Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be quite happy with a change to online shopping for supermarkets.
The one thing I do want to be able to pick for myself is fresh fruit and veg. This could be an opportunity for independent local fruit and veg shops to flourish again. Same with local butchers, etc.

Ironically everyone touching the fruit and veg checking freshness is possibly the worst thing that could happen.

I don't understand the frustration at this. Maybe it's because people aren't used to the way exponents and rates work? It completely makes sense to me. She's saying that while cases are obviously increasing, the rate of growth in cases isn't increasing. This is 100% the critical factor for keeping exponential growth down.

It still sounds a bit clunky though. The way you said it is much clearer. Or better yet just say the rate of infection is decreasing.

I am starting to think maybe Woolies are using the crisis to change people's shopping patterns. Why pay the exorbitant rental in shopping centres when all you need is a web site, a strategically placed warehouse, a bunch of trolley pushers, and a fleet of delivery vans? All the time Woolies are attempting to change our shopping patterns telling us how they have our best interests at heart. Maybe I am drawing too long a bow?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they've been doing this for at least ten years.

It still sounds a bit clunky though. The way you said it is much clearer. Or better yet just say the rate of infection is decreasing.

That's not quite it either. Comment can't be made on rate of infection, that is an unknown because of the targeted testing.

What the data shows is reduced growth in detected cases.

Not really.
Parents who are keeping their kids home to isolate are unlikely to send them in just because they aren’t wearing uniform.
You'd be surprised. We have a lot of "but they want to come to school" and that's why they are there instead of home with rest of their family WTAF!

edit: however your point about the sensible parents is valid. You could hold a free Movie World theme park day and sensible parents still wouldn't budge.

Here's an I'm not racist but........

Is Uber Eats/Menulog the smartest thing to be doing at the moment? Every single time I have seen these delivered, it is by a subcontinental man aged in his 20s/30s in a clapped out car. These guys tend to live in large groups in small flats/houses. Perfect conditions for transmission of a virus. These people are going from place to place handling and transporting your food. How often do they wash/sanitize their hands? I'm not a fan of Uber Eats in general because it skims way too much off the actual food businesses bottom line, but it has become a almost a necessity for the food business to be on it. It's a classic Catch 22.

Potentiallly. I think the issue is that the community transmission is increasing in NSW and Vic at a higher rate. Despite all the backslapping over the curve bending, if these don't start dropping due to the most recent measures in these states, it's quite likely that in a week or two's time the rate of growth in Australia will start ticking up again.

NSW
26/3 - 145
27/3 - 170 - +25 / 17%
28/3 - 207 - +32 / 22%
29/3 - 228 - +21 / 10%
30/3 - 250 - +22 / 10%
31/3 - 275 - +25 / 10%
1/4 - 307 - +32 / 12%

Vic
26/3 - 16
27/3 - 21 - +5 / 31%
28/3 - 21 - +0 / 0%
29/3 - 29 - +8 / 38%
30/3 - 32 - +3 / 10%
31/3 - 39 - +7 / 22%
1/4 - 57 - +18 / 46%

68 new cases in Victoria. Worryingly community transmissions jumped by 18 the biggest one day jump.

Bendigo has now overtaken Ballarat for confirmed cases, Castlemaine and other towns around us have confirmed cases and some of the confirmed cases in Bendigo include toddlers.

We both called it weeks ago that Central Victoria would be rooted because of the constant travel to and from Melbourne in our areas and now we're seeing that happen.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has confirmed that club members will be refunded if they need to be but implored those who could afford to continue paying for their membership to do so, to support their club.

His comments on ABC Radio Melbourne Breakfast with Sammy J come after a heated exchange between Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and his colleague Tony Jones on Channel Nine last night.

McGuire refused to confirm whether Collingwood members would be refunded by the club if they faced financial hardship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has confirmed that club members will be refunded if they need to be but implored those who could afford to continue paying for their membership to do so, to support their club.

