Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in 5 years you think Tasmania will be able to produce 19 AFL standard players?

There's 24 on AFL lists now that I can count, including guys that's have been in the comp for 7-10+ years.
Fair bit of delusion here
They don't have to 'produce' them all - they will grab many of the AFL players from Tas on other AFL lists in 2026 - 2030. Yes, they can draft/produce 10 - 12 between 2026 - 2030 and bring another 10 or so over via trades and FA over those first five years. Definitely achievable.

Most players don’t drink? Lol

Player retention shouldn’t be an issue because you should be able to fix the pathways in the medium term and be self sustainable
Most players don't go out and get pissed like they they used to, no, not since the invention of the smartphone. Nightlife is the last thing on players' minds. There are enough decent restaurants in Hobart for anyone to go out and get a good steak and a glass of red, but nightclubs is not how players meet girls anymore.

Playing for Tassie will be like playing for Geelong or Adelaide - big fish in a small, but passionate pond. Most draftees are footy nuts. Compared to the wasteland that is GC and GWS, they will love being part of it.

Reflecting on Eddie and Sicily's comments - this is more an indication of an out of date perspective of Tasmania given the advent of a team will have a signfiicant change to the Tasmanian landscape (particularly Hobart). A lot of my mates left Tassie years ago due to lack of opportunities, and who can blame them as it was pretty stark back in the day and a constant frustration that Tassie was effectively overlooked in most parts (it was rare to have a good singer or comedian or any type of production coming to town).

However, the creation of MONA and things such as Dark MoFo have made noticable changes to people here and becoming more attractive to visitors. It hasn't been just the change to tourism but a change to the local as well which cannot be understated.

A team will have a significiant impact - stating the current state of the state will continue into perpetuity is flat out ridiculous and frankly, juvenile.

Most players don't go out and get pissed like they they used to, no, not since the invention of the smartphone. Nightlife is the last thing on players' minds. There are enough decent restaurants in Hobart for anyone to go out and get a good steak and a glass of red, but nightclubs is not how players meet girls anymore.

Playing for Tassie will be like playing for Geelong or Adelaide - big fish in a small, but passionate pond. Most draftees are footy nuts. Compared to the wasteland that is GC and GWS, they will love being part of it.
Okay granddad

You're comparing the 80's + 90's (the comp was barely professional then- hell we won flags out of a portaloo with next to no gym) to now. It's not going to work like that.
The league should have been pumping money into the Tasmanian development Leagues for decades before admitting them. But they completely neglected the state.
Don't get me wrong I want to see the club be strong, but there's alot of head in the sand stuff/she'll be right we've got a team all the kids will drop basketball/soccer/whatever ITT.

Not sure who's being that flippant about it all. Certainly won't be easy. It'll take a lot of work to regain interest, re-engage with kids & community. Let alone build a team, the infrastructure, the management & the Brand.

Reflecting on Eddie and Sicily's comments - this is more an indication of an out of date perspective of Tasmania given the advent of a team will have a signfiicant change to the Tasmanian landscape (particularly Hobart). A lot of my mates left Tassie years ago due to lack of opportunities, and who can blame them as it was pretty stark back in the day and a constant frustration that Tassie was effectively overlooked in most parts (it was rare to have a good singer or comedian or any type of production coming to town).

However, the creation of MONA and things such as Dark MoFo have made noticable changes to people here and becoming more attractive to visitors. It hasn't been just the change to tourism but a change to the local as well which cannot be understated.

A team will have a significiant impact - stating the current state of the state will continue into perpetuity is flat out ridiculous and frankly, juvenile.

Yep. I think MONA made a huge difference to attitudes here, & perceptions elsewhere.
it brought attention to the place. Hobart has grown from that.

We do have a lot of Nimbys. The annoyingly noisy ones. They think their personal lifestyle is all that matters.

I think Premier Gutwein & now Rockliff have given them the middle finger & moved on.

Onwards & Upwards. ;)

Eddie's a feral bogan Broady boy - Sicily just made a massive guffaw.

Is Tassie has the start of the art facilities for the players- better than when the Suns and GWS started they'll have an instant edge.

It's not for for VIC kids to travel so i'm sure they'll target VIC and TAS kids with the draft.

Doesn't needs to have a roof - ideally needs to be 30k minimum and with high grandstands to help curtail the wind

Get the Indians to build it - they do their cricket stadiums for a cheap cost but for a great atmosphere

There's no amount of money that would convince most of my mates to move away from Tassie. Plenty of country boys in the AFL, too.

Not really a state for your soft hands types like Sicily to be fair lol
It's about as ridiculous as saying that there is nothing much around Geelong and most players wouldn't want to play there.

I think that the problem with Eddie is that once he thinks he has identified a problem he automatically thinks that being the smartest the room that it's up to him to identify a solution without putting too much thought into it.

