Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He's talking about games in which we hold an actual advantage

Serious question, would you prefer a schedule where Richmond played an interstate team 10 out of 11 times at the MCG, and 11 games outside Victoria?

Each has its pros and cons, it is what it is, but let's not attempt to state that it's much better being an interstate team in the AFL.

Serious question, would you prefer a schedule where Richmond played an interstate team 10 out of 11 times at the MCG, and 11 games outside Victoria?

Each has its pros and cons, it is what it is, but let's not attempt to state that it's much better being an interstate team in the AFL.
As long as the games where we have an advantage roughly cancel out those where we have a disadvantage - I’m content. And I’m arguing that we have that. Others are arguing that our streak at the G means we don’t - to which the obvious counter is that we were at a disadvantage earlier in the year, which has been made up for later.

It’s a much of a much, in reality it pretty well evens out in the end, granted that the GF at the MCG would be a hard thing to take if you had to play as the home team against an MCG tenant, but wasn’t sprung on interstate sides when joining.
Funny thing is that the record got non Vic sides against Vic sides in GFs is more then respectable.

The team that gets the best of both worlds ironically complains the most about how the system is agains them...

Seen a few in here put the Pies as a contender. Must have watched a completely different Collingwood to me nearly all season. They'll definitely need gastro on their side to get past the Eagles or Tigers and would have to play a lot better than they have recently to beat the Cats or Lions.
Not saying we are contenders right now, but the suggestion we haven't been all season is a bit silly.

Just looking at the top 4 above us, we've beaten Richmond by 44, Brisbane by 62 at the Gabba, lost to Geelong by a Goal and beat West Coast in W.A. We had a real form slump after the bye right at the same time as we had 15 players injured in 5 weeks, which really derailed our season.

No doubt our form over the last 2 months have been patchy but at times this year, we definitely looked like competing.

Seen a few in here put the Pies as a contender. Must have watched a completely different Collingwood to me nearly all season. They'll definitely need gastro on their side to get past the Eagles or Tigers and would have to play a lot better than they have recently to beat the Cats or Lions.
Given Collingwood have already beaten the Eagles, Tigers and Lions this season, maybe you missed those games. Also 7 point loss to the Cats, not exactly blown out of the water.

Understand why you wouldn't rate the Pies as a Freo supporter (given you beat us on the 'G during our lean spell), but should we sneak into 4th we are as good a chance as anyone...

I'd be more worried playing the Pies at the GABBA than Richmond, especially if they get some of their players back week 1 of the finals.

I'd be more worried playing the Pies at the GABBA than Richmond, especially if they get some of their players back week 1 of the finals.
I am not being a dick, just interested to know why ?

I ask because in the 9 years we have played at the Gabba we have won....
Screenshot_20190819-160806.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It hurts because its true imagine the uproar if Eagles stayed at home for 3 months and won the flag think about it ?

Geelong most likely will finish first but have to play Richmond on their home deck.........

I cant believe the AFL has allowed it to work like this unbelievable !!
Yes indeed, how dare Richmond play other Victorian teams at their home ground, which also happens to be the mcg. How dare Richmond have the same number of home games as other clubs (11).

On behalf of this blatant cheating I award us no points and may god have mercy on our souls

Richmond are my pick now. Aside from last week's narrow win over West Coast, they've been walking over everyone since the bye. I think their advantage at the G is going to be too big for the other teams to close.

Geelong seriously get over it !! Talk about a Richmond phobia . Wish we could play you at Krapdinia Park just to smack you with our near full strength team . And your coach , wow , very graceful.....Not. Worst looser(s) ever , Cameron kicks five , and says he had no influence ??? Pffttt I think he's feeling the pressure a bit … Cats straight sets for me !

I think we actually learned more about West Coast than Richmond on the weekend.

Given they went down by a goal in the 30th minute of the game, in the absolute worst conditions for them, away from home, against the flag favorite, I think the MCG holds no fears for them (clearly), and they just reaffirmed for me they are the team to beat.

For the second week in a row Tigers were, to some degree, blessed by shocking weather (West Coast looked like running over them, but also Carlton were coming hard last week before the rain hit). They have a gameplan that relies on very little skill, which is why they play the wet so well compared to other sides. A lot of hacking it forward at all costs, which sounds like a criticism but it's actually a strength.

If West Coast gets home finals until the Grand Final, good luck everyone else...

Geelong seriously get over it !! Talk about a Richmond phobia . Wish we could play you at Krapdinia Park just to smack you with our near full strength team . And your coach , wow , very graceful.....Not. Worst looser(s) ever , Cameron kicks five , and says he had no influence ??? Pffttt I think he's feeling the pressure a bit … Cats straight sets for me !

Most hilarious comment of the year by Chris Scott re Charlie Cameron. Charlie has kicked 5 out of his team's 10 goals in a game they won by a point. Nah, no influence on the game whatsoever Chris

I am not being a dick, just interested to know why ?

I ask because in the 9 years we have played at the Gabba we have won....
That's pretty much the same for any team that's been down the ladder for the better part of a decade

For me Collingwood are the sleeping giant and just cruising. Will defiantly make a Semi final and would not want to meet them at the MCG for it to be neutral again. Same goes with the Bulldogs both very dangerous atm.
On a side note loved the WC meltdown on Sunday and now they're preying for us to beat Brisbane. Funny week in footy 🤪!!

Sunday showed that both teams can have the others measure when up and about. Don't think it changes much of the conversation that was being had prior. Still the same teams that are very much in it.

Given they went down by a goal in the 30th minute of the game, in the absolute worst conditions for them, away fr
For the second week in a row Tigers were, to some degree, blessed by shocking weather (West Coast looked like running over them, but also Carlton were coming hard last week before the rain hit).
West Coast looked like running over us? We cut a 5 goal lead they had over us in the first qtr to just 10 points going into half time. We played better than them in the second qtr and already had the momentum before the rain struck.

Back