Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I said a pleb team ya nuffy.

Don't think St Kilda are contributing much to us tbh

Yeah, all those games played at Docklands, being screwed on the deal so the AFL could end up owning the stadium....no contribution at all.

Yeah, all those games played at Docklands, being screwed on the deal so the AFL could end up owning the stadium....no contribution at all.

Wonder what the poster thought of his mob getting a priority pick only 3 years ago....

Pros:
A well deserved team in Tassie.

A sick name and logo.

19 teams means a bye every week BUT probably means it's easier to fixture Thursday night games, so Thursday night games every week.

Hawks getting the hell out of there meaning more games in Melbourne.

Seems like a confident business plan in that article.

Cons:
I'm sure there are a few, but the pros are absolutely winning. Let's make this happen!

View attachment 732326

View attachment 732327
You make point about a very flexible draw with 19 teams.

1. You could have no 6 day breaks. (better player wealth)
2. Prem Thursday night games

It would kill supercoach, so no from me.

Will be happy to see all the teams play down here, instead of Hawthorn dumping the low drawing games in lonnie. Always freo, gws, gc and lions games. See how they go in Melbourne.

Surprisingly there are 10 instances where Hawthorn have played those teams in Melbourne since the Hawks started taking 4 games to Tasmania (2007)

Inc two this season (3.20pm and 4.40pm on Sunday’s against the Giants and Suns)

Fremantle (43,583, 31,925)
GWS (14,858, 17,906, 26,805)
Gold Coast (31,331, 27,532, 28,011)
Brisbane (35,492, 39,007)

That said Hawthorn have played Carlton (2016, 2019), St Kilda (2016, 2017, 2018), W Bulldogs (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) in recent years in Tasmania

In that article, Caroline Wilson indicated that Hawthorn would likely make the same if not more money by bringing the games back to Melbourne (with what I presume attendances, increased membership yield and major sponsorship opportunities)

Kennett and Reeves held talks with the task force in Launceston earlier this month and conveyed the message that they could move to depart Tasmania if the state pushed ahead with its bid for a stand-alone team. The Hawthorn view was that it could reap the same or a better financial result by playing more games at the MCG.

A move could be win - win - win for the AFL, Tasmanian football and dare I say it Hawthorn.

After 18 years the deal, I would argue, has run its race

Last edited:
I'm happy for Tassie to get a team but not as a 19th team. 18 teams is already too many, the talent pool is stretched as far enough as it is.
Perfect opportunity for the long overdue move to reduce the on-field team number from 18 to 16 (last reduced in 1898 from 20 to 18 due to increased player fitness).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Issues with attracting marquee type players and general retention will suck too.
You'd think they would be heavily reliant on local players (ones they can convince to come home plus ones they develop themselves) and I think they'd be just fine if you look at the current crop of Tasmanians in the AFL.

Rucks: Tom Bellchambers, Toby Nankervis, Andrew Phillips
Mids: Mitch Robinson, Tarryn Thomas, Hugh Greenwood, Aaron Hall
Key Forwards: Jack Riewoldt, Ben Brown
General Forwards: Chayce Jones, Maverick Weller
Key Backs: Liam Jones, Alex Pearce
General Defenders: Grant Birchall, Jake Kolodjashnij, Kade Kolodjashnij
Utility: Jeremy Howe

Add in a few high end draft picks and you have a very competitive team.

You'd think they would be heavily reliant on local players (ones they can convince to come home plus ones they develop themselves) and I think they'd be just fine if you look at the current crop of Tasmanians in the AFL.

You forgot Brody Mihocek - after yet another 4 goals from him tonight.

Friendly reminder that it's not "the talent pool being stretched too thin" so much as it is the higher emphasis on endurance running and getting to as many contests as possible. Pure footballers can't make it at the level anymore without a massive tank and they're instead replaced by gut runners with lesser skills because that's the game now.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Plus Hugh Dixon from freo, Robbie Fox, Casboult, Jackson Thurlow, Weller, Tim Mohr, and Lovell from the Hawks. Im sure ive forgotten a few too. i think for our population, our % of afl players would be up there with all the other footy states id imagine. And thats with AFL tas and the state league and all the developments league programs being an absolute shambles, now we finally have a team in the under 18 tac cup and with improved junior pathway programs and better structured leagues around the state theres a big chance that tassie would start seeing more kids getting drafted, and more mature blokes getting picked up from the state league rather than most players having to move to the vfl/sanfl etc to get picked up by an afl club.

Heart: Would love to see a team in Tasmania. They have a rich history in our game.

Head: Seems barely feasible. Small market. Launceston people won't support a Hobart team and vice versa. Who is going to want to play and more importantly, stay there outside of locals? Sponsorship? Crowds?

Tassie has half a million. That's more than Geelong, or footy fans in all of Sydney or SEQ. Its like Melbourne divided by 9 come to think of it. I'd imagine games would be split between Launceston and Hobart.

Tassie is closer to Melbourne than Perth, Sydney or Brisbane.

On the dilution. Drafted totals seem to be similar to those before expansion, despite having 12% more players on the books
I suspect careers are slightly longer rarher than the total number of afl listed players larger

In terms of each 22, if 44 extra players are turning out each week, 2.5 on each team wouldnt have been there when there were 16 teams

Those questioning whether Tassie could sustain a team financially need to look beyond the state’s population. There are plenty of Tasmanian’s on the mainland who would be happy to take out a membership even if it means they would not be able to attend a game.

I know people from all states are parochial but Tasmanian’s are net level, particularly when it comes to sport and and many won’t hesitate to make financial contributions to the club to help it stay strong.

On the name though I question whether Basketball Tasmania has some degree of ownership over the “Devils” moniker and this another option will need to be considered. Give n the agricultural background I’m a fan of the Tasmanian Harvesters bit that’s a bit out there.

Regards

S. Pete

If a victorian tassie devils membership was like the gws and gold coast now, it would sell well particularly to expat tasmanians

Entry to 11 games in the MCG AFL members, including the teams own games and the balance for any game there which is not all ticket costing around $200 per season
You could see all tassie games in melbourne and those of your other victorian team in prime seating on the wing which currently costs around $70 per game going on hawks gold membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back