Opinion Confess - Who did you want in the first round in previous drafts?

Remove this Banner Ad

A few random memories:
  • was chuffed with Jetta in 2006. I shouldn’t have been
  • hoped we’d take Rich when it was looking like he’d be available at 5 ( we took Hurley)
  • was hoping for Melksham in 2009
  • 2010 was stunned that Heppell was available to us
  • 2014 I was hoping 2MP would slide to us. I guess he kind of did in the end
  • 2015 wanted Parish and Francis
  • 2021 I was hoping we’d get Hobbs when it looked like he’d be the slider in the days prior to the draft. Was beside myself when we took him

In recent history:

2018: Jordan Clark (drafted)
2019: Dev Robertson and Brodie Kemp
2020: Tanner Bruhn or Ollie Henry

Who we actually ended up with:

2018: Jordan Clark :whitecheck:
2019: Cooper Stephens :crossmark:and SDK :whitecheck:
2020: Max Holmes :whitecheck:

+ Tanner Bruhn and Ollie Henry traded back this year anyway, haha.

Can't complain at all!

Forget what year but I really wanted Tom Swift when he went through, the ultimate who knows how good he'd have been had he not copped injuries

In '13 I REALLY wanted Cam McCarthy or failing that, Ben Lennon. When we read out Cripp's name I thought why the hell have we picked up this slow, pudgy, plodder. Great judge I am!

2013: Billings
2014: Petracca
2015: Had no strong preference - really wanted Parish or Laverde but traded down. Wasn’t high on Gresham at the time.
2016: Parfitt
2017: Naughton and Clark - didn’t want Coffield.
2018: Max King or Bailey Smith
2019: N/A
2020: No one stood out to me.
2021: Wanganeen - Milera or Erasmus (ended up going the pick before) didn’t want Gibcus.

2013: Billings
2014: Petracca
2015: Had no strong preference - really wanted Parish or Laverde but traded down. Wasn’t high on Gresham at the time.
2016: Parfitt
2017: Naughton and Clark - didn’t want Coffield.
2018: Max King or Bailey Smith
2019: N/A
2020: No one stood out to me.
2021: Wanganeen - Milera or Erasmus (ended up going the pick before) didn’t want Gibcus.
Laverde was 2014?

Yes my mistake. Got mixed up - I wanted Laverde in 204 but he went the one before our pick (Goddard).
You guys were big into him end of 2017 as well iirc.

A few random memories:
  • was chuffed with Jetta in 2006. I shouldn’t have been
  • hoped we’d take Rich when it was looking like he’d be available at 5 ( we took Hurley)
  • was hoping for Melksham in 2009
  • 2010 was stunned that Heppell was available to us
  • 2014 I was hoping 2MP would slide to us. I guess he kind of did in the end
  • 2015 wanted Parish and Francis
  • 2021 I was hoping we’d get Hobbs when it looked like he’d be the slider in the days prior to the draft. Was beside myself when we took him
Righto Adrian

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a hopeless scout.

1. 2009: I wanted Scully (left after 2nd year) and Morabito (26 games)
  2. 2010: Jack Darling. Clear best KPF available at our selection, would pair up with Jack Watts and dominate the comp for a decade. Got Lucas Cook (0 games)...
  3. 2011: N/A
  4. 2012: Ollie Wines, to pair him with his BFF Jack Viney. Sure, Wines and Viney were very similar players but we had no gun inside mids on our list. Double down! Got Toumpas (27 games)
  5. 2013: I had no strong opinions, I was mad that we traded out of pick 2 which I wanted to use for Josh Kelly.
  6. 2014: I was hoping Petracca would fall to us. I had no strong opinions on pick 3
  7. 2015: Parish and Daniel Rioli. Mills was my favourite but was not truly available. Yep, I passed on Oliver for being a fat ranga! In hindsight, Rioli instead of Weideman would have been a winner.
  8. 2016: N/A
  9. 2017: N/A
  10. 2018: I wanted to keep Hogan. After he was traded I wanted to use Pick 6 for a King twin. I didn't think May would be a good return for Pick 6. I suck at talent assessment
  11. 2019: Hayden Young and Cody Weightman, instead of Jackson and Kozzy. All four are very good players. Notwithstanding that Jackson left after 3 years, I think he will be best of the bunch. Weightman has been a good pickup for WBD, but I think Kozzy has a higher ceiling to be a Cyril Lite type player
  12. 2020: Didn't care. Just thought it was dumb that we drafted two slow short people who have neat kicks with no penetration.
  13. 2021: Josh Goater. No particular reason, I just liked his name
2022: I want Ed Allen or Brayden George.

