Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's going to be a big white elephant by the sounds of it,very dissapointing.
Yep, that is a real chance.

The AFL is racked by self-interest, so they don't care about the viability of the stadium outside of AFL matches, and politicians can't be trusted to make a long-term decision on a project like this - look at Stadium Australia (the Olympic Stadium) for example.

That is different from what I was told but I have always believed a team would have to be based there,I just hope they can get strong crowds on a regular basis because we know how disappointing Norths crowds have become there.
Lived through it when it happened & pretty much everyone I knew were like wtf. Same with the proposed stadium at the Showgrounds. Sport was constantly used not to improve its standing and pretty much used for political advantage. i mean ffs who serious could believe the laughable footy in the north cricket in the south horseshyte. My granddaughter who was pretty high up in a statewide league club was livid. It pretty much shyte on the history of footy in the south to try and gain a few votes up north. I wish my grandfather was alive to see what Peter Gutwien has done for footy in the state. Pretty much united everyone to push in the one direction.

As for the stadium the AFL wants it built for tv purposes only. It’ll be used Thursday/Friday nights basically to beam back into mainland Australia. Pretty much a mini marvel. 23k pretty much guarantees a good atmosphere and look for tv. Whether we like it or not the AFL is pretty much sports entertainment now and will be for a long time. The pandemic just accelerated what would have happened over a decade. If you want old school can in the hand barracking from the outer your watching the wrong league for that.

A perspex roofed stadium, what is it with Tassie and plastic? They had a plastic ice skating rink a few years ago, spruiked it up along the lines of this stadium ( it will always be full, attract tourists etc.) and surprise, surprise, it was a white elephant and went broke!

The AFL just wants the game to look good on TV. The government cash means the club will be profitable from day 1. And Launceston does not have funding either so will likely have its reno scaled back to around 23k like Hobart. Smaller stadiums that are full is not a bad thing.

I'm not so sure about that. Both grounds will need to have capacity of at least 27k.

A perspex roofed stadium, what is it with Tassie and plastic? They had a plastic ice skating rink a few years ago, spruiked it up along the lines of this stadium ( it will always be full, attract tourists etc.) and surprise, surprise, it was a white elephant and went broke!

You're comparing a stadium to a temporary plastic skating rink?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the crowd drawing ability for Tasmania. Let’s have a look at a real world comparison of crowds drawn in Tasmania compared to teams in other states.

In the BBL the TAS team draws a crowd roughly between 1/3 and 1/2 of what is pulled in QLD WA and SA which both have a single team.

And between 1/4 and 1/3 of what the two team towns of Melbourne and Sydney pull from both teams.

d5a70d3e3b39d4393860079c961f7486.jpg

6a55b3cef3dd758a0176ee8e4a4436f8.jpg

Since NSW and QLD are not into their footy as much as the southern states, let’s focus on them for a comparison of if TAS had it’s own footy team.

7103af2417dcd1cc5cdf45b5f3efbf33.jpg

If TAS was to draw between 1/3 and 1/2 of the number of footy spectators as WA or SA does with their two teams each over a fortnight (similar to the BBL comparison), TAS might draw between 20,000 and 40,000 to a game.

If TAS was to draw between 1/4 and 1/3 of the number of footy spectators as VIC phenomenally does with its ten teams over a fortnight (similar to the BBL comparison), it could draw between 90,000 and 120,000. But that’s a little less likely because of the specialness of having ten AFL teams in VIC.

The point is, despite Tasmania’s smaller and divided population, they seems to be able to hold their own against the mainland for sports crowds for their own team.

The AFL just wants the game to look good on TV. The government cash means the club will be profitable from day 1. And Launceston does not have funding either so will likely have its reno scaled back to around 23k like Hobart. Smaller stadiums that are full is not a bad thing.
There needs to be scope to expand the stadiums though look at my state arena they spent all that money renovating it and the jack jumpers have outgrown it already

There needs to be scope to expand the stadiums though look at my state arena they spent all that money renovating it and the jack jumpers have outgrown it already

Short sighted. We get use to that here.

The DEC was built near 30 years ago. So renovating & not expanding in line with what the population is now, & the needs of other users was just the sort of dumb thing we're seeing with this current roofed stadium crap. 23k is too small.

The last decent Utas game Hawks v Essendon saw a packed ground. That would have been way exceeded that if a Tassie team was playing Essendon.

Short sighted. We get use to that here.

The DEC was built near 30 years ago. So renovating & not expanding in line with what the population is now, & the needs of other users was just the sort of dumb thing we're seeing with this current roofed stadium crap. 23k is too small.

The last decent Utas game Hawks v Essendon saw a packed ground. That would have been way exceeded that if a Tassie team was playing Essendon.
Exactly I think it’s a reasonable prediction to say any game we play against the larger vic teams could easily draw 30k .if that happens a couple times a year it’s well worth having the extra capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back