Autopsy Bulldog's effort and Jamarra's brilliance too much for Freo - (102 - 73)

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the game as per usual. Liked Poulter, West and the backline. Not sure of the reason for Hannan being dropped. Was he injured or went missing?
The last quarter was the best quarter we have played in probably all of this season. West was part of the reason. Hope we can do a trick on the pies and beat them at home. What happens to tickets if you are member? Just show up early, I guess?
In spite of my fears, the backline was pretty solid. I have a funny feeling that we can actually beat the pies, just like we did last year. They can be vulnerable. May put a bet on them as the odds will be favourable to us. All we need is our midfield to play a solid game. GO DOGS!!!

Last edited:
From those who have watched live apparently positioning and distribution very good, intercepting well enough, 1-on-1 defending very suspect - until he puts on size we won’t know if strength or skill set is the issue. Finished the game forward last week because we didn’t have rotations and he was too gassed to continue in the backline.

I think there was a comment from someone last week that he’s unlikely to ever be a 1KPD, might become a 2KPD, distribution is good enough even if he only becomes a 3rd-tall/interceptor.
As a junior he played as more of an interceptor than as a genuine KPD.
Not an issue really as we really need an interceptor in the back half.

That's old hat ...

ha, the goal celebration gone wrong! But a 30m handball to a guy with two opponents closer to him than they are to himself? classic 'old keath'.

new keath would have drawn those opponents, sold candy .. twice... then drilled the goal from 60m, and headbutted naughton.. on purpose

Always thought of him as a Jake Lever type, that’s what we’d hope he becomes of course.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Could not deal with Lyon's commentary trying to make a story out of Naughton. Can't believe a guy who played at the top level could fail to understand the concept of dragging the primary KPD out of the contest and into traffic where Naughton's ground and pressure game could destroy him. Honestly. Not sure we will ever get commentators with more than 50 IQ combined.

Could not deal with Lyon's commentary trying to make a story out of Naughton. Can't believe a guy who played at the top level could fail to understand the concept of dragging the primary KPD out of the contest and into traffic where Naughton's ground and pressure game could destroy him. Honestly. Not sure we will ever get commentators with more than 50 IQ combined.
Caleb Daniels and Jesse Stringer come to mind!

JOD should never play forward again. Was good down back.

Caleb Daniel is showing how important he is to the team. JJ and Richards go down, he goes to half back without a worry. Treloar goes out, he goes straight into the midfield and dominates. Don’t think he’d have any issue playing forward if needed. Very valuable asset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is Bailey Dale? His distribution off half back is Bob Murphy level. Him, JJ and Richards back there is such a weapon. Especially considering Richards and Dale can play tall.

I’ve been low on him since before the draft and part of it was that I think his physical qualities aren’t quite what is needed for a KPP at the next level, not just the lack of size but doesn’t have a stand out trait like speed or leap, which might limit him defensively. I’m still not quite sure how he fits into an elite defence. Perhaps as a tall half back. His kicking seems excellent though, which is great news for us if he makes it.

I’ve been low on him since before the draft and part of it was that I think his physical qualities aren’t quite what is needed for a KPP at the next level, not just the lack of size but doesn’t have a stand out trait like speed or leap, which might limit him defensively. I’m still not quite sure how he fits into an elite defence. Perhaps as a tall half back. His kicking seems excellent though, which is great news for us if he makes it.
It's mostly an ability to get tot he fall of the ball and impact in the air.
McGovern isn't tall, and he's certainly not quick - he's got a rig like a beaten mattress - but is still an outstanding intercept player.

I don't think he screams 'gun first rounder' on what I've seen but he's coming from a long way back with his interruptions last year & during pre-season.

SEN's Team of the Week features not 1, not 2, but FOUR Dockers players. Including Brennan Cox who from memory was manning JUH for his first 3 goals.

F0Ebbi2aYAA6PKn

SEN's Team of the Week features not 1, not 2, but FOUR Dockers players. Including Brennan Cox who from memory was manning JUH for his first 3 goals.

F0Ebbi2aYAA6PKn

Clearly looked through the disposal stats and went yep, they will do.

Serong & the corpse of Walters can’t be complained against too much, but Henry got a lot of the ball without being too damaging. Cerra & Kelly well clear from the weekend, 27/26 & 2 respectively.

Cox was ok, probably was their best defender. But I can guarantee there were at least 6 better defenders out there on the weekend.

It doesn't.

The rule clearly states that a field umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player: (e) makes an unrealistic attempt to contest or spoil a Mark which interferes with an opposition Player.

There is zero reference to an attempt being realistic or unrealistic based on whether a player touches the ball. What constitutes a spoil or not is up for debate of course, but you only need to look at Ryan arguing that he simply touched the ball, not arguing that he spoiled the ball, when the free was given for you to know that in his head, Ryan felt that simply touching the ball was enough.
To be fair to Ryan, it's an area that seems like has been adjudicated according to an unwritten rule (ie touch = realistic, untouched = unrealistic) for a long time. This pisses me off with AFL umpiring. The rules themselves are actually written very well for the most part. If umpires just followed them to the letter of the law it would be much better. However, there are many "interpretations" that seem to have been made up, emanating from head office which just create confusion. Fecking stupid.

F0Ebbi2aYAA6PKn
It's a consolation prize and they're welcome to it.
They can have all the TotW nominees they like as long as we get the 4 points. Champion Team beats a team of champions and all that.

Watched the game back last night.

One player whose influence I underappreciated at the time (and has been generally underrated I reckon) was Tim English.

Although his disposals were down, he seemed to continually position himself down the line , where Freo refused to go

Their ball movement was so ugly, having 90 possessions more than us but so much going nowhere.

What English did do was very blue collar and wholehearted.

10 tackles is huge for a Ruckman. He had more I50 tackles than any player on the ground, and wasn't even forward that much.

Also had 4 clearances and his disposals went at 90%.

All in all, a much bigger game than the casual observer may appreciate against quality opposition.

He is putting together a fantastic season

The other 2 players I really appreciated much more watching the game a 2nd time were Bailey Dale and Adam Treloar.

Dale was so incisive and bold with his touches and runs, exactly what the team needed given the outs, and Treloar's defensive workrate has quietly come a long way.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back