News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people who think Trumps election and Putins incredible statesmanship saved the world from a nuclear war 2 or 3 years ago. Lol.

I don't think it would have got to nuclear war but the bloodthirsty interventionist Clinton was determined to provoke a confrontation over Syria

This is literally what I have said about Trump from the get go.

I couldn't have voted for Clinton. No chance.

I wouldn't have voted for either of them. The incredible anti Trump dummy spit that followed his election reminded me of a similar one here from sometime in 2010. But even Hilary wouldn't have ****ed this up so badly.

There is a chance the US will fall apart after this. Probably only a slim one but it's still there IMO.

I don't think it would have got to nuclear war but the bloodthirsty interventionist Clinton was determined to provoke a confrontation over Syria

Yeah, it would have been messy but I doubt it would have been nuclear either, who knows what would have happened in Crimea. who knows what will happen now. This virus doesn't just effect the West but it's al we really hear about.

None of them have responded to Covid19 with quite the same mix of incompetence, malignant narcissism, chronic dishonesty, science denial, partisan division, and pettiness as Trump. would any of them think for one second that a press conference to discuss a pandemic that is killing thousands of their citizens and forecast to kill thousands more is the appropriate platform to boast about TV ratings or trending on Facebook?

It's amazing how thin-skinned the Trumpists are

There is a lot of denial on this board, from the Trumpists, not dissimilar to the donialists at *essendon.

Good Friday is just 4 days away and if I recall correctly Donny was going to have it all fixed by Easter. What a stupid statement that was, showing his complete disregard for the facts of the pandemic. One of his more recent idiotic statements, when the Health authorities said people should be wearing masks when they go out in public was to say he wouldn't be wearing one. Talk about ignoring the science. He is a complete laughing stock. Tragically the rising death rate in the USA is nothing to laugh about.

There’s another huge variable that will dictate what things look like over the next 3-6 months and that is the availability and prevalence of community testing.

If we continue to manage the spread now and introduce a sustained and comprehensive testing policy it could mean different things in terms of what we’re allowed to do.

I’m projecting with this, I know.

The thought of months upon months of this is a bitter pill to swallow.

There is a lot of denial on this board, from the Trumpists, not dissimilar to the donialists at *essendon.

Good Friday is just 4 days away and if I recall correctly Donny was going to have it all fixed by Easter. What a stupid statement that was, showing his complete disregard for the facts of the pandemic. One of his more recent idiotic statements, when the Health authorities said people should be wearing masks when they go out in public was to say he wouldn't be wearing one. Talk about ignoring the science. He is a complete laughing stock. Tragically the rising death rate in the USA is nothing to laugh about.

How many "Trumpists" actually reside on this board though Horrie?

Clarification of a position is often mistaken as outright support by the brainwashed extremist elements.

There’s another huge variable that will dictate what things look like over the next 3-6 months and that is the availability and prevalence of community testing.

If we continue to manage the spread now and introduce a sustained and comprehensive testing policy it could mean different things in terms of what we’re allowed to do.

We do have an opportunity to manage it. Now we have some sort of actual border security.

Now its a week into April. I'd been expecting some sort of surge thru the community before this and as of yet we don't seem to be having it. I would have expected hospital cases to be up as well but that hasn't happened yet to the extent I expected either.

So if things stay relatively good the calls to ease restrictions will start soon enough.

Interesting that NSW is looking at widening the testing parameters and testing more people in areas with low numbers of coronavirus.

I reckon six months in generous.

Is why I reckon footy will be back by August at the lastest.
Andy Maher claimed on the radio the other day that the AFL is working towards June 11th. He didn't want to push it too hard due to the uncertainty around it but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the first of a series of cascading dates the AFL is working up execution plans around. The current trajectory of new infections suggests to me that it is a possibility.

We do have an opportunity to manage it. Now we have some sort of actual border security.

Now its a week into April. I'd been expecting some sort of surge thru the community before this and as of yet we don't seem to be having it. I would have expected hospital cases to be up as well but that hasn't happened yet to the extent I expected either.

So if things stay relatively good the calls to ease restrictions will start soon enough.

If you go back and look at the data 3 weeks ago we were doubling every three to four days which really drove the Government action on shutdowns and distancing measures. They would have been thinking at that point we were likely to be in the ballpark of 30k plus confirmed infections by now and facing 100k within a week. They won't tell is now but they would be breathing a massive sigh of relief right now even though the job is not yet finished.

One commentator from the US noted yesterday that many of the 90% that you are quoting have their health insurance linked as part of their employment packages. You lose your job, you lose your health cover. A major concern for the US is that now with six million bread-winners now unemployed that is six million workers plus their dependents without health cover. If the unemployment rate in the US rises, they will have a major problem.

