Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tricky little session coming up for our batsmen before stumps. India has just declared at a mammoth 9 for 603, a lead of 152. Can Warner play within himself and survive until stumps? I'm nervous.

You were right to be ... Davey the millionaire today!!!! Where's Ussie?

Aust 2/23 - ball spinning in the dust!

Hate to say it but it will take a big effort to survive here ... 129 runs behind!

Last edited:
So will more than 50 people and a few stray dogs be watching the final at Traeger Park in Alice Springs next week?? Surely there must be an oval in Victoria be it places like Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo etc that have an oval good enough to host the final if they can't find one in Melbourne because footy starts.
You would think so. The dimensions of Simonds stadium are 170m by 115m while Traeger Park is 175m by 125m. And as Adelaide is 167 by 124 and Gliderol 160 by 115 and both have been used for cricket finals I can't see why the slightly smaller ground matters. And Eureka Stadium at Ballarat is 159.5 by 128.8.

Smith out. That is about it I am afraid.

Why take Usman Khwaja to India if you are not going to play him? Would Khwaja have fared any worse than Dave Warner, Peter Handscomb and Sean Marsh who have passed 50 once between them in 18 innings? Spin deficiencies or not Khawaja has to play in Dharmasala.

Smith out. That is about it I am afraid.

Why take Usman Khwaja to India if you are not going to play him? Would Khwaja have fared any worse than Dave Warner, Peter Handscomb and Sean Marsh who have passed 50 once between them in 18 innings? Spin deficiencies or not Khawaja has to play in Dharmasala.
Marsh (series avg 22) and Handscomb (avg 20) would both be under the pump at the moment, although Marsh has a 60 to his name and a ton in the warm up. Even though it's in India, 3 Tests should be enough 'stick n pick' time, the 4th Test should be the time for at least one change, particularly if we can't bat today out. Might as well give Swepson a crack too.

Marsh and Handscomb have got Australia to 9 behind with 34 overs remaining and a nearly certain draw. Only one chance, Handscomb on 6 was put down but it was described as one that "would have been a sensational catch had it stuck".

6 wickets down now but Australia lead by 40 runs with 6 overs left. Even if 4 wickets fell in 4 balls there wouldn't be time for a result.
India could have won this with a bit of luck, there were two LBW calls that were reviewed and were hitting the top of the stumps but were given not out on umpire's call.

You really are a knob jockey Kohli. 4 overs left, we are 44 in front ( 2 overs to be lost for a changeover of innings) and he is still out there.

You really are a knob jockey Kohli. 4 overs left, we are 44 in front ( 2 overs to be lost for a changeover of innings) and he is still out there.

It would have been very interesting to have seen Kohli try that crap against a Windie's team lead by Viv Richards.
I reckon he may have been picking grass out of his teeth. ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The next test is being played in The Dalai Lama's back yard...

stadium.jpg

There's been a couple of ODIs and T20Is played there before, but never a Test.

Wesley certainly have done well in helping mould young indigenous athletes to reach the top level. In addition to Bolton and Narkle, in recent times they've also done well to help nurse Clem Smith to become a top draft prospect (though has fallen out of the professional system unfortunately), then going back a little bit there was obviously Buddy and on the cricket side of things Nathan Coulter-Nile.

I guess it goes back to the age old argument about private schools though is that the question may be are they just cherry picking the likely success stories with scholarships. At the end of the day though, it's hard to deny that they have been fantastic for the development of Sam and the other young men mentioned in their personal development.

If mentioning crickey try the Marsh boys, Shaun back in favour for a day or two as of tonight

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like Shaun Marsh saves his spot with one of his better efforts. Maxwell will play again by virtue of his ton in the first but I am not convinced he is a Test class no 6. I would be inclined to let Handscombe do the keeping and put Khwaja in the side in place of Wade who has not made enough runs. The idea was to play Wade and he would make up for his sub standard keeping by making more runs than Peter Nevill but that has not worked out.

Khwaja should be worked into the side but I suspect there will no changes.

Yeah agreed, was more the comment on the impressive stream of indigenous guys they've helped get to the top level of their sport.

And yes it was delicious to the "hurr durr only gets a game because of his name" mouthbreathing degenerates put in their box again yesterday.

16, 0, 66, 9, 2, 53 this series so far.

Would hardly call 14 runs per innings stellar.

6 wickets down now but Australia lead by 40 runs with 6 overs left. Even if 4 wickets fell in 4 balls there wouldn't be time for a result.
India could have won this with a bit of luck, there were two LBW calls that were reviewed and were hitting the top of the stumps but were given not out on umpire's call.
Did you see Kohli make them stay out there until almost the end. Smith should have declared.

Our cricketers are in limbo with their collective agreement too:

Australian all-rounder set for shock State switch, one of several players held up by pay negotiations

AUSTRALIAN limited overs international Marcus Stoinis will return home to Western Australia next season.
However Stoinis’ move west can’t be confirmed until the MOU negotiations are complete. The lack of certainty beyond June 30 is holding up any potential Big Bash or State player transition, with only non-binding discussions allowed to take place until Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association have come to an agreement.

The uncertain future has dozens of out-of-contract cricketers in limbo around the country and player managers increasingly frustrated. As of June 30, every cricketer in Australia will be out of contract if CA and the ACA can’t come to terms.

In the short term, it’s believed Cricket Australia will make an offer to the players in near future.

The proposal will include female cricketers but won’t contain the contentious revenue-sharing model.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cr...s/news-story/b0d7da18ba58dd4a095e5d4562cb831b

Gotta say, I've rarely been prouder of our national cricket team than I was yesterday. Make no mistake: we would have lost that match as recently as 3 months ago, but these guys are made of far sterner stuff. I bet the Poms are already extremely nervous about the idea of the Ashes returning down under next summer.

If India doesn't win the final Test, and therefore forfeit the Border/Gavaskar trophy, the locals will be burning effigies of Kohli in the streets :).

This is an amazing stat given it was the 49th test in India by an Oz team.

For the record the 4 individuals were
1st innings
Smith 178* 512 balls
Maxwell 104 245 balls
2nd innings
Marsh 53 236 balls
Handscomb 72* 261 balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back