Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually agree with Jumbo on this. Most of the country now has covid seeded in the community. All states are now at least 80% vaccinated, some much higher. Within a month or so all states will be pushing 90%. Whether you like it or not, that remaining percentage is going to be hard to get and frankly won't make a dramatic impact anyway. Time to move on as they're doing successfully in Sydney. I mean, if not now, then when?

Actually agree with Jumbo on this. Most of the country now has covid seeded in the community. All states are now at least 80% vaccinated, some much higher. Within a month or so all states will be pushing 90%. Whether you like it or not, that remaining percentage is going to be hard to get and frankly won't make a dramatic impact anyway. Time to move on as they're doing successfully in Sydney. I mean, if not now, then when?

Once all of the vulnerable have had the opportunity to have a booster?
Once our health system has increased its budgets and resourcing to allow for it?
Once the media have something else to talk about?
Once the states and feds agree to consistent policies and procedures?

How long do they need?
I suspect as long as we let them.

Won't know until we try, plenty enough are double vaxxed and if not is the individuals right - rip the bloody bandaid off.
Over reacting (ie. being more cautious initially) can be scaled back if we find Omicron offers little harm, whereas you can’t fix acting too late. When the cat is out of the bag, it’s well and truly out. Perhaps we wait a little longer for more data, no matter how frustrating that is?

Over reacting (ie. being more cautious initially) can be scaled back if we find Omicron offers little harm, whereas you can’t fix acting too late. When the cat is out of the bag, it’s well and truly out. Perhaps we wait a little longer for more data, no matter how frustrating that is?
And then we can wait for the next variant and the next variant.

Interesting stuff from RSA.

The Omicrom surge started in late November, so there has been probably close to two weeks since it started taking off. This is their current cases:
1638924144834.png

Here is their death rates:
1638924198968.png

Unlike the first two waves where there was a fairly swift increase in death rates in line with the surges in cases, so far the Omicrom surge has had little effect.

Obviously still too early to tell, but these are extremely good signs for the Delta-killer.

Also an update on NZ as we are now living with vax passports since Friday.

Generally what's happened is stores and restaurants have put up A4 printed signs saying "We are now checking vaccine passports. Please have them at the ready. You need a vaccine passport to come inside. Blah blah blah"

However that's all they're doing. Nobody is actually checking the vaccine passports - even large chains. It almost seems like everyone has on their own come to the same conclusion and course of action. I've had my papers checked exactly once so far.

Also an update on NZ as we are now living with vax passports since Friday.

Generally what's happened is stores and restaurants have put up A4 printed signs saying "We are now checking vaccine passports. Please have them at the ready. You need a vaccine passport to come inside. Blah blah blah"

However that's all they're doing. Nobody is actually checking the vaccine passports - even large chains. It almost seems like everyone has on their own come to the same conclusion and course of action. I've had my papers checked exactly once so far.

It's almost like it's totally unrealistic to expect a small business or even a larger business to pay someone a full time wage to check to see if people are vaccinated.

This is a classic problem with bureaucrats. In the public service, if you need an extra staff member, you just run the request up the chain and hey presto the money is there. In the real world, money actually needs to be earned and spent judiciously.

This is a classic problem with bureaucrats. In the public service, if you need an extra staff member, you just run the request up the chain and hey presto the money is there. In the real world, money actually needs to be earned and spent judiciously.

Which department is that and how do I get a job there?

There's definitely a shitload of department wastage and poor spending, but the libs tend to cut the public sector to s**t to the point most departments are chronically underfunded and understaffed.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff from RSA.

The Omicrom surge started in late November, so there has been probably close to two weeks since it started taking off. This is their current cases:
View attachment 1294046

Here is their death rates:
View attachment 1294048

Unlike the first two waves where there was a fairly swift increase in death rates in line with the surges in cases, so far the Omicrom surge has had little effect.

Obviously still too early to tell, but these are extremely good signs for the Delta-killer.

Vaccines, it's almost like they massively reduce the risk of death..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which department is that and how do I get a job there?

There's definitely a shitload of department wastage and poor spending, but the libs tend to cut the public sector to sh*t to the point most departments are chronically underfunded and understaffed.

I've worked in government, I know what it's like. But if you really required a staff member for some specific compliance reason like checking vaccination passports, it would be done.

The point is, the people who come up with stupid regulations like checking vaccination passports have never worked in small business and don't understand what it's like when you're spending your own money rather than other people's money.

Health authorities in Queensland have declared a “first in the world” strain of the Omicron variant has been discovered as leaders continue to mull over a response to the evolving outbreaks.
National cabinet will meet on Friday to co-ordinate responses to the new Covid-19 variant as mystery surrounds the potency of the strain.
Queensland will fling its borders open to interstate travellers on Monday, but Health Minister Yvette D’Ath warned the discovery was further evidence policies would need to be flexible to respond to the evolving pandemic.
Ms D’Ath said authorities were labelling the new strain “Omicron-like” at this stage.
“This is a new variant,” she told reporters on Wednesday morning.
“Remember, it’s only been days since this has become an issue for Australia and other countries.
“And now, today, we are standing here announcing a new version of Omicron and it’s a first in the world.

Vaccines, it's almost like they massively reduce the risk of death..

Not sure what you are saying here. Gauteng doesnt have extremely high vaccination rates. If Omicron was a game changer with low vaccine evasion we would be seeing an explosion in deaths in the unvaccinated.

We still may, knock on wood I hope we dont, but the evidence doesnt point that way at this time.

Health authorities in Queensland have declared a “first in the world” strain of the Omicron variant has been discovered as leaders continue to mull over a response to the evolving outbreaks.
National cabinet will meet on Friday to co-ordinate responses to the new Covid-19 variant as mystery surrounds the potency of the strain.
Queensland will fling its borders open to interstate travellers on Monday, but Health Minister Yvette D’Ath warned the discovery was further evidence policies would need to be flexible to respond to the evolving pandemic.
Ms D’Ath said authorities were labelling the new strain “Omicron-like” at this stage.
“Remember, it’s only been days since this has become an issue for Australia and other countries.
“And now, today, we are standing here announcing a new version of Omicron and it’s a first in the world.

Pizza Box mk 2

It's almost like it's totally unrealistic to expect a small business or even a larger business to pay someone a full time wage to check to see if people are vaccinated.

Yeah it definitely seems like nonsense policy.

The idea here was that the staff currently in stores would check. Basically drastically increasing the chances of people on min wage facing abuse.

Also I s**t you not, theyve said that if you were to have a house party you would need to check the vax passports of your guests lol. From around 5:00 in the below:

Lolling at this article making it sound like one of the all time great Australian achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back