News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 from Newmarch nursing home, 1 from overseas and 2 from Cronulla already in quarantine suspected of having it and tested negative, but were retested.

Only 1 for QLD from interstate.

Fast facts from Victoria
  • There are currently 110 active cases across the state
  • Nine people remain in hospital, including six in intensive care
  • To date, 1,385 people have recovered
  • Authorities believe 164 cases are the result of community transmission
  • More than 273,000 tests have been conducted, including 14,000 over the past 24 hours

Sounds like a few too many previous fines were being reversed on appeal/dispute (like that woman who posted a year old photo on facebook and got fined):

=====

Victoria Police introduce new rules around issuing fines

Victorian police must now seek approval from their supervisors before they can issue a penalty notice for breaching the state's coronavirus restrictions.

In a statement, the police service said it recognises "there may be some genuine ambiguity from the community and police members alike regarding the interpretation of the new directions".

"This new process will assist in providing a fair and balanced approach to all breaches and ensure accuracy in offence determination.

"It also ensures a heighted level of discretion is used by police while these changes are being understood by the community.

"Victoria Police will continue to enforce CHO directions."

Only two fines were issued over the past 24 hours.

VIC Bad News: 7 more new cases in Victoria over the past 24 hours, with all of them still being investigated (so could be community transmission)

VIC Good news: As a percentage of positive tests, only the NT have a lower rate than Victoria at present:

Finally, some backlash against Bolsonaro

======

Brazil records highest daily death toll

Nearly 900 fatalities were recorded over a 24 hour period.

Brazil is the worst hit country in Latin America, with more than 177,000 cases and over 12,000 deaths. It makes Brazil the world’s sixth worst-affected country in terms of deaths, according to John Hopkins University figures. Its total of 177,589 confirmed cases is the world’s seventh-highest.

Faced with overwhelmed hospitals, the country's state and city governments have imposed mandatory lockdowns against the will of President Jair Bolsonaro, who says job losses are more damaging than COVID-19. Far-right president Bolsonaro – who has attacked social isolation measures introduced by state governors – issued a decree declaring beauty salons, gyms and barbers “essential services” that could open. Several governors said they would ignore the decree.

Last edited:
When pubs re-open, this is what a pot (or middy or half-pint) should look like:

73ab2bd9-53be-4dcb-bad8-6e4fe1b3be6b_800.jpg

It seems like the new political publicity battleground is "who can test the most. Ever since Trumpy came out with that banner stating the U.S had tested the most people, Russia upped the ante... and now this:

=====

The Chinese city of Wuhan, the original centre of the pandemic, plans to test all 11 million residents for coronavirus over a period of just 10 days, according to local media.

Officials were ordered to submit urgent plans to test all Wuhan’s inhabitants after authorities reported six new cases in a residential compound, the first cluster of new Covid-19 infections since the city reopened on 8 April after 76 days of strict lockdown.

======

Brazil is the worst hit country in Latin America, with more than 177,000 cases and over 12,000 deaths. It makes Brazil the world’s sixth worst-affected country in terms of deaths, according to John Hopkins University figures. Its total of 177,589 confirmed cases is the world’s seventh-highest.

Faced with overwhelmed hospitals, the country's state and city governments have imposed mandatory lockdowns against the will of President Jair Bolsonaro, who says job losses are more damaging than COVID-19. Far-right president Bolsonaro – who has attacked social isolation measures introduced by state governors – issued a decree declaring beauty salons, gyms and barbers “essential services” that could open. Several governors said they would ignore the decree.

If you follow Glen Greenwald on Twitter he’s been all over Bolsonaro. He reposted a pick a few a while ago where it showed a massive field full of freshly dug graves and another pick that showed nearly all the graves had been filled.

======

Finally?

He (rightly) coped a heap of flak from the start.

