Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice, though I'm getting more of an Emilio Estevez in Mighty Ducks vibe. Look out for the Blues to try a Flying V in 2020.

emilio-estevez-mighty-ducks-movie-1992-photo-gc.jpg
Better him than Charlie Sheen...

Who were the "poaching" candidates?

Clarko - chased hard by the sounds of things, but not leaving Hawthorn.
Lyon - we may have asked the question, but he seems insistent on remaining with Freo.
Longmire - resigned with Sydney early.
All the other senior coaches - probably asked the question of managers, but most look pretty well set where they are.

Who were the "available" candidates?

Teague - interviewed and assessed extensively.
Voss - two interviews, reportedly performed poorly in both.
Ratten - heavily linked to STK gig, was "open" to Carlton talks but not "keen", probably sees a better opportunity with the Saints and didn't want to hurt that.
Shaw - locked in pretty quick at North, doubt he was shopping himself around.
Richo - terrible record, good assistant/poor senior coach.
Scott - looking at an $800k salary to take a gap year followed by a cushy gig at head office, also potentially the wrong personality for our team anyway.

That just leaves a bunch of other assistants, none of whom appear to have had the opportunity to actually showcase their senior coaching potential in the way Teague has.

Only interviewing 2 candidates doesn't diminish the process as a whole. There's a very limited pool of candidates to draw from, and once you take out the ones who wouldn't have been up for a move, and the ones we simply weren't keen on ourselves, that doesn't leave much.
I think you were being a bit harsh on Richo. He did a good job under the circumstances. The club is a basket case as Ratts is going to discover.

I think you were being a bit harsh on Richo. He did a good job under the circumstances. The club is a basket case as Ratts is going to discover.

Perhaps - still don't think he's going to be on any club's radar for a senior gig for a little while. Too much bad press associated. Same for Bolton, and possibly Brad Scott (though he has a bit more of a profile to leverage). Getting sacked mid-season doesn't make for a strong job application.

Perhaps - still don't think he's going to be on any club's radar for a senior gig for a little while. Too much bad press associated. Same for Bolton, and possibly Brad Scott (though he has a bit more of a profile to leverage). Getting sacked mid-season doesn't make for a strong job application.

I would be very surprised if they were not both coaching next year, assuming that is the path they want to go. PA will grab Richo in a minute unless ofcourse Adelaide don't beat them.

You talking senior coaching position, or assistant though?

I’m pretty sure both Richo and Bolts will be snapped up by clubs, they are quality assistants.

I’m pretty sure both Richo and Bolts will be snapped up by clubs, they are quality assistants.
Hard to say. Bolts probably will be Richo not convinced how much he will be in demand. Does he really add anything out of ordinary. Maybe football department head than coach is where he could add value to some club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teague has made it fun to be a Carlton supporter - something I haven't experienced since Ratten was coaching - that is pure gold for any Club. I'm grateful to him for that.
Can't put Teague and Ratts in the same sentence for mine as coaches. Very different beasts and in those days it was mostly Fev and Judd and Betts that did all the make it fun stuff.

View attachment 730494

Definite "Backstreet's back " vibe 😍
Starting to understand the nerd-jock thing being mentioned before.

Here he looks simultaneously like a surfer dude AND a guy who will help you reinstall Windows on your PC.

So pleased we appointed Teaguey before Ross The Boss got the flick from Freo - would have hated to get bogged down in the media frenzy that will no doubt engulf a number of clubs from here on in, and wouldn’t have wanted to risk us second guessing ourselves over who to appoint.

I’d imagine there will be nervous coaching incumbents at GWS especially, but also the Bummers, both Adelaide clubs, and possibly even the Dees. So glad we can be disinterested spectators, and not stressed out participants, in all the nonsense that is sure to follow. Should only make it easier for us to sell a vision to inbound recruits (pun intended on the rabbit front btw).

Interesting article from The Roar..That we may have gone too soon in appointing Teague full time coach now that Ross Lyon is available....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back