Crappy presents (that people may not realise are crappy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Hopefully self-explanatory. Presents that are somewhat popular, perhaps even thought of as a safe '7/10' gift, but are actually crap and the person getting it may be slightly disappointed.
  • Gold class vouchers - this will always baffle me. The only people who should use them are idiots in the early stages of a relationship with no other ideas for a 'special' date (yes I've been there). As far as I'm aware, there's not much discernible difference with the comforts of any reasonably newish cinema these days, so you're paying (significantly) for the 'service'. Now, perhaps it's just me, but I'd probably prefer a nice sit down meal before/after the cinema than to have someone come past every 20 minutes or so to drop off a platter of spring rolls (try eating spring rolls quietly...why are they on the menu?). How about the sundae? Nothing better than getting all dressed up for a fancy date and then trying to negotiate a gold fish bowl of melting ice cream, nuts and topping in the dark.
  • (newborn section) - anything to wear on their feet. Look cute. Will be worn twice, if they're lucky. Probably never worn at all.
  • (toddler - young child section) - Play doh. This is typically given for a birthday/Christmas present for a youngster either by well meaning idiots who don't know any better, or people who have kids themselves and happen to be sadists. And anything with lots of stickers falls into this category as well.

Hopefully self-explanatory. Presents that are somewhat popular, perhaps even thought of as a safe '7/10' gift, but are actually crap and the person getting it may be slightly disappointed.
  • Gold class vouchers - this will always baffle me. The only people who should use them are idiots in the early stages of a relationship with no other ideas for a 'special' date (yes I've been there). As far as I'm aware, there's not much discernible difference with the comforts of any reasonably newish cinema these days, so you're paying (significantly) for the 'service'. Now, perhaps it's just me, but I'd probably prefer a nice sit down meal before/after the cinema than to have someone come past every 20 minutes or so to drop off a platter of spring rolls (try eating spring rolls quietly...why are they on the menu?). How about the sundae? Nothing better than getting all dressed up for a fancy date and then trying to negotiate a gold fish bowl of melting ice cream, nuts and topping in the dark.
  • (newborn section) - anything to wear on their feet. Look cute. Will be worn twice, if they're lucky. Probably never worn at all.
  • (toddler - young child section) - Play doh. This is typically given for a birthday/Christmas present for a youngster either by well meaning idiots who don't know any better, or people who have kids themselves and happen to be sadists. And anything with lots of stickers falls into this category as well.

What do you have against play doh? Do you mean like it gets into the carpet and remains there for eternity? Its a reasonable trade off I feel, because my daughter loves to play with it and since both me and my missus are forced into anything she is playing with, its one of the few things (in toddler world that is) I actually derive some fun from. Have no problem with stickers either. She just sticks them to a sheet of paper and thats that. Harmless. Glitter is a ******* nightmare though. Our whole lounge room is constantly twinkling in pretty green or sparkly pink.

When I was about 18, my step brother(about 20 years older than me) bought me a drink holder for the back seat of a car. For the life of me I cant figure out any time for which this gift would be useful. Opening it in front of him and his idiot family was one of the more embarrassing moments of my life.

Bath bomb, moisturiser and all that crap. Ornaments . Gift vouchers .

Ditto... especially on the ornaments (including candles)

They just make dusting a pain in the arse

I live in an ornament free zone by choice (having grown up in a bric-a-brac hell)

Now, having said all that, it's the thought that counts

if ugly "dust collector" comes from friend, family or foe

piffing it to the shithouse is all part of the fun

What do you have against play doh? Do you mean like it gets into the carpet and remains there for eternity? Its a reasonable trade off I feel, because my daughter loves to play with it and since both me and my missus are forced into anything she is playing with, its one of the few things (in toddler world that is) I actually derive some fun from. Have no problem with stickers either. She just sticks them to a sheet of paper and thats that. Harmless. Glitter is a ******* nightmare though. Our whole lounge room is constantly twinkling in pretty green or sparkly pink.

We have a five year old and a two year old. Anything that the five year old does, the two year old will want to do, which means that each tub is filled with a brown lumpy mess after one use.

Pretty sad that some of this stuff has to be spelt out for people: that just dumping bags of utter s**t at the nearest charity bin isn't as helpful as you think it might be.

I've thought about giving the Marie Kondo thing a go, but from what I've seen, it's pretty simplistic and without a couple of revisions it just potentially causes a huge ecological issue.
  1. Set a minimum time period that I must have owned for clothes before I dispose of them (I'd say 5+ years for most clothes; three for work clothes, socks, jocks and exercise gear)
  2. Take the minimalist approach into how I shop for clothes, not just how I dispose of them. Otherwise, what's the point?

Boxes of favourites/roses. If you're going to get me chocolate a plain block of Cadbury would be much more sufficient rather than a box of 'fun sized' flavours I don't even like.

Favourites are srsly the worst chocolates.

Re gold class i love GCbut yes the waiters coming in and out are bullshit they need to be capped one visit per couple and like the first half hour. Is so ******* annoying i just get popcorn and thats all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sort of hate the idea of Christmas and gift giving as an adult (birthdays and mother's day as well). I don't really need anything but the missus will spend $400+ on s**t I don't really need. I'd be happy with jocks and socks tbh as I always need them by Christmas.

And I'll spend the same on her. Big difference is she can get cranky if it's not 'good' stuff she doesn't need

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I sort of hate the idea of Christmas and gift giving as an adult (birthdays and mother's day as well). I don't really need anything but the missus will spend $400+ on s**t I don't really need. I'd be happy with jocks and socks tbh as I always need them by Christmas.

And I'll spend the same on her. Big difference is she can get cranky if it's not 'good' stuff she doesn't need

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ritualistic gift giving exercises.

I set the rules early. No presents for any of them. Wife now just buys herself something.

my annual post (in some thread) on the deadweight loss of christmas

I'm a cheapskate. I just pot plants from my garden and my family love them. Win-win.

Whenever I receive a crappy present, it is a foreboding that I will be joining in the office secret santa the following year...

I've pretty much resolved most of the ritual gift giving types. Don't ask, don't give. I'll always sling any kids a gift on the day though. Lego Speed Champion kits go down gangbusters with young boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back