I found him a bit embarrassing on Footy Classified last night. Went round in circles kept stating that it is important to get the stadium right but couldn't acknowledge that it is close to happening. Pushed for a friend to be asked to help out. Thought that it might be a defacto relocation.

Kept noting that he was in favour then every sentence started with "but". Mentioned the passion that Riewoldt and richo etc had but noted "they all came to Victoria to play" as if they had a Tassie option.

It's interesting that a lot of they "we think Tassie should have a team however..........." discussion appears to be coming from Eddie, Jeff Browne and his pinocchio son. Interesting isn't it.

I think that the problem with Eddie is that once he thinks he has identified a problem he automatically thinks that being the smartest the room that it's up to him to identify a solution without putting too much thought into it.

I found him a bit embarrassing on Footy Classified last night. Went round in circles kept stating that it is important to get the stadium right but couldn't acknowledge that it is close to happening. Pushed for a friend to be asked to help out. Thought that it might be a defacto relocation.

Kept noting that he was in favour then every sentence started with "but". Mentioned the passion that Riewoldt and richo etc had but noted "they all came to Victoria to play" as if they had a Tassie option.

It's interesting that a lot of they "we think Tassie should have a team however..........." discussion appears to be coming from Eddie, Jeff Browne and his pinocchio son. Interesting isn't it.
Eddie's is a narcissist and an arrogant w***er. He always thinks he's the smartest person in the room but he's just a guy always pushing some sort of agenda.

This is ridiculous. It's a barely noticeable difference to Melbourne. In fact, I've never felt colder than being in middle of Melbourne when a cold wind gets blowing between the buildings. Launceston, maybe as they get into the negatives overnights but Hobart is hardly any different, both southern city on the water, you won't be getting mid 20s at either.
1682560666723.png

A few degrees colder every month

He keeps changing his criteria for a Tassie team , last time he spoke about it he said the Tassie government needs to build a stadium …now he just keeps adding more criteria’s and keeps kicking the idea down

I’m glad it’s not up to him he’s a imbecile

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retention is a potential issue, we shouldn't shy away from that.
You're talking about 18-19 year old young men moving from other parts of Australia, each draft, there will be at least one who wants to return to their home state as quickly as possible.
That will be a perpetual issue for the new Tassie team.
Thing about retention is… I don’t know a single young person who has ever, nor would ever want to, move to Adelaide.

Yet they retain players okay.
On field results have the biggest influence on player retention . Players like winning get a competitive team as soon as possible and you will retain players . That’s why the suns haven’t retained players

Eddie's a feral bogan Broady boy - Sicily just made a massive guffaw.

Is Tassie has the start of the art facilities for the players- better than when the Suns and GWS started they'll have an instant edge.

It's not for for VIC kids to travel so i'm sure they'll target VIC and TAS kids with the draft.

Doesn't needs to have a roof - ideally needs to be 30k minimum and with high grandstands to help curtail the wind

Get the Indians to build it - they do their cricket stadiums for a cheap cost but for a great atmosphere
Pretty sure no EPL stadium has a roof does it? England's winter is a lot colder than Tassie, people still turn up and watch and tune in.

Eddie has no idea, the sooner he's off AFL tv the better

I think Sicily has a point. In Tasmania it's extremely cold during winter, especially by Australian standards. What players recruited from states other than Victoria will want to live there? And for Victorians they would miss out on the media opportunities and life outside the game would be much quieter than Melbourne. Maybe some players enjoy the quiet life, but look at Geelong they mainly recruit older players from other clubs. Unfortunately can't see it working, even though the Tasmanian fans deserve it.
Agreed, those minus 20 mornings in Launny take some getting used to.

Just out of interest are some of your mates coming back as they get older?

Reason I ask is that experienced same thing when growing up in Geelong 70s and 80s. Nearly everyone when they hit 18-20 left to go to Melbourne. Thing is though, from about 2000s onwards a hell of a lot returned, making the decision that the area (and the Peninsula) was a great place to live and raise a family.

Just out of interest are some of your mates coming back as they get older?

Reason I ask is that experienced same thing when growing up in Geelong 70s and 80s. Nearly everyone when they hit 18-20 left to go to Melbourne. Thing is though, from about 2000s onwards a hell of a lot returned, making the decision that the area (and the Peninsula) was a great place to live and raise a family.
Many have - Tassies biggest export for the last 30 years has been young people but most return with families later on.

Eddie's is a narcissist and an arrogant w***er. He always thinks he's the smartest person in the room but he's just a guy always pushing some sort of agenda.

He said why not sell Bellerive - don’t need two stadia close together. Is this the same Eddie who thought a 60k stadium across the tracks from the MCG was the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back