2008: RICH/HILL (couldn't decide on either and still can't decide who had the better career)
2009: MORABITO (Still wonder what he could have been! Remembering being bewildered with Fyfe's selection. I remember they kept mentioning how big his hands were and how much he would grow)
2010: DARLING (We were screaming for a KPF. Harvey stated he wanted new prototype footballer: tall, running midfielders that can kick. Pitt had heart trouble and retired after two seasons)
2011: too hard with all the GWS concessions
2012: GRUNDY (Simpson 2 games!)
2013: MCCARTHY (was hoping he would slip and GWS didn't need any more forwards at that point)
2014: LEVER (given he left Adelaide, would have definitely left Freo plus we wouldn't have got the return like Weller)
2015: Early Second rounder (didn't care too much)
2016: ENGLISH (Sandi was getting close to retirement)
2017: LDU & FOGARTY (another fat SA forward kid, PAVLICH 2.0)
2018: STOCKER (Bought into the hype like SOS, Sturt has yet to take his opportunity)
2019: YOUNG & STEPHENS (thought Serong was too small and we needed more outside run, on draft night glad that we got two good mates to ease the interstate transition)
2020: OLI HENRY (thought we had too many defenders, stoked with Chapman)
2021: AMISS AND ERASMUS (very happy, both have shown glimpse of what they may become)

2015: Darcy Parish and Sam Weiderman
2016: Hugh McCluggage
2017: Darcy Fogarty
2018: Jye Caldwell
2019: Sam Flanders
2020: Nik Cox, Archie Perkins and Tanner Bruhn
2021: Ben Hobbs

2014- Laverde & Miller
2015- Parish & Curnow
2016- McCluggage
2017- Worpel
2018-Bailey Smith & Ben King (before trading for Shiel) after I’m gonna be honest I really don’t recall.
2019- Sam Philp or RCD for our pick in the 30’s
2020- Perkins, Jack Carroll, one of Zach Reid/cox.
2021- Nasiah Wanganeen Milera, Mathew Johnson and Josh Sinn.
2022- Phillipou & Hewett (pick 22)

Back in 2015 I distinctly remember not wanting Ben McKay, and wanted us to take either Ryan Clarke or Mitch Hibberd with our first pick instead (lol).

We ended up with all three.

Last year I wanted Goater. (Drafted Hobbs)
2020 I wanted Perkins, Cox and O’Driscoll. (Drafted Perkins, Cox and Reid)
Have to go back to 2016 for our last first before that. I wanted McCluggage. (Drafted McGrath)

I still don’t really know who I want this year. Think I’m leaning towards Phillipou now. If by some miracle Wardlaw slides through, my first choice has always been Wardlaw.

Last edited:
My edited thoughts in bold.

I'll add 2008 and 2009 to this.

Knowledge was scant.

2008 I wanted Zaharakis and/or Sidebottom with the first pick.

2009 I wasn't big on Melksham but thought Tapscott and Stevens were worthy shouts.
Ah yes there is another one, I was massive on Hately before we traded the pick.

2011 - Jon Patton (also really wanted Hoskin Elliott off the video.)
2012 - Lachie Whitfield (also wanted Grundy and liked Wines but I also liked Toumpas who was a spud.)
2013 - Tom Boyd
2014 - Christian Petracca (was excited we got Pickett who was useless.)
2015 - Jacob Hopper (was rapt we also got Kennedy.)
2016 - Andrew McGrath (was nonplussed re Taranto and would have preferred McLuggage)
2017 - Jaidyn Stephenson - loved him and was hoping we drafted him! 😬
2018 - Bailey Smith (hated the Hately pick.)
2019 - Matt Rowell (was happy with Ash over Young which looks a mistake.)
2020 - Nik Cox
2021 - Finn Callaghan (hope he stays! Gun.)
2022 - Aaron Cadman (also hoping for Josh Weddle and one of Jacob Konstanty, Charlie Clarke or Darcy Jones.)

2015 - wanted McKay if we kept our first round pick
2016 - wanted English but didn't think he would fall to us.
2017 - I wanted Stephenson
2018 - wanted Bailey Smith
2019 - I wanted Kemp but was happy with weightman
2020 & 2021 didn't choose anyone because of Jamarra and Darcy

I remember wanting Nakia Cockatoo in the 2014 draft and I was very unhappy that Geelong nabbed him the pick before.

2021: Was hoping we'd take whichever of Amiss, Erasmus and Johnson got past Freo's first two picks, with it likely they'd take Amiss and one mid.
2017: Wanted Allen at #13 and was filthy we took Brander. Got Allen in Round 2 but neat sliding doors moment if we'd taken Allen and Kelly instead of Brander and Allen.
2016: Tim English
2014: Jake Lever
2013: Wanted Cripps but thought he was too much of a spec pick for #11 and was unlikely to get to 31.
2010: Really wanted Darling, but not at #4 and didn't dare hope he'd get to our next pick
2009: Wanted Aaron Black and figured no way we'd get both he and Shepp. Black then fell past our next two picks as we grabbed Gerrick Weedon and Koby Stevens
2007: Was highly likely Eagles and Dockers would take Masten and Plamer at #3 and #7. I wanted Palmer. Really wanted Harry Taylor or Alex Rance at #13 when we took Ebert.
2006: Was completely unrealistically hoping we'd have Judd Mk II and clubs would be spooked by Selwood's injury history.
2005: Wanted Mitch Clark as there was no way Josh Kennedy was dropping to our pick and becoming an Eagle.

These were players I was hoping Hawthorn could nab with our first pick

2021 - Rachele
2020 - Hollands. Didn't think DGB or McDonald was going to be available to us.
2019- Kemp/Pickett
2018 - Anybody
2017 - Switkowski (was hoping we'd take him with a late pick was a gun at Box Hill)
2016- Anybody
2015 - Rioli and wanted Collins as a late pick (another Box Hill gun)
2014- Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back