His comments on ABC Radio Melbourne Breakfast with Sammy J come after a heated exchange between Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and his colleague Tony Jones on Channel Nine last night.

McGuire refused to confirm whether Collingwood members would be refunded by the club if they faced financial hardship.

They need to differentiate membership from the season ticket part.

I would happily donate my membership and remain a member as the club exists, the paying for a non product part grates.

I wonder which sporting league, Australian or overseas, will be the first to go 'Our players are not in the general risky age and are way fitter than the average person to boot. So let's see about giving them all Coronavirus and be recovered in a month and then no worries, we can play games'?

IMO an option for those who want to be deliberately infected, where by (at the persons expense and risk) they are isolated in a hotel for the period of being infectious, with medical monitoring would be a way to safely start getting some herd immunity. Only available to those not in any risk category (by age or medical condition(s)).

I wonder which sporting league, Australian or overseas, will be the first to go 'Our players are not in the general risky age and are way fitter than the average person to boot. So let's see about giving them all Coronavirus and be recovered in a month and then no worries, we can play games'?

Belarus is one step ahead of you on this one. They haven't stopped!

Here's an I'm not racist but........

Is Uber Eats/Menulog the smartest thing to be doing at the moment? Every single time I have seen these delivered, it is by a subcontinental man aged in his 20s/30s in a clapped out car. These guys tend to live in large groups in small flats/houses. Perfect conditions for transmission of a virus. These people are going from place to place handling and transporting your food. How often do they wash/sanitize their hands? I'm not a fan of Uber Eats in general because it skims way too much off the actual food businesses bottom line, but it has become a almost a necessity for the food business to be on it. It's a classic Catch 22.

It’s insane to support Uber eats as a restaurant. They’ve full details of your customers their likes their spending habits which in the future they will sell to cloud kitchens and put you out of business. So on top of the 30% Uber charge restaurants they also hand over their customer base.

Uber is evil and should die.

Picked up a friend from the airport who came off a ship a couple of weeks ago. He and his wife were about to finish quarantine and they felt ok but thought to be on the safe side they would get checked anyway. He called me this morning said he and his wife were positive
Went down to Flinders med asked if I should get checked they said as I have no symptoms they were not interested and sent me away. Now wondering if I'm going to get tapped on the shoulder to self isolate anyway

I’m not seeing much value in the confirmed cases figure anymore. It’s just not informative and is leading to a lot of poor quality commentary.

Two better metrics are:
1. Hospital & ICU admissions / discharges. Then compare the admissions & discharges against what is typical for April to give an idea of health system loading.

2. Total number of severe confirmed cases with an established criteria for rating a case as severe and rating a case as recovered from severe.

At some point we’ll all be infected one way or another, we need to work on living with it.

Online grocery shopping is *ing awesome. I used to be able to nominate to pick it up on the way home from work from a servo. Absolute game changer!

NZ aren't quite so advanced with it, and the slots here are all booked out a week in advance anyway.

IMO an option for those who want to be deliberately infected, where by (at the persons expense and risk) they are isolated in a hotel for the period of being infectious, with medical monitoring would be a way to safely start getting some herd immunity. Only available to those not in any risk category (by age or medical condition(s)).
44 players on each list, dozens of support staff at each club and over 100 umpires. Several of those will have comorbidities. Would be a horrible decision.

I’m not seeing much value in the confirmed cases figure anymore. It’s just not informative and is leading to a lot of poor quality commentary.

Two better metrics are:
1. Hospital & ICU admissions / discharges. Then compare the admissions & discharges against what is typical for April to give an idea of health system loading.

2. Total number of severe confirmed cases with an established criteria for rating a case as severe and rating a case as recovered from severe.

At some point we’ll all be infected one way or another, we need to work on living with it.
Good metrics and a good point about the testing.

I'd also like also see the occupancy rates of the ICUs, to tell us how full they are. A measure of how overhwelmed the system is. We also need to know how many days patients are staying in the ICU. If stays are long, patients are clogging up beds that could be otherwise be used for patients in need.

Essendon would be up for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back