Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What an overreaction. A few raunchy texts between consenting adults. And Paine ends up being the bad guy when the poor little damsel in distress that the Me Too crowd would want to save is on freaking criminal charges. Classic 2021.

Sadly that is the age we live in. That said I am not sure that sending a woman photos of your dick with an explicit suggestion or two was overly smart on Tim Paine's part. These days you can be accused of 'inappropriate touching' by simply brushing against a woman on the dance floor.

The media, especially the ABC is full of crusading blonde feminists atm and males need to mind what they do.

What an overreaction. A few raunchy texts between consenting adults. And Paine ends up being the bad guy when the poor little damsel in distress that the Me Too crowd would want to save is on freaking criminal charges. Classic 2021.
Its a bit deeper than that.

If this was made public after the 2018 South African test seies, say just before the 2 tests in UAE against Pakistan or after those 2 tests but before the 2018-19 home series against India, Paine would not have been kept on as captain and probably wouldnt have played any futher test cricket after that series.

Alex Carey has been a big victim of the sandpaper BS. He has been denied a test spot for over 2 years.

The Oz test cricket captain is held to a higher standard that the prime minister by lot of people..

Morrison (and most of his predessors) constantly lies and gets away with it, its almost expected of him, but the test skipper cant do too much wrong, either on or off the field. He is held to a greater standard.

Its all part of the myth of cricket being a gentleman's sport and above unfair play. The - its just not cricket philosophy, as Ive tried to explain to our Brazilian mate GremioPower, who has picked up its an Anglo thing, as you wouldnt have a discussion if its not being in the spirit of cricket to hit a ball for 6 that was misbowled,and bounced twice, in USA, Latin America or European countries sports culture.

Its a bit deeper than that.

If this was made public after the 2018 South African test seies, say just before the 2 tests in UAE against Pakistan or after those 2 tests but before the 2018-19 home series against India, Paine would not have been kept on as captain and probably wouldnt have played any futher test cricket after that series.

Alex Carey has been a big victim of the sandpaper BS. He has been denied a test spot for over 2 years.

The Oz test cricket captain is held to a higher standard that the prime minister by lot of people..

Morrison (and most of his predessors) constantly lies and gets away with it, its almost expected of him, but the test skipper cant do too much wrong, either on or off the field. He is held to a greater standard.

Its all part of the myth of cricket being a gentleman's sport and above unfair play. The - its just not cricket philosophy, as Ive tried to explain to our Brazilian mate GremioPower, who has picked up its an Anglo thing, as you wouldnt have a discussion if its not being in the spirit of cricket to hit a ball for 6 that was misbowled,and bounced twice, in USA, Latin America or European countries sports culture.

The irony of cricket being a gentleman's sport is that cricketers in general are the worst people. The s**t they get up to would make most Rugby League players blush.

The Board of Cricket Australia recently unanimously endorsed Earl Eddings to serve a second term as Chairman of the Board. Given that Eddings was appointed in 2018 in the wake of Sandpapergate you have to wonder where the CA Board goes to from here? Tim Paine has fallen on his sword but will those who oversaw and endorsed his appointment do the same? Maybe they need to bring the succession plan forward? Then again there is every chance the Deputy and the majority of the current Board also knew about Tim Paine's situation. If we are going to make a big issue about integrity in sport it has to start at the top.

The Board of Cricket Australia recently unanimously endorsed Earl Eddings to serve a second term as Chairman of the Board. Given that Eddings was appointed in 2018 in the wake of Sandpapergate you have to wonder where the CA Board goes to from here? Tim Paine has fallen on his sword but will those who oversaw and endorsed his appointment do the same? Maybe they need to bring the succession plan forward? Then again there is every chance the Deputy and the majority of the current Board also knew about Tim Paine's situation. If we are going to make a big issue about integrity in sport it has to start at the top.

Just saw a story with interview of Cricket Oz's interim chair Richard Freudenstein so I checked on Eddings and he was effectively forced to resign because Cricket NSW refused to support him at the AGM 5 weeks ago on 13th October. He was on the board for 14 years and Freudenstein was appointed on an interim basis whilst they look for a permanent chair.

