Opinion Confess - Who did you want in the first round in previous drafts?

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath isn't bad and if you picked him up at pick 15 I doubt anyone would ever mention it but he does get a mention as while he is clearly good enough to be in the AFL he does not feel like he has the (and I apologise for the term) X factor that you come to expect from a pick 1. Most pick 1's, even if they fail, you see their point of difference, why they were selected at pick 1, but watching McGrath he always feels like a mid to late first round selection to me.

He was picked because he was safe and ready to go.

He was also seen to be a future leader and that was important after the drug saga.

Still does not change the fact he was a bad pick but I do understand the reasoning, just never agreed with it.

He was picked because he was safe and ready to go.

He was also seen to be a future leader and that was important after the drug saga.

Still does not change the fact he was a bad pick but I do understand the reasoning, just never agreed with it.

Though in Essendon's defence the 2016 draft was very weak. There are not many stars in the top 10, or even the first round.

Mitch Thorp

Angry Kevin Costner GIF by Yellowstone

2018 - Rozee (we got Chayce Jones and Ned McHenry) after Rankine unobtainable
2019 - Dylan Stephens (we took McAsey after trading back)
2020 - Logan McDonald (Thilthorpe) and Bruhn (Pedlar). Probably dodged a bullet there.
2021 - Rachele (after JHF unobtainable)
2022 - Barnett (wanted us to trade back in)

I really wanted Cam McCarthy in 2013.

Was so annoyed when Carlton drafted some pudgy, slow, inside mid called Patrick Cripps.

Having said that, Cripps was pretty much the only decent Carlton selection in a five year span. I think that was dumb luck.

I really wanted Cam McCarthy in 2013.

Was so annoyed when Carlton drafted some pudgy, slow, inside mid called Patrick Cripps.

Having said that, Cripps was pretty much the only decent Carlton selection in a five year span. I think that was dumb luck.
It's nice being wrong sometimes.

2022 - Phillipou
2021 - Gibcus
2020 - Can’t remember
2019 - Hayden Young before we traded for Hill
2018 - Rankine
2017- Coffield & Clark

2022 - Mackenzie
2021 - Darcy
2020 - McDonald
2019 - Young or Pickett
2018 - Smith
2017 - Coffield (lmao)

Some of these ended up out of our range, and I ended up happy with our player ending up best available anyway. Wasn’t happy about having to settle for Naughton though, really wanted Coffield

2022 - Mackenzie
2021 - Darcy
2020 - McDonald
2019 - Young or Pickett
2018 - Smith
2017 - Coffield (lmao)

Some of these ended up out of our range, and I ended up happy with our player ending up best available anyway. Wasn’t happy about having to settle for Naughton though, really wanted Coffield

I remember saying Young was the best in the 2019 draft after Rowell and Anderson and I'm not embarrassed by that in hindsight.

I remember saying Young was the best in the 2019 draft after Rowell and Anderson and I'm not embarrassed by that in hindsight.
Same, except I went as far as rating him above Anderson too. He’s the perfect modern defender. Tough, agile, great read of the play, good leap, and an incredible kick (Buckley levels of long range kicking)

LDU then, LDU even more now. Freo's Young.

Was really happy with Lochie O'Brien though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2022 - Mackenzie
2021 - Darcy
2020 - McDonald
2019 - Young or Pickett
2018 - Smith
2017 - Coffield (lmao)

Coffield could still turn out a gun for us. Jay been unlucky with injury. Was pretty darn important for us the year we made finals and he was only young then.

Coffield could still turn out a gun for us. Jay been unlucky with injury. Was pretty darn important for us the year we made finals and he was only young then.
More laughing because we ended up with Naughton as the consolation prize

Port:

2010 Brodie Smith
2011 Wingard
2012 Sam Mayes
2013 No Pick
2014 No Pick
2015 No Pick
2016 Will Hayward, Tim English
2017 No Pick
2018 Rankine, Bailey Smith, Hately
2019 Will Day, D.Stephens (too far away though)
2020 Tom Powell
2021 Sinn
2022 No Pick

Usually want SANFL and ironically the first round SANFL players have mostly been very good players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back