Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't followed this thread closely so I appologise in advance if it's been covered but wondering if that if a player from any club during the season re-start tests positive to covid will that pretty much be the death knell for the remainder of the season?

I haven't followed this thread closely so I appologise in advance if it's been covered but wondering if that if a player from any club during the season re-start tests positive to covid will that pretty much be the death knell for the remainder of the season?

No, they'll just be isolated as per normal.

I'm not sure how they'd do that as the whole squad would probs have to go into isolation for 14 days along with any opposition team(s) that they may have encountered.

They're testing everyone twice a week. Pretty easy to track and trace.

So I'm assuming that as our illustrious Police Commissioner has now signed off on the march tomorrow, we'll be allowed 5000 into the Showdown the following week

So I'm assuming that as our illustrious Police Commissioner has now signed off on the march tomorrow, we'll be allowed 5000 into the Showdown the following week
The point of our police and government is obviously to avoid a tinderbox situation by not banning it. If they ban it people might not listen anyway and it may cause more problems but I am a bit pissed off with protesters not using their brains in this current situation. If these protests cause a big upsurge in the virus here there could be massive effects on our economy and lives going forward, Indigenous lives included. There really has to be another way. Also I would hope our players don’t get involved. There are other ways to have a voice.
We will see in the coming weeks whether NSW banning it or SA trying to get people to use common sense was the better tactic. It only requires a few protesters to try to
agitate the situation and we are stuffed .

Protests have come at the worst possible time

Maybe Glad the Impaler doesn't want another Ruby Princess?

Meanwhile back in SA Grant Stevens won't allow 40 tested and quarantined footballers to FIFO but he will allow 4,000 of the great unwashed to gather in Victoria Square. :huh:

I have no issue with indigenous people protesting, the white middle class student types are just horny for an outlet though and look even that's fine to an extent but I feel like it's more of a cabin fever emotion burst.
Black people protesting is worthless without more people joining in.

They have never stopped protesting, nobody listens, it is only other people from the community joining in that enhances their voice.

I reckon many the looney lefties who decide to show solidarity with protestors in the US will see the COVIDSafe app as an infringement on their civil liberty and will not have bothered to downloaded it.
Yes, you'd be a right nutter to support civil rights eh!

This has been a major bugbear of mine for most of this, the inconsistency of what you can and cannot do. This is just another addition to that list.

Shopping malls has been the biggest 'what the *?' of this whole situation.

Yes, you can go for a bushwalk, but remember to stay 1.5m away from fellow hikers. Meanwhile.

12231818-3x2-xlarge.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black people protesting is worthless without more people joining in.

They have never stopped protesting, nobody listens, it is only other people from the community joining in that enhances their voice.
That's why I said it's not bad to an extent but lets not kid ourselves here it's motivated by the situation in the USA and nothing to do with being in touch with indigenous issues.

'As fast as we can': CSL vows to manufacture UQ COVID-19 vaccine if successful

Lots of hurdles to jump but CSL believes that as many as 100 million doses could be available by late next year if the clinical trials of a vaccine being developed by the University of Queensland are successful. The plan is to mass produce the vaccine out of CSL's Melbourne production facilities.

Still very early days. A phase one trial isn't expected to start until July.

That's why I said it's not bad to an extent but lets not kid ourselves here it's motivated by the situation in the USA and nothing to do with being in touch with indigenous issues.
True, but this is encouraging people to look in the mirror, and thatonly a good thing.

If they go on with it into the future and prove they are genuine and not just USA prompted noise.
You'll get a percentage that will and a percenatage that wont.
Indigenous rights were very closely connected to US civil rights in the 60's and have remained so to this day. The US mirror helps massively.

Shopping malls has been the biggest 'what the fu**?' of this whole situation.

Yes, you can go for a bushwalk, but remember to stay 1.5m away from fellow hikers. Meanwhile.

12231818-3x2-xlarge.jpg
It's almost as if caplitalism is the prob... ah sod it, nobody cares.

I think you are right. If people want to protest against deaths in custody they have a right to do it but at the right time which is not now. The US has a problem which goes back centuries but it is their problem not ours. We have enough of our own to deal with.

Hopefully those attending will observe social distancing and there will not be a problem.

Last edited:

Protests have come at the worst possible time

Common sense. People are missing out on seeing their loved one's before they die due to restrictions. If we continue down the right track people can protest all they want in a month or two and not risk spikes in numbers. If we are restricting social gatherings everywhere else, it's a no brainer not to allow large protests at this time, no matter how justified the cause.

This has been a major bugbear of mine for most of this, the inconsistency of what you can and cannot do. This is just another addition to that list.
If they say no it could open a hornet’s nest. The SA police would not want this to go ahead anymore than anyone else does but they have tried to take a reasonable approach in exceptional times, you need to understand the nuances.

'As fast as we can': CSL vows to manufacture UQ COVID-19 vaccine if successful

Lots of hurdles to jump but CSL believes that as many as 100 million doses could be available by late next year if the clinical trials of a vaccine being developed by the University of Queensland are successful. The plan is to mass produce the vaccine out of CSL's Melbourne production facilities.

Still very early days. A phase one trial isn't expected to start until July.

I tell ya, I am all for vaccines..but this one feels way way too rushed.

FOXTEL just announced that crowds will be allowed back into NRL games as early as next week.

One minute Glad does not allow a protest the next she is OK with crowds at sport.

Probably have to wait for the full details to see what controls are in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back