Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merrett has easily had the best pre season of the three, with both Cripps and Bont having limited pre seasons.Obviously Merrett would have the better Round 1, wouldn't he? Same thing happened with Bont last year, only really got going in round 6 and by the end of the year he was best and fairest in a premiership year and an All-Australian at the age of 21. It is silly to rate Merrett ahead of Bont based on round 1. Bont played well even though he didn't spend nearly enough midfield minutes as he usually does.

see

You're right, but Zerrett is better than that.

It's a coin flip between the two, it really is. Bont's versatility and big-moment effectiveness versus Zerrett's death-by-1000-cuts. The only question I really had on Zerrett would be his performance with Heppell and Watson back in the side, as he was the clear #1 in that midfield last year. He's shown on a massive stage that he's as good if not even better with them around him. Tick, tick, tick.

You're right, but Zerrett is better than that.

It's a coin flip between the two, it really is. Bont's versatility and big-moment effectiveness versus Zerrett's death-by-1000-cuts. The only question I really had on Zerrett would be his performance with Heppell and Watson back in the side, as he was the clear #1 in that midfield last year. He's shown on a massive stage that he's as good if not even better with them around him. Tick, tick, tick.
So now Merrett is as good as Bontempelli based off round 1. Great.

So now Merrett is as good as Bontempelli based off round 1. Great.
No, he was as good as him last year.

Zerrett went 30+ twelve times last year and racked up 19 Brownlow votes. He just didn't get the love because he was playing for a shattered Essendon side. The only question, as I said, was how he'd go with other huge talents around him as opposed to dross - was he a victim of Nathan Jones syndrome?

The answer is no. And that's why I have him just - just - above Bont. They're both awesome players. I'm just saying if I had to pick a side with one of those two starting off, it'd be Zerrett.

Absolutely yes, but dismissing Oliver and what he's doing right now is a disservice.

The reason people aren't talking about Oliver ITT is because he was not in the same draft class as these guys, which if you read the OP Was partly the catalyst for comparing the 3 (the other was that they were all young midfield guns who were going to romp in the B&F for their clubs).

The reason people aren't talking about Oliver ITT is because he was not in the same draft class as these guys, which if you read the OP Was partly the catalyst for comparing the 3 (the other was that they were all young midfield guns who were going to romp in the B&F for their clubs).
That's fair, I'll cop that.

Zerrett went 30+ twelve times last year and racked up 19 Brownlow votes. He just didn't get the love because he was playing for a shattered Essendon side. The only question, as I said, was how he'd go with other huge talents around him as opposed to dross - was he a victim of Nathan Jones syndrome?

The answer is no. And that's why I have him just - just - above Bont. They're both awesome players. I'm just saying if I had to pick a side with one of those two starting off, it'd be Zerrett.

lollll

If every player was put up for the draft there isn't a snowball's chance in hell anyone is taking Merrett before Bont. If you think that, 10 years of rabble watching has fried your brain.

Lachie ******* Hunter had 7-8 games last year just like Merrett's game tonight. This thread should be a fun one as the year plays out.

lollll

If every player was put up for the draft there isn't a snowball's chance in hell anyone is taking Merrett before Bont. If you think that, -0 years of rabble watching has fried your brain.

Lachie ******* Hunter had 7-8 games last year like Merrett's game tonight. No on is spraining him as the second coming of GAJ.
What, and Bont doesn't have flaws? Like how he has a bad habit of going missing for a quarter?

Everyone in this thread is claiming Bont as the second coming of Senior when he does still have flaws. He's immense. But so is Zerrett, and guys that do what he does on a weekly basis as he was in 2016 and has followed up in Round 1 are just as special.

doggies fans rushing in the second Bont no longer the clear front runner.....
I love Zach's game. Its the reason i rate Pendles, Ablett and Mitchell ahead of Danger and Fyfe. They may not be freak athletes (ablett sort of is), but will they destroy you with the ball in hand.

