Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A location name gives the team a home and a place to belong, and gives people a reason to choose them over some other team. It gives people a reason to feel connected to a team.

Best example I can come up with is the Melbourne stars and Melbourne renegades. Even If they were simple the west Melbourne stars and the east Melbourne renegades, well then I'd have a reason to feel connected to and therefore support one of them. Whereas now I'm just like yay go Melbourne and if they play each other I just hope for lots of runs.

I can't think of a sports team that's been successful without having a location to call home.

West Coast Eagles are criticised for not being called after a location - the OP was looking for a geographic name for a 3rd WA team.

On your point of teams in Melbourne, there has been a tendency of sports more generally to want more teams than can garner a viable support base - its simpler than a location name.

The traditional Vic approach to helping Tas, rape the talent.

Rape the talent?

We are paying players and expenses to play in our VFL team, which has a stated aim of developing players not winning games, to show case their talent at the highest level possible so they can hopefully be drafted to ANY club.

You obviously see what you want to see not the reality of the situation.

Rape the talent?

We are paying players and expenses to play in our VFL team, which has a stated aim of developing players not winning games, to show case their talent at the highest level possible so they can hopefully be drafted to ANY club.

You obviously see what you want to see not the reality of the situation.

You across the development of NSW talent, see Jarryd Witts.

Lets see the altruistic claims delivered.
Vic makes lots of claims of helping Tas footy, history says Vic helps itself. In this case at a time when Tas has frozen talks on paying North to play in Hobart.
Self interest, mutton dressed up as lamb !!

West Coast Eagles are criticised for not being called after a location - the OP was looking for a geographic name for a 3rd WA team.

On your point of teams in Melbourne, there has been a tendency of sports more generally to want more teams than can garner a viable support base - its simpler than a location name.
I'd say west coast is fine, it's still something. Why would someone from Perth support the Eagles instead of demons? Because they're from the west coast and not Melbourne.

More like, when north Melbourne changed to be just the kangaroos to try and appeal to everyone

You across the development of NSW talent, see Jarryd Witts.

Lets see the altruistic claims delivered.
Vic makes lots of claims of helping Tas footy, history says Vic helps itself. In this case at a time when Tas has frozen talks on paying North to play in Hobart.
Self interest, mutton dressed up as lamb !!

So by paying for mature age players to play in the vfl and show case their wares to the league and stay in tassie, North is not “raping the talent”?

Seems a long winded way of saying your wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Im sure the GCS and GWS business cases were like the Tassie one too...
Read them all, have you?

Too many VIC teams to sustain a national competition model and North seem to be at the wrong place at the wrong time sadly :huh:
People keep saying this but they never seem to be able to justify why it's the case. The competition has done just fine with the current number of Victorian teams, and reducing the number by one doesn't suddenly make it not dominated by Victoria. North wiping out their debt shows they are financially sustainable.

I can't think of a sports team that's been successful without having a location to call home.
Arsenal.

People keep saying this but they never seem to be able to justify why it's the case. The competition has done just fine with the current number of Victorian teams, and reducing the number by one doesn't suddenly make it not dominated by Victoria. North wiping out their debt shows they are financially sustainable.

I think the thing is Johnny that me like others on here would actually want a "full fledged" national competition of clubs representing all of Australia and not have more then 50% of teams being placed in one state for example. That's why you see people mock the worst or even 2nd worst team in Victoria by their performance on-field and off-field (North Melbourne & St. Kilda) to relocate interstate to NT, ACT or TAS to make it more national for example.

As well as that, they would want a much rather competition in general for interstate teams to perform better then the competition being just VIC Centric given 2 teams have won the GF from Interstate in the past 10 years and the GF agreement going for until 2058.

Last edited:
So by paying for mature age players to play in the vfl and show case their wares to the league and stay in tassie, North is not “raping the talent”?

Seems a long winded way of saying your wrong.

You weaken the local game as is the hIstory of Tas/Vic footy to the extent the nursery is barren & into town marches a saviour peddling the same solution.

I think the thing is Johnny that me like others on here would actually want a "full fledged" national competition of clubs representing all of Australia and not have more then 50% of teams being placed in one state for example. That's why you see people mock the worst or even 2nd worst team in Victoria by their performance on-field and off-field (North Melbourne & St. Kilda) to relocate interstate to NT, ACT or TAS to make it more national for example.
You can want it, but economic reality comes first. Melbourne is 2.5x the size of Perth and has 6x the number of total club members compared to Sydney. If clubs were financially unsustainable in Melbourne they'd get shipped off like Souths did, or be unable to pay their creditors like what did Fitzroy in. None have done so since, and North don't look likely to now that they've cleared almost all their debt.

As well as that, they would want a much rather competition in general for interstate teams to perform better then the competition being just VIC Centric given 2 teams have won the GF from Interstate in the past 10 years and the GF agreement going for until 2058.
The issue of the GF location and every non-Vic team getting to play games at that location is a separate one, it can be solved through other means than relocating clubs.

Most Vic clubs in the last 30 years and even Port in 2011 had their legitimacy in the big league questioned.
Don't remember anything about Port in 2011, was their spot in the league genuinely under scrutiny?

Don't remember anything about Port in 2011, was their spot in the league genuinely under scrutiny?

More than a few people in the football media were questioning their validity in the AFL at the time.
Plus lest we forget how poor their attendances became, so much so that a large proportion of seats at football park were covered with giant advertising canvases.

(For the record I have the utmost respect for Port as a club and think it's fantastic the way they've come out of that dark period)

How so?

Giants and Suns business cases were always generational. Said so on multiple occasions.

AFL went in with their eyes open on it.

Supposedly the Tassie deal is they won’t require extra above the tv distribution. Why wouldn’t it be taken at that? Are the guys running the Tassie bid known to be full of it?

They are mainly business people, they ain't gunna be party to a fake assessment. It is their reputation after all & in business, that matters a lot.

Business cases are a always a bit of a leap of faith, but they have some reasonable research & substance behind them.

I think initially they said they'd need some extra, less than StKilda, North, GWS & GC to get started. Otherwise it presents as a better financial case than a lot of clubs.

The amount of small dick insecurity shown by some fans toward north is amazing.

I don't like North, I have no soft spot or anything for them, but the way some fans of other clubs carry on about them and almost take some sort of sick satisfaction about how they should be destroyed or relocated makes me vomit.

We should be trying to preserve the clubs we have in the face of big business sports and grow the game in other ways than just throwing a "smaller" club into the sarlac pit.

Most Vic clubs in the last 30 years and even Port in 2011 had their legitimacy in the big league questioned.
How about instead of trying to shoot down a club for looking for ways to survive we think about ways the governing body and comp can help the current clubs and also grow the game in other ways.

Add to the fact North aren't wanted in Tasmania.

Who cares if the AFL want to get them out of Melbourne.

North need to make their own pathway, not rely on selling games interstate for coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back