Autopsy Costliest Loss of the Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Us losing to Carlton, again, will cost us finals, again.

That's two years in a row for those playing at home.

I don't think any loss in itself (Hawthorn, North, GWS) hurts our chances too much. It'd be nice to be 8-2 or 9-1 but we were 5-5 at the same point last year and even got into the top four at one point.

I don't think we've played with the same spirit since Bob went down, though.

GWS vs. Melbourne, mainly due to the manner of the loss (rundown in last quarter) and the absence of a few key star players. Melbourne have turned out to be fairly decent, but at the time it felt like a costly game to rue much later on, particularly given the following R2 results. That said, you have to expect the odd upset, and R1 upsets especially. Fremantle losing at home to the Suns has turned out to be more costly than it looked at the time, you hate losing at home to a fellow cellar dweller.

Losing at home to a side considered a rung below, particularly when unexpected, is the very definition of costly, and to my mind (among finals aspirants) we haven't had any of that yet. Geelong beat the Crows comfortably in Adelaide, likewise Swans against the Hawks in Melbourne, but they are 8 point clashes between similarly pegged contenders. Given Hawthorn have been mostly winning small, their percentage hit against the Giants might prove to be very costly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back