FYI - we have two other threads to raise.
Petracca v Brayshaw v Langford/Steele/Stretch (last one TBD)
Oliver v Parish v Hopper (which will be enjoyable).

What, and Bont doesn't have flaws? Like how he has a bad habit of going missing for a quarter?

Everyone in this thread is claiming Bont as the second coming of Senior when he does still have flaws. He's immense. But so is Zerrett, and guys that do what he does on a weekly basis as he was in 2016 and has followed up in Round 1 are just as special.
check 2015 too. He was doing some good work back then too. A little raw and still following Hepp and co around a bit. But he was showing signs.

Scuse me while I go masturbate furiously

On a serious note it'd be Petracca v Brayshaw v Heeney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lollll

If every player was put up for the draft there isn't a snowball's chance in hell anyone is taking Merrett before Bont. If you think that, 10 years of rabble watching has fried your brain.

Lachie ******* Hunter had 7-8 games last year just like Merrett's game tonight. This thread should be a fun one as the year plays out.
Merrett's game tonight has been a continuation of a full season in 2016 and a lot of good games in 2015.
Lets not pretend like he had a handful of games last season and everyone has lost their minds over him
Kid is a jet. Will be a top 10-15 player by seasons end.

doggies fans rushing in the second Bont no longer the clear front runner.....
I love Zach's game. Its the reason i rate Pendles, Ablett and Mitchell ahead of Danger and Fyfe. They may not be freak athletes (ablett sort of is), but will they destroy you with the ball in hand.

FYI - we have two other threads to raise.
Oliver v Parish v Hopper (which will be enjoyable).

Haha Bombers fans rushing in the second Merrett has a Lachie Hunter-esque game.

I'm sorry, but there is no way that Zerrett was as good as Bontempelli last year, as good as Zerrett was. Bontempelli regularily tore apart games, without needing to collect 30+ disposals to be best on ground. The number of disposals you see on your screen means s**t all when comparing these players, it's what they do with it, and Bont has more impact with less disposals. Bontempelli was statistically the best player in the Grand Final according to Schick Player Ratings, after collecting 'only' 22 disposals. Like I said, the amount of disposals mean s**t all at the end of the day.

I have no doubt in my mind, and you can bookmark this post, that Bont will comfortably be the better player at seasons end, disregarding injury of course.

Bont is still comfortably better than the other two. However to say that Zachy's game was like Lachie Hunter? Shut up, you know nothing Jon Snow.

Haha Bombers fans rushing in the second Merrett has a Lachie Hunter-esque game.
Why do you keep saying this? Everyone in this thread thought it was a s**t comparison the first time, but you've thrown it out there again.
Your supporters are starting to sound like Hawthorn v2. Bandwagoning, self-indulgent dolts.

Merrett is on a completely different level to Hunter. Don't embarrass yourself by equating the two.

Why do you keep saying this? Everyone in this thread thought it was a s**t comparison the first time, but you've thrown it out there again.

Haha it's spot on, he's playing the Hunter role now that the midfield is back, just as I predicted.

Hunter had 700+ disposals and 13 Brownlow Votes last year. That's exactly where Merrett would sit in our midfield hierarchy. Duking it out with Hunter and Macrae on the outside.

It's not an insult, I love those two players, but just putting things in perspective for you when he's being bandied about as a top 10 player in the league.

Haha it's spot on, he's playing the Hunter role now that the midfield is back, just as I predicted.

Hunter had 700+ disposals and 13 Brownlow Votes last year. That's exactly where Merrett would sit in our midfield hierarchy. Duking it out with Hunter and Macrae on the outside.

It's not an insult, I love those two players, but just putting things in perspective for you when he's being bandied about as a top 10 player in the league.
Merrett would be your most consistent midfielder by a stretch. Probably gets more votes than Bont too considering he had 19 in the bottom side.

Merrett is so much more inside than Macrae and ESPECIALLY Hunter.
It's a stupid comparison, he would be your second best player, not just "duking it out" with some of your outside mids.
He is also our second best player, behind Heppell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back