.
It's the simple acts of humility and graceousness which sets them apart and above the rest.

BOY! Do we need the footy to start again or what.....

link? (please)

I know that Dennis has a soft spot for the club so I think he would have had a smile on his face and been happy to walk off into the shadows with the result of that game as his final piece of work.
Cometti made the Bulldogs senior list in 1971, but injury thwarted his ambitions (sound familiar?) and he never got a game :(

link? (please)

Final AFL Game day for the year (2 Oct):

Cometti story starts at 34:30, but last 20secs of the piece on Dennis from 37:00 to 37:20, to quote Dennis:

"If I'm a Bulldogs man (big smile)... I'm not prepared to concede, but if I am, then it may not happen for a while again, who knows, but it happened today, so I'm going Neil!"

* Dennis loves his WAFL teams that he grew up watching with his father, played for and coached, but he also loves his Footscray/Western Bulldogs. You can hear it in his voice in many calls over the years, particularly in a few games at the WO years ago where he could barely hide his affection for the surrounds.

Cometti made the Bulldogs senior list in 1971, but injury thwarted his ambitions (sound familiar?) and he never got a game :(

Combination of injury and media commitments - he was on radio in Melbourne, and in the end the lure of the media at a time when he was injured was too great. In the end, cricket and footy were the winners - and he was there when the Dogs won the flag!

Dennis is great at articulating a point, however his knowledge of the game is well below par and personally I won't miss him at all.
Dennis used to host sports shows in Perth 15 years ago, as well as the 2002 Channel 9 Show Dennis Cometti Live!. He said he watched every game on early versions of DVDs on aeroplanes and at home.
But he started to perform a perfunctory role after 9 lost the rights back to 7 IMO. Clearly didn't awash himself in the game. Like you said he's good at articulating a point to this day. A master and legend.
IMO he barracks for the Dogs and the Eagles. He was loving 91-94 the WCE halcyon days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back