Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda tired of Vic bashing I mean lots of us have family there and it's concerning, Andrews is a *ingg moron though.
ALOT of people in SA have the old inferiority complex going on. It's almost like crows fans jealousy of Port 🤣

Some parts of SA are great but to be fair I'd rather be locked down in Victoria then live in SA these days.

That guarantee was absolute madness. If the AFL don't go back on it, it'll be the end of the season. Football in Victoria is going to be untenable.

It won't happen. The AFL (and indeed, the various governments) have been a step behind reality at nearly every stage. Let's not forget only two weeks ago they scheduled us to play against St Kilda in R7 - everyone here went WTF at the time and about a week later it was cancelled.

The best way to sell it to the players is to make them realise that playing football outside Victoria will bring near total freedom in terms of movement outside footy hours, training, flying, there will be crowds at games, etc. Go back to Victoria and it's back to strict protocols, no crowds, etc. It's better for everyone that we just forget about Victoria for the rest of the season.

6 weeks hard lockdown takes Vics from the equivalent of 22nd March ScoMo announcements of businesses shuttered, huge line ups at centrelink to early May when all bar the 2 big states had proved they were on top of things but needed another 4 weeks of low numbers to confirm it to start opening things up.

10 weeks takes us to Rd 15. If Victoria in 10 weeks time is where WA and SA were in mid June, the AFL will still be doing everything possible to have finals and the GF at the MCG.

They will probably bring the Vic teams back for 2 weeks after 6 weeks away and have a bye week or two weeks of byes.

They will push things back to late November if need be, because test/international and national cricket probably won't be played at the MCG in November.

Andrews has had an absolute shocker:

Victoria had a terrible rate of testing in the early days, it was only in May they finally got their act together and started testing at a good rate. As it has been shown test and trace is the only way to get on top of this.

The meatworks outbreak was a stuff up by Vic Health, the guy who tested positive was still going to work.

Andrews knocked back the offer from the ADF to help out, instead using Dodgey Brothers Incorporated.

The ridiculous procedure where overseas returning travellers could refuse testing and just be released into the public - I wonder why there is so many cases in the community, who could see that coming :drunk:

The petulant "SA, why would you want to go there" comment, not a good look - get your own house in order.

Giving the green light to the BLM protest when the virus was still present in the community, the wider public saw 10k march together and said stuff it no more social distancing for me.

His Vic Health deputy making political statements instead of focusing on her work, no wonder Vic Health have bungled so much.

He should have shut the metro area down 7 days ago, it was clear as a day the cat was out the bag and yet he choose the easy target of the government housing blocks of flats instead of making the tough decision.

These are just some things that have filtered across the border, I'm sure he has made other stuff ups.

But yeh, if you ignore all this he has done a good job.

Yes you are exactly right as Daniel Andrews has stuffed up the reopening phase. He was OK during the lock down but that was the easy bit.

Andrews clearly took his foot off the brake too early and in mid May he went from a Stage 3 shut down to '500 in pubs by mid July'. As soon as the masses heard that they thought, 'it's over' and started planning unauthorised religious festivals, parties of 50 people and extended family gatherings. These activities started several of the COVID clusters that have plagued suburban Melbourne. Daniel should have shut up and eased the restrictions slowly.

At one stage Victoria's opening up phase was ahead of SA where we only went to Stage 2 lockdown. If Daniel had his time again I am pretty sure he would do things differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrews clearly took his foot off the brake too early and in mid May he went from a Stage 3 shut down to '500 in pubs by mid July'. As soon as the masses heard that they thought, 'it's over' and started planning unauthorised religious festivals, parties of 50 people and extended family gatherings. These activities started several of the COVID clusters that have plagued suburban Melbourne. Daniel should have shut up and eased the restrictions slowly.

I see it a bit differently. The public started gathering in bigger groups before the restrictions started easing. Basically, as soon as you had the National Cabinet suggesting that things might, all going well, open up soonish, people started filling the local Westfields more and more. Around Mothers' Day, you have a big campaign from the conservative press and politicians putting pressure on to open things up faster. That included the shadow health minister sharing tweets like this

The point being that she seemed happy that people were no longer adhering to advice to stay home.