Freudenstein was appointed June 2019 replacing Mark Taylor. He was the former CEO of Foxtel.

Former NSW premier Mike Baird was appointed to the CA board at last year's AGM in early November. He was appointed to Cricket NSW board in September 2019, and he will be sounded out to take over, but he has been appointed to a lot of corporate boards since he finished up in politics.

and

Would never have even been brought up as an issue if it wasn't an Australian that did it.

Looking beyond Paine, am I the only one not at all convinced by Cummins as captain?

Its asking too much of him I think. Really worried he gets distracted by it and loses his edge as a player. I've always held the school of thought that bowlers and all-rounders should rarely if ever be captains. Pat is no exception to this rule.

I don't see a better option jumping out at me though. That's a problem.

Looking beyond Paine, am I the only one not at all convinced by Cummins as captain?

Its asking too much of him I think. Really worried he gets distracted by it and loses his edge as a player. I've always held the school of thought that bowlers and all-rounders should rarely if ever be captains. Pat is no exception to this rule.

I don't see a better option jumping out at me though. That's a problem.

Like you I cannot get my head around having a fast bowler as Captain. I guess it is because in Australia the role has traditionally gone to a batsman however there are exmples of fast bowlers who have made the grade as Test Captains. One of Australia's greatest Captains in Richie Benaud was primarily a leg spin bowler who could bat so a bowler can do the job.

What amazes me is that the 36 year old Tim Paine has not given up hope of being picked in the upcoming Ashes side. I would say the only reason Paine got a gig in the first palce was he had some experience as a Captain and was seen as a steadying influence. If Smith had not stuffed up Alex Carey would have got the nod and Paine's Test career would have been over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What amazes me is that the 36 year old Tim Paine has not given up hope of being picked in the upcoming Ashes side. I would say the only reason Paine got a gig in the first palce was he had some experience as a Captain and was seen as a steadying influence. If Smith had not stuffed up Alex Carey would have got the nod and Paine's Test career would have been over.

I mean as a fiery professional athlete this doesn't surprise me too much. He should want that role.

Whether he should get it is a totally different question.

Imran Khan showed a fast bowler can lead his country successfully long term. In his 48 tests as skipper he averaged 52 with the bat and 20 with the ball which was better than what he averaged in his other 40 tests. Today he is into his 4th year as Prime Minister of Pakistan.

His record was 14 wins 8 losses and 26 draws and didnt lose a series against the mighty Windies. He lost 2 against Oz both in Oz, the first one in 83-84 when he had a back injury and missed the first 3 tests and Pakis were 1 test down and played the last 2 just as a batsman and they drew the game at MCG but lost at SCG. Pakistan lost the series in 1990-91, lost the first test by 90 odd runs at MCG then a draw at AO after he and Wasim made great hundreds batting together and draw at SCG.

His last 2 tests as skipper v Sri Lanka he didnt bowl. In the previous 6 tests before that, 3 against Oz in 90-91 and 3 against Windies he bowled, but not very much, but took wickets in 5 of those 6 tests.

In the series against India early on in his captaincy career in a 6 test series in India, he took 40 wickets and scored 250 runs and Pakistan won the series. Pakistan v India is as intense a series as any in the history of world cricket.

Plus he lead Pakistan to the World Cup in 1992 including knocking off NZ in NZ in the semifinal against a red hot Martin Crowe.

Wasim Akram was skipper for 25 tests for a 12 wins 8 losses and 5 draws record. Basically the same as Paine's record of 23-11-8-4.

Imran Khan showed a fast bowler can lead his country successfully long term. In his 48 tests as skipper he averaged 52 with the bat and 20 with the ball which was better than what he averaged in his other 40 tests. Today he is into his 4th year as Prime Minister of Pakistan.

