Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cripps currently ranked 4th in history for the amount of clearances in a season with 185. Behind Brett ratten (265 huge outlier) and two josh Kennedy seasons of 190 and 187

On other debate points currently promoting Merrett. He's clearly a great player but he's been left alone to just pick up disposals whenever he wants as zaharakis has been the one getting tagged. This will clearly change next year particularly when other ball getters return which will cut his production. Merrett clearly had a great game yesterday. If prefer the inside midfielder over the outside player every day of the week. Cripps is a once in a generation player. There's plenty of accumulators out there however that kick the ball to space. With a bit more defensive pressure which carlton clearly didn't do yesterday Merrett wouldn't of been hitting up targets at will. Carlton didn't show up.

You seriously think Merrett's production will be cut with the return of key midfielders? He'll no longer have to battle away against bigger bodies and have more time to work on the outside and forward of the centre.

Cripps is also Carlton's go to midfielder at the vast majority stoppages which means his contested stats are inflated in a similar fashion to Libba in 2013 who had 184 clearances in 2013.

You seriously think Merrett's production will be cut with the return of key midfielders? He'll no longer have to battle away against bigger bodies and have more time to work on the outside and forward of the centre.

Cripps is also Carlton's go to midfielder at the vast majority stoppages which means his contested stats are inflated in a similar fashion to Libba in 2013 who had 184 clearances in 2013.
He gets his own ball. That is the difference. The majority of mergers comes on the outside and when Heppell and co return they will take a percentage of first usage out of the stoppage. Whereas Cripps will still be the guy giving the ball to the clearance player. See the difference???

That's the general consensus.

Only Essendon supporters would take Merrett over Josh Kelly.

Merrett reminds me so much of a young bomber Thompson I can't get my head around it. It's actually scary.

Merrett will get half the ball he gets next year, with Heppell back, there is only going to be so much cheap ball to go round... Someone will have to win it at the coal face.

He gets his own ball. That is the difference. The majority of mergers comes on the outside and when Heppell and co return they will take a percentage of first usage out of the stoppage. Whereas Cripps will still be the guy giving the ball to the clearance player. See the difference???
All you're saying is that it becomes easier next year for Merrett to find the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett reminds me so much of a young bomber Thompson I can't get my head around it. It's actually scary.

Merrett will get half the ball he gets next year, with Heppell back, there is only going to be so much cheap ball to go round... Someone will have to win it at the coal face.
So Merrett is going to average 15 disposals next season? Okay mete :rolleyes:

Confirmed that you literally know nothing about football. Absolutely nothing.

I'm somewhat amused that Merretts performance yesterday is being used as evidence of anything. I probably would have looked like a half functional footballer given the complete absence of any defensive pressure from the Blues. Having a day out in round 23 with one side already in Bali doesn't tell us anything.

That said, I do think that Merrett is a very good footballer.

I'm somewhat amused that Merretts performance yesterday is being used as evidence of anything. I probably would have looked like a half functional footballer given the complete absence of any defensive pressure from the Blues. Having a day out in round 23 with one side already in Bali doesn't tell us anything.

Not so much evidence, more a rebuke to the Carlton supporters who were saying he'd struggle to get a kick while Cripps would cut us to pieces.

Also it wasn't just round 23, he's done it all season.

So are Carlton the kind of side to give up and not show anything for the fans or the jumper? That says more about your club than it says about Merrett.

Even if you were witches hats, he was pretty bloody good at threading kicks in between the witches hats.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. Great footballer but doesn't compare to the 4th ranked clearance player (top 20 contested possession player historically too) in a season ever. Now that's saying something.

For me, the difference with Cripps game is that the inside clearance stuff is probably the most important aspect of the game and there aren't really many people who approach his level. He's already the second or third best inside player in the game and finding someone who could provide even 80% of his output would be difficult. You can't say the same about Merrett...but I'm biased obviously

I'm very happy with Merrett, but it is pretty pointless comparing stats like metres gained and outside/inside game when they are different players.

The better player is the one that performs their role the best. Merrett is a better rounded player than Cripps due to his outside abilities, but Cripp's inside work is just special. Elite at such a young age.

Taking nothing away from Merrett as he is having an amazing season, but Bontempelli and Cripps are 1 and 2 for me. Merrett however most definitely deserves to be in this conversation as he is having a comparable year.

Mergers??? Of the midfielders to come back only Stanton is an outside player. The inclusion of Myers, Heppell and possibly Watson will only help Merrett as he won't have to spend so much time battling against contested beasts like Cripps.

Essendon's inside midfielder this year was Bird, Parish and Merrett.

Last edited:
Everyone would take Bontempelli first and you'd be crazy not to.

Merrett and Cripps are such different midfielders that the arguments are pointless. Both would compliment eachother insanely well if they played for the same side.

Why are people saying Merretts stats are inflated compared to Cripps though? Because Essendon are missing half their side so for this argument it's convenient and that's the only reason he's winning so much ball? We flogged Carlton for 90% of yesterday's game, by that logic Cripps' are even more inflated.

They're both guns. Fans are biased and are always going to be. Let's just enjoy their careers without the pissing contest. For one to be good, the other doesn't have to be s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back