List Mgmt. Could this be the greatest list management manoeuvre in VFL/AFL history?

Remove this Banner Ad

davywap

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
on a chair
AFL Club
Collingwood
2014 - Dayne Beams tells Collingwood he wants to go to Brisbane. The Pies work out a trade with Brisbane:
  • Beams goes to Brisbane with pick 67.
  • Collingwood get Brisbane's first and second round draft picks and Jack Crisp.
  • Collingwood uses the first round pick to draft Jordan DeGoey. This allows them to also draft Darcy Moore with their now second first-round pick.
  • Collingwood trades the second round pick they received for Beams to North Melbourne for Levi Greenwood.
  • Collingwood uses their original second-round pick on drafting Brayden Maynard.
2019 - Collingwood have just lost a grand final by under a goal
  • DeGoey is quickly becoming a superstar and is being compared by some with Gary Ablett Snr.
  • Greenwood is one of the best "taggers" in the game, who regularly makes players like Dusty Martin and Dangerfield his bitches.
  • Jack "steak knives" Crisp has not missed a single game for Collingwood and is in their top 10 players.
  • Moore started off sensationally, had some injury setbacks, and now looks like becoming a very solid key-defender who would still swing forward if required.
  • Maynard has cemented his spot in Collingwood's backline.
  • Dayne Beams has returned to Collingwood is instantly probably in their top 5 players.
I can't remember everything that's happened in footy, but I don't know of a trade that's turned out this well in a long time, if ever.

2014 - Dayne Beams tells Collingwood he wants to go to Brisbane. The Pies work out a trade with Brisbane:
  • Collingwood uses the first round pick to draft Jordan DeGoey. This allows them to also draft Darcy Moore with their now second first-round pick.
  • Collingwood trades the second round pick they received for Beams to North Melbourne for Levi Greenwood.
  • Collingwood uses their original second-round pick on drafting Brayden Maynard.
  • DeGoey is quickly becoming a superstar and is being compared by some with Gary Ablett Snr.
  • Greenwood is one of the best "taggers" in the game, who regularly makes players like Dusty Martin and Dangerfield his bitches.
  • Jack "steak knives" Crisp has not missed a single game for Collingwood and is in their top 10 players.
  • Moore started off sensationally, had some injury setbacks, and now looks like becoming a very solid key-defender who would still swing forward if required.
  • Dayne Beams has returned to Collingwood is instantly probably in their top 5 players.
I can't remember everything that's happened in footy, but I don't know of a trade that's turned out this well in a long time, if ever.
It's a case of some good ol' bait 'n' switch ;)

It was planned all along. Just like we sent Tarrant to Freo to learn how to become a backman before he came back to us once he learnt.

Yes, it's looking great, but who are the people comparing DeGoey to Gary Ablett Snr, and did they ever see Gary Ablett Snr play?
There was some chat in the media this week. Cooler heads would say give it three - five years.
Gary Ablett Snr was the best player ever not to play for Collingwood- which probably means he is GOAT to most people not blessed with living in the light.
What De Goey did on Thursday night, as exciting as it was, would have been a quiet day for G Ablett snr at his peak. I understand the hype about Jordy but geez, I hope it doesn't go to his head. Really in the cold light of day he's a star on the rise with no apparent ceiling....but he ain't quite in Ablett's stratosphere yet

you've pampered it up a little bit with the Maynard bit, regardless of the Beams trade he comes to pies.. but yes we turned a potential bad situation into a major win. At the time of Beams leaving I had him as our best player. I think he's behind Treloar, De Goey and Grundy currently now though.

There was some chat in the media this week. Cooler heads would say give it three - five years.
Gary Ablett Snr was the best player ever not to play for Collingwood- which probably means he is GOAT to most people not blessed with living in the light.
What De Goey did on Thursday night, as exciting as it was, would have been a quiet day for G Ablett snr at his peak. I understand the hype about Jordy but geez, I hope it doesn't go to his head. Really in the cold light of day he's a star on the rise with no apparent ceiling....but he ain't quite in Ablett's stratosphere yet

I don't think anyone will ever go around kicking 120-130 goals a season again, but maybe De Goey is the modern day Ablett Snr still taking big marks and throwing people off him but only kicking 4 or 5 a game rather than 13 or 14. The days of huge bags of goals are done, maybe someone will kick 10 once in a blue moon against Gold Coast but in reality now if you kick 6 you've had a really big day out.