Yeah, you would have thought that people who lost their job due to the coronavirus would have had their medical insurance extended by the government.

I much prefer our system of accessibility, but we have a problem in that the standard of care for those who have access is not as high is as desirable. It is difficult to apply a high standard of care to a large population base, those who have the best access to medical care have a relatively small population base. I think our medicare system would collapse if our population was 350 million.

Andy Maher claimed on the radio the other day that the AFL is working towards June 11th. He didn't want to push it too hard due to the uncertainty around it but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the first of a series of cascading dates the AFL is working up execution plans around. The current trajectory of new infections suggests to me that it is a possibility.

It seems reasonable if the spread is contained and demonstatably so.

Everyone involved could be specifically isolated as much as possible in the lead up to that start date. With testing, isolation and management, if we have an idea of where the virus is in the community then players could be safe enough to play.

You could argue for two week suspensions for players who break isolation as well.

It's a possibility and could be worth pushing for simply cos it would help get the rest us of thru an otherwise difficult winter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, you would have thought that people who lost their job due to the coronavirus would have had their medical insurance extended by the government.

I much prefer our system of accessibility, but we have a problem in that the standard of care for those who have access is not as high is as desirable. It is difficult to apply a high standard of care to a large population base, those who have the best access to medical care have a relatively small population base. I think our medicare system would collapse if our population was 350 million.

I think that argument is nonsense. GDP per capita would be the main determinant of the ability to sustain quality universal healthcare. A bigger population would, in fact, have some benefits in terms of economies of scale. The reality is that the USA spends about 17% of its GDP on healthcare and it is not close to covering everyone for a basic level of care. We spend about 10% and manage to get it done. The US has the resources but not the political will to provide a basic level of care to its entire population.

Last edited:
Well, it's true.

Why else would people who are virtually unaffected by him continually obsess about him?

They are dancing to the tune of a piper they cannot see. They are so far down the rabbit hole that they can no longer see the outside world.
image.jpeg

I suspect the AFL and VicGov will use the return of footy as a carrot and stick to enforce distancing measures.

They'll trail it coming back mid June and then say, nah, need everyone to obey the rules for another few weeks.

I reckon training back late June/early July with early August return.

I see 6 months as the limit society will accept. At least here in Oz.
If people are putting up with this nonsense now, why will they suddenly decide to break the groupthink in six months?

If anything, seems more likely to me that people will get more and more used to it. Those who see through the agenda will become apathetic.

The 'stay home to save grandma' line will never go out of fashion. How do you argue with that? Do you not care about grandma?

'Stay home to save lives' is empty, illogical rhetoric, but it works, because people are stupid.

And they ain't gonna be any less stupid in six months.

Last edited:
I think that argument is nonsense. GDP per capita would be the main determinant of the ability to sustain quality universal healthcare. A bigger population would, in fact, have some benefits in terms of economies of scale. The reality is that the USA spends about 17% of its GDP on healthcare and it is close to covering everyone for a basic level of care. We spend about 10% and manage to get it done. The US has the resources but not the political will to provide a basic level of care to its entire population.

Yeah, but there is an exponential increase in cost the higher the service you provide, NYC has a population of 8m and has more ICU beds than all of Australia combined pre coronavirus, the system was designed to provide immediate care, you don't go on a wait list for 3-6 months. To provide that level of service is expensive.

The argument is wouldn't it be better to lower the standard to provide better health care for everyone. I think it would be. I don't think it would be feasible to provide the extent of their current health care they do for everyone without the cost blowing out. Those who have access don't want a lesser service. That is why they are where they are.

Perhaps that is why they have done this in stages, to give you weeks and weeks to swallow the bitter pill.

Had they said from the outset, 'no work, no beaches, no parties, no sports, nobody at funerals and weddings, queues at woolies and coles', people may have rebelled.

By doing it in stages, they coaxed entire nations to go along with the program.

The best part is, when somebody points this out, they are the ones who get attacked by the groupthinkers and hiveminders.

We've been conned.

The political response from the feds has been really good up until they decided to kick casuals right in the plums

It's almost like they don't know what to do without picking a fight.

Wedgislation is their default.

Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru , Palau , Samoa, Solomon lslands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.

No recorded cases 🙂👍

I've spent some time in Palau, only flights in and out were from Guam, Manilla, and Hong Kong at the time. Must have shut them down. I'd love to be there now instead of locked in my home office.

As Tom Petty once sang

“the waaaaaaaaaiittttinnnnnnnnnnnggggg is the harrrrrdddesssssst parrrrrt”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back