His record was 14 wins 8 losses and 26 draws and didnt lose a series against the mighty Windies. He lost 2 against Oz both in Oz, the first one in 83-84 when he had a back injury and missed the first 3 tests and Pakis were 1 test down and played the last 2 just as a batsman and they drew the game at MCG but lost at SCG. Pakistan lost the series in 1990-91, lost the first test by 90 odd runs at MCG then a draw at AO after he and Wasim made great hundreds batting together and draw at SCG.

His last 2 tests as skipper v Sri Lanka he didnt bowl. In the previous 6 tests before that, 3 against Oz in 90-91 and 3 against Windies he bowled, but not very much, but took wickets in 5 of those 6 tests.

In the series against India early on in his captaincy career in a 6 test series in India, he took 40 wickets and scored 250 runs and Pakistan won the series. Pakistan v India is as intense a series as any in the history of world cricket.

Plus he lead Pakistan to the World Cup in 1992 including knocking off NZ in NZ in the semifinal against a red hot Martin Crowe.

Wasim Akram was skipper for 25 tests for a 12 wins 8 losses and 5 draws record. Basically the same as Paine's record of 23-11-8-4.

Bob Willis was 18 tests for 7 victories, 5 defeats, and 6 draws.

Kapil Dev loved a draw. 4 wins, 7 losses, 23 draws.

Cummins as skipper is a risk, but what we don't know is what's been said behind closed doors? Maybe Smith has stated that he doesn't want the job, and wants to concentrate on his batting - if he fails to fire during the series, it'll be happy days for the Poms.

And looking at the rest of the squad, there's really nobody else ready to take on such an important role. Maybe Labuschagne (at a stretch), but is he really ready?

Cummins as skipper is a risk, but what we don't know is what's been said behind closed doors? Maybe Smith has stated that he doesn't want the job, and wants to concentrate on his batting - if he fails to fire during the series, it'll be happy days for the Poms.

And looking at the rest of the squad, there's really nobody else ready to take on such an important role. Maybe Labuschagne (at a stretch), but is he really ready?

Labuschagne? No ******* way......

Ski
Bob Willis was 18 tests for 7 victories, 5 defeats, and 6 draws.

Kapil Dev loved a draw. 4 wins, 7 losses, 23 draws.
Pre this century/T20 cricket changing the game, most Paki and Indian skippers who captained for 20+ tests, had 40% to 60% draws because of those slow batsmen paradises on the subcontinent, and not wanting to lose, because they knew they would lose away from home. Plus they didn't want their homes fired bombed after a loss. ;)

India 20th century
Kapil...... 22/34 lost 7
Gavaskar 30/47 lost 8
Azharuddin 19/47 lost 14
Tendulkar 12/25 lost 9
Bedi..... 5/22 lost 11
Nawab of Pataudi 12/40 lost 19

21st century
Ganguly 15/49 lost 13
Dravid.. 11/25 lost 6
Dhoni.. 15/60 lost 18
Kohli... 11/65 lost 16

Pakistan in 20th century
Imran 26/48 lost 8
Javed 14/34 lost 6
Wasim 5/25 lost 8
A Kadhar 11/23 lost 6 (skipper in the 50's)
Mustaq 7/19 lost 4
Intikhab 11/17 lost 5
Zaheer 10/14 lost 1

Pakistan in 21st century
Misbah-ul-Haq.. 11/56 lost 19
Inzamam-ul-Haq 9/31 lost 11

After Steve Smith's slip up and then Paine's indiscretion I do not think CA would go back to Steve Smith. They are already copping enough flak for appointing Paine when they knew of his indiscretion so re appointing Smith would have the media in a frenzy. I do not know much about Labuschange's Captaincy experience so I will go with Cummins.

I think the argument isnt that someone else should be made skipper over Cummins.

The argument being made at least by me is that it is worrying he is the best option available.
At least 3 of the top 6 aren't even assured of a spot in the team - let alone being considered for a leadership role. A mate of mine jokingly texted me today, "Rumours abound that Bob Simpson is considering dusting off his cricket uniform and putting himself in the running for the Australian captaincy." :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back