Maybe they mean De Goey shows glimpses reminiscent of Ablett Snr but he'll never go and kick 14 like Ablett. Those days are over but back in those days Lockett, Dunstall and a couple of others kicked big bags before too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL ablett.

The people comparing know they're talking thru their arse. De Goey hasn't established himself as the best player in the game in his second season of footy.

There's no 'give him 5 years'. It would already be obvious. Anyway in the modern 'team first' approach, such talent is traded for defensive skills, which ablett didn't possess.

Enjoy a fine talent. They're not that common.

Yes, it's looking great, but who are the people comparing DeGoey to Gary Ablett Snr, and did they ever see Gary Ablett Snr play?
I am. I saw a heap of Ablett Snr - absolutely loved watching him play. I'm comparing him to Ablett Snr in his later years as a full forward when he kept his feet and stopped flying for many speckies. Degoey has a log way to go but I see a very similar combination of power, speed, agility, and skill.

LOL ablett.

The people comparing know they're talking thru their arse. De Goey hasn't established himself as the best player in the game in his second season of footy.

There's no 'give him 5 years'. It would already be obvious. Anyway in the modern 'team first' approach, such talent is traded for defensive skills, which ablett didn't possess.

Enjoy a fine talent. They're not that common.

Neither did Ablett. Ablett debuted for Hawthorn as a 21year old in 1982, Matthews and other Hawthorn players admit that they didn't think he was particularly special and had no idea that he was going to become close to the player he became. He then got himself into a spot of bother and left the VFL for a year. He joined Geelong in 1984 at age 23, looked exciting that year, but at age 23 (the same age that Degoey currently is) was considered by noone to be the best player in the game.

On a side note it's somewhat pointless trying to compare a modern day forward to one of 20+ years ago anyway as a 70 goal season in 2019 is the equivalent of 100 in 1989 IMHO.

Mayo (Maynard, Moore) aside I like your thinking but no, without much thought this one currently beats it

• Collingwood entices ex-St Kilda captain Luke Ball to join them
  • Collingwood tries to facilitate a trade
  • St Kilda says pick 30 + Nathan Brown
  • Collingwood no, how about Goldsack or Wellingham?
  • St Kilda no we're only interested in Nathan Brown otherwise we'd prefer a pick in the top pick 25 by itself
  • Collingwood proceeds to organise an in principle agreement to package 30 + Wellingham to NM for 25
  • St Kilda no, if you're dealing with NM we'd like pick 21 instead
  • NM no, the deal was for 25
  • Ball walks to the draft and refuses to meet with other clubs where Collingwood drafts him with 30
  • 2010 Grand Final - Collingwood draws with and then defeats St Kilda. Brown blankets Riewoldt in both matches, Goldsack kicks the first goal in the replay, Ball and Wellingham play a role (Wellingham had a career best year in 2010, Ball produces numbers not seen since 2006)
And some mayo
  • 2012 Collingwood trades Wellingham to WC for pick 18 (Brodie Grundy)

EDIT: West Coast fans could put up this

• Collingwood wants to move up the draft order
  • Collingwood trades 11, 31 and 49 to West Coast for 6, 44
  • West Coast gets the player they wanted at 6 with 11 - Dom Sheed
  • 2018 - *

Last edited:
Should end up better than the Tarrant trade

Beams > Tarrant
De Goey > Reid
Crisp = Medders
Greenwood > nothing

just need the flag with all 4 playing to cap it off
Medders had 1 really good year for us, so Crisp comfortably over Medders.

I don't think they are comparing him literally Ray but more in the style that he plays and his spread of attributes.

I certainly saw Gaz Snr almost single handedly drag Geelong across the line in that GF against Hawthorn - it was quite simply the finest exhibition of forward play I have ever seen or ever expect to see. Gaz Snr was a once in a generation player and probably one of the best of those generational freaks.

Medders had 1 really good year for us, so Crisp comfortably over Medders.
Exactly, if Crisp continues he will have played 200 games for us in a 10 year career. I’d argue last year Crisp season wasnt far off Medhursts best for us too.

EDIT: West Coast fans could put up this

• Collingwood wants to move up the draft order
  • Collingwood trades 11, 31 and 49 to West Coast for 6, 44
  • West Coast gets the player they wanted at 6 with 11 - Dom Sheed
  • 2018 - ****

Well that’s ruined me day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back