Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to watch my first ever game of cricket after watching a documentary about the West Indies cricket team so I've been cheering for them on this competition. Really hope they beat England in the final!

couldnt care less, its totally irrelevant, the fact the west indies who are a total basket case of a cricket country can make a 'final' proves how nonsense it really is

couldnt care less, its totally irrelevant, the fact the west indies who are a total basket case of a cricket country can make a 'final' proves how nonsense it really is
Yep - the longer the game, the worse the Windies become. They certainly played a pivotal role in one of the worst Australian summers of cricket I can remember.

What a truly sensational final that was - an insane last over!

Joe Root was amazing despite being on the losing side. When he got Gayle out that early I thought the Windies were going to really struggle - and struggle they did, but overcame their difficulties in the very final moments of the match.

Not a bad tournament to start watching the sport!

Yeah not sure why T20 has such a bad reputation amongst the traditionalists, compare that final with the World Cup ODI final we flogged the Kiwis in and at least that had ups and downs.

We just suck at the format so people say who cares but if we were continually in the finals playing that type of cricket people would be just as proud of our country.

Shame for the Southern Stars finally losing after consecutive finals wins but I was stoked the male Windies got up after going to bed thinking they were Rooted after being 3-15 but Braithwaite hitting 4 6's off Stokes wow what a win.

I'm glad they're at least good at one format because they are entertaining to watch, they do need to get better at the longer forms but ranking top in T20 means more than it did a few years back so good on them.

Also Lol England :D

Said something like 'I don't know why he hates me (Warne) but maybe its because my face is real and his isn't.' hahahahaha.
Haha burn, Warnie has been critical of him in recent times.

Edit: Just saw that he said during his acceptance speech for his motm "Shane Warne has been talking continuously & all I have to say is this is for Shane Warne, I answer with my bat not my mic"

Last edited:
What a truly sensational final that was - an insane last over!

Joe Root was amazing despite being on the losing side. When he got Gayle out that early I thought the Windies were going to really struggle - and struggle they did, but overcame their difficulties in the very final moments of the match.

Not a bad tournament to start watching the sport!
So your team is world champions in the men and in the women. Pity their test side can't take turn back the clock to become world champions again.

I fell asleep during most of the Windies innings so missed the end. So for someone who knew virtually nothing about cricket 6 months ago how did the game grab you to hold your attention for 3.5 hours??

As I have discussed with you before national teams should play their sport to reflect their national culture. That has been a big debate in soccer for 20 years that the Socceroos should play with an attacking, positive, aggressive Aussie style rather than going and getting a big name from Europe to play boring grinding win 1-0 and draw 0-0 away from home games to just qualify for the world cup. Maybe the T20 is the future for Windies cricket, the shorter game, the fun Calypso style rather than the more boring more boring Test cricket and red ball first class cricket in general. Maybe we will never see the Windies never dominate the Test arena, but T20 will be their avenue to be World Champions and the One Day Internationals, they will be somewhere in between.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So your team is world champions in the men and in the women. Pity their test side can't take turn back the clock to become world champions again.

I fell asleep during most of the Windies innings so missed the end. So for someone who knew virtually nothing about cricket 6 months ago how did the game grab you to hold your attention for 3.5 hours??

Yes, it was lucky that the Windies won it all in the very first tournament I decided to watch as it probably helped in making me persevere with the game.

I will be honest, I still find it very odd how people might hold interest for a game that can be 5 days long, but I'm used to 3.5 hours long games of baseball which have a similar pace to it, not to mention their other many similarities.

I watched some of the games like I frequently watch baseball - I put it on and did other stuff at the same time, which is quite different as to how I watch Port games, for example, when I nearly try not to blink. So I won't say I was 100% focused all of the time during the T20 games I watched... but you need to start from somewhere! :D And that final over in itself was probably worthy a hundred games.

I consider myself to be a very open minded person and it delights me that there is still so much to learn about other sports. I don't think I'll ever be a cricket fanatic but just to be able to enjoy it is something I value.

Yeah not sure why T20 has such a bad reputation amongst the traditionalists, compare that final with the World Cup ODI final we flogged the Kiwis in and at least that had ups and downs.

We just suck at the format so people say who cares but if we were continually in the finals playing that type of cricket people would be just as proud of our country.

Shame for the Southern Stars finally losing after consecutive finals wins but I was stoked the male Windies got up after going to bed thinking they were Rooted after being 3-15 but Braithwaite hitting 4 6's off Stokes wow what a win.

I'm glad they're at least good at one format because they are entertaining to watch, they do need to get better at the longer forms but ranking top in T20 means more than it did a few years back so good on them.

Also Lol England :D

I always thought Aussies enjoyed the `to and froms' losing any sporting contest ;), and as you say, we suck at the T20 format, so people say who cares? :rolleyes:

There's a bizarre 3 day game happening at the moment in England, between Nottinghamshire and Cambridge. Notts batted first and raced to 8 for 530 declared at the end of day 1. They then bowled Cambridge out for 52, and you'd think they'd surely enforce the follow on. Not so: they batted again and stretched the lead to 648, before declaring again. Gee I'll laugh if Cambridge finishes the game 9 wickets down :)

Yes, it was lucky that the Windies won it all in the very first tournament I decided to watch as it probably helped in making me persevere with the game.

I will be honest, I still find it very odd how people might hold interest for a game that can be 5 days long, but I'm used to 3.5 hours long games of baseball which have a similar pace to it, not to mention their other many similarities.

I watched some of the games like I frequently watch baseball - I put it on and did other stuff at the same time, which is quite different as to how I watch Port games, for example, when I nearly try not to blink. So I won't say I was 100% focused all of the time during the T20 games I watched... but you need to start from somewhere! :D And that final over in itself was probably worthy a hundred games.

I consider myself to be a very open minded person and it delights me that there is still so much to learn about other sports. I don't think I'll ever be a cricket fanatic but just to be able to enjoy it is something I value.
Doing other stuff whilst listening to the cricket on the radio is very normal worldwide, so is it when its on TV but obviously less so than the radio. Doing ironing when the cricket is on is probably the most common chore I do when cricket is on but I will do work and have it on in the background and turn around and watch it when a boundary is hit or wicket or near wicket happens.

Hopefully the 3rd Test against the Proteas will be a Day-Nighter. Glad the Australia Day game is back to an ODI, by the time Jan 26 comes along it would've been nearly 2 years since the Aussies' last 50 over game in Adelaide (ironically also against Pakistan in the CWC QF).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back