This could work for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Carltons could be the Rolling Stones song.... "No Satisfaction"
Nah Carlton's theme song is the "Hello darkness my old friend" line on repeat from Simon and Garfunkle's Sound of silence.

"Loser" by Beck could be a good choice too.

I can also see the Carlton fans taking to singing Foreigner's "I wanna know what love is" but putting in "playing Finals" instead of love. .... " I wanna know what playing finals is.... I want you to show me. I wanna feel what playing finals is.. I know you can show meeee..". It has the right blend of pathetic and melancholy. Imagine 40,000 Blooser fans singing that at the G as their team plays itself out of finals contention... goosebumps..

The millennial Carlton fan anthem
by Foreigner...

Gonna take a little time..
a little time to get forward cohesion..
I wish the players could read between the lines..
and stop wetting the bed in final quarters..
This mountain we must climb..
feels like the world upon our shoulders..

All my life, there's been heartache and pain..
I don't know... If I can Face it again...
Can's stop now,
I've travelled too far...
to watch these useless pricks choke again...

I wanna know what finals is...
I want you to show me
I wanna feel what finals is..
I know you can show me..

Gonna take a little time..
A little time to rebuild the list..
We've got nowhere left to hide..
looks like we need to sack the coach

All our lives, there's been heartache and pain..
We don't know... If we can Face it again...
Can's stop now,
We've travelled too far...
to watch this pile of pooo...

We wanna know what finals is...
we want you to show us
we wanna feel what finals is..
we know you can show us..

ooohoooo talkin 'bouttttttt Finals

Last edited:
To Sweet Caroline

2versions
Version 1
Sweet Fly's pies duh duh duh
footy's never been so good
So good
so good
so good

We're side by side duh duh duh
With the boys from Collingwoo oo oo ood

OR
Version 2
Sweet Collingwood duh duh duh
We're forever Collingwood
So good
So good
So good

We're black and white duh duh duh
And we all stand side by side
by side
by side
By side

I like it. Collingwood used to sing it in the rooms after our theme song under Tony Shaw in 97 or 98.

Or we could sing 'Lean On Me'.

To Sweet Caroline

2versions
Version 1
Sweet Fly's pies duh duh duh
footy's never been so good
So good
so good
so good

We're side by side duh duh duh
With the boys from Collingwoo oo oo ood

OR
Version 2
Sweet Collingwood duh duh duh
We're forever Collingwood
So good
So good
So good

We're black and white duh duh duh
And we all stand side by side
by side
by side
By side
Oh god please no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our MCG home game pre-game anthem: Stand By Me

John Lennon's version of "Stand By Me" as the pre-game song for the Collingwood Football Club (CFC) can be justified on several grounds.

Picture this, its Saturday afternoon around 2:08pm at the MCG, players have broken from their circle and are making their way to their starting positions. Amongst the fervour of the crowd, feel the guitar intro crunching and swirling in over the PA. The faithful begin to stand, almost in unison - lending their voice - one by one, side by side, bar by bar, all the way to the chorus - when the stadium erupts as one into "Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand, by me..."

I think this could work for us.

The timing could be right to embrace something like this. Certainly complements and serves our club values of 'Side by Side', a new celebration as our momentum builds.

And someday, when the quiet times come, we'll have something to share - a reminder to stand by each other.

Have a listen, and consider some reasons here:

• Global Recognition: John Lennon's "Stand By Me" is a universally recognised song. This can help broaden the global appeal of CFC.
  • Strong Message: The lyrics of "Stand By Me" convey a strong message of solidarity, unity, and resilience, all of which are essential attributes for any sports team.
  • Connection with Fans: The emotional depth and appeal of "Stand By Me" can help forge a stronger emotional connection with the fans.
  • Distinctiveness: Adopting a song by an iconic artist like John Lennon as a pre-game song will make CFC stand out from other clubs, providing a unique identity.
  • Resonance with Values: The song's themes of loyalty and support reflect the values of commitment and team spirit inherent in Collingwood FC.
  • Resonance of Lyrics: The lyrics in John Lennon's "Stand by Me" are about loyalty, support, and companionship, echoing Collingwood's "Side by Side" motto.
  • Popularity and Recognisability: John Lennon's version of "Stand by Me" is globally recognised, potentially attracting more international attention to the club.
  • Musicality: This rendition is musically appealing and engaging, making it a powerful and emotional rallying anthem that can captivate players and fans alike.
  • Versatility: The soulful and profound nature of the song makes it suitable for both celebratory and solemn occasions, thus able to capture the full range of emotions experienced by the club.
  • Timelessness: "Stand by Me" has proven to be a timeless classic that transcends generations, aligning with Collingwood's value of enduring community spirit and camaraderie.
  • Contrast to Port Adelaide's Song: Compared to Port Adelaide's pre-game song, which might be seen as too localised or region-specific, Lennon's version of "Stand by Me" can have a broader appeal and universality.
  • Unique Identity: Adopting this song would set Collingwood apart from other teams in the league, reinforcing a unique club identity that respects its values while charting a distinctive path. There are no prominent sports clubs known for using John Lennon's version of "Stand by Me" as their official song or anthem.

How it would work -

You convince a bunch of Collingwood supporting mates it’s a good idea, and you all go along to the footy and give it a crack. Try it a few times taking care about the context (gamestate, frequency, etc). If the people around you like what you’re doing they might join in. And the people around them might eventually join in. And on it goes. That’s how chants / songs generally get up.

If it gets big enough the club/ AFL might license its use to legitimize it.

(This might be all made a bit easier if you’re in the cheersquad)

How it would work -

You convince a bunch of Collingwood supporting mates it’s a good idea, and you all go along to the footy and give it a crack. Try it a few times taking care about the context (gamestate, frequency, etc). If the people around you like what you’re doing they might join in. And the people around them might eventually join in. And on it goes. That’s how chants / songs generally get up.

If it gets big enough the club/ AFL might license its use to legitimize it.

(This might be all made a bit easier if you’re in the cheersquad)

Yes this is the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back