If you follow Glen Greenwald on Twitter he’s been all over Bolsonaro. He reposted a pick a few a while ago where it showed a massive field full of freshly dug graves and another pick that showed nearly all the graves had been filled.
Don’t mind Greenwald as he tweets some really informative stuff, in spite of his occasional overuse of leftist rhetoric.

Jane Ferguson is the same, she has been reporting detailed stuff from Lebanon.

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions & a virus on a sesame seed bun.

=====

McDonald’s Fawkner cluster worsens as third worker tests positive

There are now six confirmed cases of Covid-19 linked to a cluster at a McDonald’s restaurant in Melbourne’s northeast, with three more cases linked to the outbreak.

The Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed three coronavirus cases with previously unknown origins have been connected to the restaurant in Fawkner.

McDonald’s has closed the site for two weeks as a precaution and undertaken a deep clean since the outbreak was identified. Authorities are now carrying out contact tracing with those infected while 92 staff members have been quarantined and tested.

The results of other tests are still to come, with one worker attending a shift on May 8 before being diagnosed. All staff have been asked to quarantine for 14 days as a precaution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no real expertise in real estate - and do admit that a potential lack of "foreign" "investors" will at least not drive prices to ridiculous levels in some suburbs - but I still call BS on this prediction:

CBA warns pandemic could cause dramatic house price

The Commonwealth Bank has warned a “prolonged” downturn sparked by the coronavirus pandemic would cause the economy to shrink for two yeas in a row and house prices could plunge by more than 30 per cent.

I went to Northland to get tested, as I felt I had a cold/flu coming on. In the car park, there was a notice that only asymptomatic people were being tested.
I approached a lady giving instructions as to where to park and was told "there is a two-hour wait, and with your symptoms, the doctor will most likely not test you. I left.

If this approach is across the board then it makes the current stats e.g. 30 positives out of 1,200 test very good - 2.5% of asymptomatic people actually test positive.

I went to Northland to get tested, as I felt I had a cold/flu coming on. In the car park, there was a notice that only asymptomatic people were being tested.
I approached a lady giving instructions as to where to park and was told "there is a two-hour wait, and with your symptoms, the doctor will most likely not test you. I left.

If this approach is across the board then it makes the current stats e.g. 30 positives out of 1,200 test very good - 2.5% of asymptomatic people actually test positive.
Yeesh. And they expect to test everyone in every AFL club if the average Joe gets a move along?

I went to high point shopping centre yesterday, It was a drive through. Very easy. I’ve been in McDonalds drive throughs that take longer.

Agreed... But surely you should get tested!?

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions & a virus on a sesame seed bun.

=====

McDonald’s Fawkner cluster worsens as third worker tests positive

There are now six confirmed cases of Covid-19 linked to a cluster at a McDonald’s restaurant in Melbourne’s northeast, with three more cases linked to the outbreak.

The Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed three coronavirus cases with previously unknown origins have been connected to the restaurant in Fawkner.

McDonald’s has closed the site for two weeks as a precaution and undertaken a deep clean since the outbreak was identified. Authorities are now carrying out contact tracing with those infected while 92 staff members have been quarantined and tested.

The results of other tests are still to come, with one worker attending a shift on May 8 before being diagnosed. All staff have been asked to quarantine for 14 days as a precaution.

I used to get a feed here after Friday night footy. It was the last Fast Food joint back then before the dark.

Can confirm they knew how to package food properly back then

I have no real expertise in real estate - and do admit that a potential lack of "foreign" "investors" will at least not drive prices to ridiculous levels in some suburbs - but I still call BS on this prediction:

CBA warns pandemic could cause dramatic house price

The Commonwealth Bank has warned a “prolonged” downturn sparked by the coronavirus pandemic would cause the economy to shrink for two yeas in a row and house prices could plunge by more than 30 per cent.

House prices have taken a hit as a result of this, add in decreased lines of credit it may be harder for people to get into the market

Ecomony most likely will shrink for a couple of years as a result of this so not really groundbreaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back