That was almost a full month before the BLM rally, which the government was definitely not supportive of (to the extent of dropping stories to the media about attendees intending to spit on police).

Basically, what you had was people getting impatient with the restrictions placed on them and thus more willing to get out and try to do normal things.

In relation to the current outbreak, it is a combination of government choosing to use private security (a massive mistake but in the context of services in Victoria after Kennett, not unusual at all), the complacency mentioned above, workers on precarious casual contracts needing to keep working even when symptomatic, the close quarters of Housing Commission units here and just utter bad luck.

Where Andrews has failed IMO is in things like the hard lockdown of the towers, where it has been implemented in a punitive and sudden way.

Where Andrews has failed IMO is in things like the hard lockdown of the towers, where it has been implemented in a punitive and sudden way.

So how else are you going to do it? Andrews had to act fast and decisively. Those towers are infected and the residents are in no worse a position than overseas travelers asked to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel room. If someone knocked on every door in those towers and said 'stay at home' and left it at that do you honestly think they would stay at home? The whole problem is that people have not followed the rules and there is no reason to suggest the tower residents would be any different.

The problem I have with the towers is not that people are being quarantined but like the Melbourne hotels fiasco the quarantine is not being managed properly. The article below paints a picture of more poor management.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...rantine-infection-cluster-at-melbourne-towers

I was watching Sunrise this morning and a representative from Coles said his chain was organising regular food distribution to the towers so hopefully things sre on the improve.

So how else are you going to do it? Andrews had to act fast and decisively. Those towers are infected and the residents are in no worse a position than overseas travelers asked to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel room. If someone knocked on every door in those towers and said 'stay at home' and left it at that do you honestly think they would stay at home? The whole problem is that people have not followed the rules and there is no reason to suggest the tower residents would be any different.

The problem I have with the towers is not that people are being quarantined but like the Melbourne hotels fiasco the quarantine is not being managed properly. The article below paints a picture of more poor management.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...rantine-infection-cluster-at-melbourne-towers

I was watching Sunrise this morning and a representative from Coles said his chain was organising regular food distribution to the towers so hopefully things sre on the improve.

It's more that it was a foreseeable problem that could have been, should have been prepared for. Using police as the front line to enforce the lockdown was also problematic, considering there is a long-standing problem with relationships between police and some of the groups in the towers.

A doctor at the St Vincent's Hospital in Melbourne has tested positive. 15 staff have been sent into quarantine.

You're seeing more examples like this - clinical staff in hospitals testing positive. Anyone testing positive is bad enough. But I feel more sorry for clinical staff who are putting their health on the line in treating covid patients. Some may have contracted the virus in the community but I'm guessing the workplace is the major source.

It won't happen. The AFL (and indeed, the various governments) have been a step behind reality at nearly every stage. Let's not forget only two weeks ago they scheduled us to play against St Kilda in R7 - everyone here went WTF at the time and about a week later it was cancelled.

The best way to sell it to the players is to make them realise that playing football outside Victoria will bring near total freedom in terms of movement outside footy hours, training, flying, there will be crowds at games, etc. Go back to Victoria and it's back to strict protocols, no crowds, etc. It's better for everyone that we just forget about Victoria for the rest of the season.

Spot on the AFL has been playing catch up with the COVID-19 situation for the past fortnight at least.

Even if this lockdown lasts six weeks Andrews will be wary of easing restrictions too quickly and AFL teams may not be able to get back to full training in Victoria. I guess if the Victorian clubs do get back to Melbourne inside of six weeks but cannot train the AFL will simply apply the same restrictions to interstate clubs and we will be back to training in groups of ten.

Spot on the AFL has been playing catch up with the COVID-19 situation for the past fortnight at least.

Even if this lockdown lasts six weeks Andrews will be wary of easing restrictions too quickly and AFL teams may not be able to get back to full training in Victoria. I guess if the Victorian clubs do get back to Melbourne inside of six weeks but cannot train the AFL will simply apply the same restrictions to interstate clubs and we will be back to training in groups of ten.

Nah we go to conference mode. Victoria plays Victoria we play the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back